Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rush - Lee & Lifeson at Wembley Stadium (Taylor Hawkins tribute concert)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I think Wolfgang Van Halen was the hilight of it all though. His spot on recreation of his Dad's playing on "Hot For Teacher" and "I'm On Fire" was eye opening. Never heard anyone play those and sound so much like Eddie. Wolf has the DNA on his side.
    Ditto. Seeing Wolf rip those leads was awesome. He was clearly enjoying himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I hear you, but Neil would never have wanted a spectacle like this in his honor.
    Is it common to arrange memorial concerts for artists that pass? Does age make a difference? Hawkins was rather young. Peart also passed too young, but older and under difference circumstances.

very cool, thanks for sharing.

Omar Hakim was excellent on YYZ and old Grohl can bash around on drums better than anyone.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Ditto. Seeing Wolf rip those leads was awesome. He was clearly enjoying himself.
    I quite enjoy Wolf's Mammoth album and I totally respect that at his own concerts he only plays his own music, but seeing him play his father's guitar parts on Van Halen songs was jaw-dropping. He seemed to having a blast too. Good for him!
    Chad

The eons are closing
    The beginning of H4T was superlative!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I have to wonder how much the pandemic had to do with the lack of a concert of sort for Neil Peart -- personally speaking because both my grandmother and husband died early in the pandemic, we really never got a proper send off for them either...

Seeing the way Taylor died definitely hit home, and I could really see the love that everyone there had for him, and I thought that alone was one of the most beautiful things Ive seen in a long time.

...But yeah, Alex was kinda rusty lol.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

excuse me if I don't honor drug addicts. the guy had 10 different foreign substances in his body.
    I have watch so many people destroy their lives and I just don't get the message from this tribute concert.
    Dave Growl better be careful, he's going to end up on this same road.
    another tribute to reward addiction.
    over the past 60 years we lost so many talented people to drugs, and no one gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    excuse me if I don't honor drug addicts. the guy had 10 different foreign substances in his body.
    I have watch so many people destroy their lives and I just don't get the message from this tribute concert.
    over the past 60 years we lost so many talented people to drugs, and no one gets it.
    You seem nice.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    You seem nice.

As we said when I was young, "Reality is for people who can't handle drugs."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This is one of the most closed-minded posts I've read here since 2004. Congrats!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

So let's honor only sober artists? Why because they live their lives in such a "perfect" fashion? Oh OK, that's such a wonderful way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    I have to wonder how much the pandemic had to do with the lack of a concert of sort for Neil Peart -- personally speaking because both my grandmother and husband died early in the pandemic, we really never got a proper send off for them either...
    Could be. Although from what I know of Peart he seemed like a quiet type who might not have wanted a tribute concert anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    This is one of the most closed-minded posts I've read here since 2004. Congrats!
    I knew i would get some heat for my post, but I did it anyway.
    I stand behind everything I said.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Could be. Although from what I know of Peart he seemed like a quiet type who might not have wanted a tribute concert anyway.
    But after the artist is dead the tribute is really for the edification of the living anyway. Peart's not around to be embarrassed, annoyed, or overcome by a lethal attack of humility.
    <sig out of order>

You seem nice.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I quite enjoy Wolf's Mammoth album and I totally respect that at his own concerts he only plays his own music, but seeing him play his father's guitar parts on Van Halen songs was jaw-dropping. He seemed to having a blast too. Good for him!
    Did you catch Beato's vlog this week about the guy who wrote to him asking him to line up Wolf's live solo for "Hot for Teacher" and the album's because it sounded "maybe too perfect"?

Wolf's been playing his dad's stuff since he was how old?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    So do I.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Did you catch Beato's vlog this week about the guy who wrote to him asking him to line up Wolf's live solo for "Hot for Teacher" and the album's because it sounded "maybe too perfect"?

Wolf's been playing his dad's stuff since he was how old?
    If you listen closely, you can hear where he deviates some. It's clearly not the record, but it's close enough to be extremely impressive.

The kid gets a lot of hate for reasons I'll never understand.

I have no issue with this tribute concert, but I've been asking myself "Why Taylor Hawkins?". He was a likable, talented guy, and a slammin drummer, but with all the true legends that have passed over the past 10-20 years, many of which were non-drug related, why him? I'm not taking a jab at the guy, or even people who like to do drugs (I've done plenty). It just seems odd for the "Superfriends of the Music Biz" to convene for this.
    And what's up with that guy from the Darkness?

If you listen closely, you can hear where he deviates some. It's clearly not the record, but it's close enough to be extremely impressive.

He made it look so easy. I think that has to be one reason why some people might not have believed it was real. But it was a pretty stupid question, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Neither do I. It takes a total dipshit to watch that clip and not understand that it's 100% live.

The eons are closing
    Beato shouldn't drunk self email maybe?!

[emoji38] j/k
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Standing behind a heartless post isn’t a virtue.

also you've always sucked dude, eat my ass
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.