Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELP News; Carl Palmer and crew

Not something I would go out of my way for, but if it came close to home, I might check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I will respectfully dis-agree. I don't think it's gonna mean more asses in seats for Carl. I think it will draw the 400-600 that he usually draws.

time will tell.
    400-600, that's interesting. I just looked up the seating capacity for the 2300 Arena in Philly. 400 for(small bar) 2000(large room).
    Wonder which one he is booked in.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Oh no, he absolutely will get more butts in seats by changing the bill from "Carl Palmer Band" to "The Return of ELP." With the former you get the subset of "true" fans who will see just him with a couple of other guys (and no keyboards). With the latter you pick up ELP fans who just want to relive those glory days even if it's slightly pretend. Plus any fans who don't realize that it's 2/3 virtual, 1/3 live.
    Plus don't forget the super casual fans who don't even know that Greg and Keith are dead.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    400-600, that's interesting. I just looked up the seating capacity for the 2300 Arena in Philly. 400 for(small bar) 2000(large room).
    Wonder which one he is booked in.
    I'm not sure where you saw that. According to wikipedia the seating capacity is 1,300. It seems unlikely to me that this show would not be at least 75 percent full. A lot of the non hardcore prog types will probably do less speculating and judging and will just want to go to see it if for no other reason than to relive the old days.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 09-07-2022 at 12:18 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm not sure where you saw that. Accordint to wikipedia the seating capacity is 1,300. It seems unlikely to me that this show would not be at least 75 percent full. A lot of the non hardcore prog types will probably do less speculating and judging and will just want to go to see it if for no other reason than to relive the old days.
    https://www.indieonthemove.com/venue...a-pennsylvania
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I think it will draw the 400-600 that he usually draws.
    18 Nov Philadelphia, PA 2300 Arena
    20 Nov Jim Thorpe, PA Penn's Peak
    22 Nov Wayne, NJ Shea Center
    23 Nov Patchogue, NY Patchogue Theater
    25 Nov New York, NY Town Hall
    26 Nov New Haven, CT College St. Music Hall
    27 Nov Boston, MA Wilbur Theatree
    01 Dec St, Charles, IL Arcada Theatre
    02 Dec Des Plaines, IL Des Plaines Theatre
    03 Dec Akron, OH The Goodyear Theater

If he still only draws 400-600, the above theaters will be close to empty. Seems like the promoters are counting on the "Return of ELP" bringing in alot more than Carl's usual. All of those venues are 1500-2000 seaters. Though that Philly venue is an odd choice. I never even heard of that one and in looking at past shows there, its all wrestling and boxing events.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    This is just sad and pointless.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Though that Philly venue is an odd choice. I never even heard of that one and in looking at past shows there, its all wrestling and boxing events.
    Never heard of it, either.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

18 Nov Philadelphia, PA 2300 Arena
    20 Nov Jim Thorpe, PA Penn's Peak
    22 Nov Wayne, NJ Shea Center
    23 Nov Patchogue, NY Patchogue Theater
    25 Nov New York, NY Town Hall
    26 Nov New Haven, CT College St. Music Hall
    27 Nov Boston, MA Wilbur Theatree
    01 Dec St, Charles, IL Arcada Theatre
    02 Dec Des Plaines, IL Des Plaines Theatre
    03 Dec Akron, OH The Goodyear Theater

If he still only draws 400-600, the above theaters will be close to empty. Seems like the promoters are counting on the "Return of ELP" bringing in alot more than Carl's usual. All of those venues are 1500-2000 seaters. Though that Philly venue is an odd choice. I never even heard of that one and in looking at past shows there, its all wrestling and boxing events.
    2300 Arena is the old ECW Arena. Perhaps Raven and Francine will show up to the gig.

If he still only draws 400-600, the above theaters will be close to empty. Seems like the promoters are counting on the "Return of ELP" bringing in alot more than Carl's usual. All of those venues are 1500-2000 seaters.
    Thanks for this. I might be completely reading the market wrong (not like that’s ever happened to me before )….
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Plus don't forget the super casual fans who don't even know that Greg and Keith are dead.
    Well I guess they'll find out!

Or at least they will receive residuals from increased sales of their library of albums and songs, perhaps being introduced to a new generation of fans who never saw them.
    Yeah...I don't see that happening. It's blokes playing along to video screens.

I guess that the raw videotape footage from the Royal Albert Hall show(s) recorded must still exist for the two-screen to be possible. Some of what's in the trailer does look like unused footage. That is the only interesting thing about this to me.
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-19-2022 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    So, what do you fellow PE'ers think? A good idea whose time has come, or what?
    I say it's a Bad Idea! I prefer to see musicians performing In The Flesh (and not as holograms or backup films).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    I say it's a Bad Idea! I prefer to see musicians performing In The Flesh (and not as holograms or backup films).
    Agreed (thus the Nat Cole/Natalie Cole analogy).

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Agreed (thus the Nat Cole/Natalie Cole analogy).
    Wasn't Tupac a hologram also at one point? I forget the details of that though.

Tupac started out as a hologram and later became human.

Weird way to do it.

This isn't holograms or anything like the ABBA Voyage show. It's Palmer and two others in his band, playing along with video screens of Emerson and Lake. I assume it would be click-track as well or the timing will be all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I assume it would be click-track as well or the timing will be all over the place.
    I find this idea humorous, given the proclivities of live ELP. And yet, it would doubtless have to be the case.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^Yes there is an irony, for sure! Some of the RAH show was like that at the time, Palmer had headphones on for some of it, ISTR.

It will be a weird thing- in some ways quite literally the same show every night.

Banned
    I for one think it's nice that Top Cat doesn't assume the worst, quite refreshing. It's hard for me to imagine that money is his only motivation. Still, I find the whole thing rather sad. I get a vision of a crowd of senior citizens watching the dead heroes of their youth projected on stage and accompanied by the sole survivor. Good luck to them, but you'd have to pay me a nice sum to sit through that.

I'd go just to see Paul Bielatowicz!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Dreadful idea, definitely sounds like a cash grab by Carl and the families to me. You think this is the way to honor them? Yikes.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    I for one think it's nice that Top Cat doesn't assume the worst, quite refreshing. It's hard for me to imagine that money is his only motivation. Still, I find the whole thing rather sad. I get a vision of a crowd of senior citizens watching the dead heroes of their youth projected on stage and accompanied by the sole survivor. Good luck to them, but you'd have to pay me a nice sum to sit through that.
    Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.

I do think in reflection, the tour title is not the best choice.
    Something like The Carl Palmer Band celebrates the music of ELP or something like that.
    Or, The Carl Palmer Band with special guests Elvis, Sinatra, Emerson Lake and others.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not something I would go out of my way for, but if it came close to home, I might check it out.
    Yeah. I'm curious enough to see how the live musicians work with a more robust sound that I'd go were it close. Nowhere near Charlotte, so I'm not going to worry about it. "Meh" is basically where I stand.

I don't have a problem with it.
    Everyone is assuming the worst in Carl's motivation, and presuming it's a "cash grab" by him, only to profit financially.
    The vitriolic reactions are understandable (to a certain degree--were CP standing here, would y'all say some of the things you have?), but I suppose this is where I land, too. I don't want to presume CP's financial situation, but it's likely to be pretty good, right?

Is it possible Carl is doing this to honor not only his former bandmates( 2 great and talented musicians), and most of all his friends.
    Were I being a little more optimistic (rather than lukewarm-neutral), then yeah, I'd like to think this is the case, but of course we are all just speculating. Who knows besides CP, the other musicians (maybe) and the involved estates (again, maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    He shoulda got Igor Khoroshev and Geddy...

That way it coulda been

"ee"LP plays the music of ELP.
    I get this was played for laughs, but it did get me thinking.

The band name is entirely problematic. Let's pretend the band had called themselves "The Barbarians" or "Tarkus" or just anything besides "ELP." CP could get a new band around him and tour. There'd be detractors--just look at our Yes threads--but I think most folks would shrug and say "this is ok" or "this isn't for me, but that's ok, too."

I know that this situation is definitely not the same thing, but it seems that the only way CP can tour this music is in relative obscurity with young musicians or by doing something like this (which, clearly, the majority of fans here are against). He has a major player in this music. Maybe this is the best way he could come up with to continue touring this music.

I'd go to a show if the marquee said "The Barbarians, featuring Jordan Rudess, Marc Bonilla and original member Carl Palmer." Hell, I'd go see that band regardless of what it was called!

Alas.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Edwin [Jobson], Lee & Palmer. Now that would be a band!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^Lee as in Sarah Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Edwin [Jobson], Lee & Palmer. Now that would be a band!
    That would kill. I'd be all in for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    ^Lee as in Sarah Lee?
    BYOP. (Bring Your Own Pie)