Thread: Masayoshi Takanaka -- tell me more!

Masayoshi Takanaka -- tell me more!

I just kind of discovered him recently -- Anyone here a fan of this japanese fusion guitarist? Can anyone tell me more about him?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Yes!! I don't know much about him, but I've got a few of his albums (some studio, and the two Super Collection 2-disc sets for the Kitty Years and EMI Years).

夏・全・開 (Natsu zenkai) is really good. I tracked down a used vinyl copy because I liked it so much. It has the tracks "Paradizzy" and "Eyelands", which are two of my faves. But that whole disc is good from beginning to end IMO. Really fun and enjoyable city pop with some jazz fusion elements.

What have you heard by him so far? I don't want to go on about stuff you might have already heard.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I mainly know of him via his work with his early bands Flied Egg and Sadistic Mika Band, but the Youtube algorithm has been boosting his solo albums, so maybe I should give one of those a try some day.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I have Rainbow Goblins Story on 2LP and CD. They are not identical. I'm not a Fusion guy, but there are Proggy elements, and it's a solid album. I've never regretted getting them.

He is a master guitarist of fusion/prog and I am a huge fan going back many years. He bagan his career in the prog band Flied Egg. Granted a few of his later solo released were less fusion and really should be avoided.

Rainbow Goblins is a masterpiece. The video "Rainbow Goblins Story (Live At Budokan) 1981" is stunning. Unfortunately it was only released on laserdisc...maybe VHS. No DVD that I know of. The story/narration is a bit childish, but the music is awesome. You can watch it on YouTube https://youtu.be/vxD4Wbd_Fuo
    Last edited by progcd54; 09-02-2022 at 01:32 AM.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

I only have Super Takanaka Live!, originally released in 1980. I had it on tape for many years and was happy to find a CD (the re-issue from 1990), so after my taperecorder quit services I could play it again with pleasure. Not a huge fan, but enjoyable fusion.
    He has his own youtube-channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxS...rw?app=desktop

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yes!! I don't know much about him, but I've got a few of his albums (some studio, and the two Super Collection 2-disc sets for the Kitty Years and EMI Years).

夏・全・開 (Natsu zenkai) is really good. I tracked down a used vinyl copy because I liked it so much. It has the tracks "Paradizzy" and "Eyelands", which are two of my faves. But that whole disc is good from beginning to end IMO. Really fun and enjoyable city pop with some jazz fusion elements.

What have you heard by him so far? I don't want to go on about stuff you might have already heard.
    Ive only just watched clips and stuff on youtube, I dont own any albums, but I was interested in Rainbow Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    He is a master guitarist of fusion/prog and I am a huge fan going back many years. He bagan his career in the prog band Flied Egg. Granted a few of his later solo released were less fusion and really should be avoided.

Rainbow Goblins is a masterpiece. The video "Rainbow Goblins Story (Live At Budokan) 1981" is stunning. Unfortunately it was only released on laserdisc...maybe VHS. No DVD that I know of. The story/narration is a bit childish, but the music is awesome. You can watch it on YouTube https://youtu.be/vxD4Wbd_Fuo
    Is the later stuff more like japanese city pop then? getting curious about that stuff too heh

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    Ive only just watched clips and stuff on youtube, I dont own any albums, but I was interested in Rainbow Goblin
    I haven't heard the whole of that album (yet), but there are some tracks from Rainbow Goblins on one of the CD sets I've got, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    Is the later stuff more like japanese city pop then? getting curious about that stuff too heh
    There is some great stuff in the city pop genre. Some of Takanaka's music falls into that category I think, although still with his fusiony guitar stylings.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I have Rainbow Goblin, and I like it but it does not have the heaviness that I really love in fusion music. Still, he is a very talented player!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

very much appreciate all the replies! Watched another live video this morning from 2011, it was really good stuff!