Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beatles "Revolver" Box Set Fall of 2022

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Listening on Apple through Air Pods Pro sounds great. Like most of the Beatles remasters the things that stand out to me are the bass and drums. And in case you were unaware: Ringo is the effin man.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

No multichannel mix in the box set, huge disappointment!

The exclusion of a Blu-ray of the 5.1 in the big set is a dreadful misjudgement and makes it seem like terribly bad value for money. Not that I was buying it anyway. The 2cd looks like the best value package, even including the two new mixes on the EP!

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Listening on Apple through Air Pods Pro sounds great. Like most of the Beatles remasters the things that stand out to me are the bass and drums. And in case you were unaware: Ringo is the effin man.
    There's a reason why the bass and drums stand out.

Those two are still alive.

I confess, it took me to grow into my adult years until I learned to truly appreciate Ringo's mastery. I always thought he was a great player. But, his innovation is what took a while to appreciate.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

By Pepper, Paul would record the bass last on most songs to insure it wasn't buried with all of the track bouncing they had to do to create space for overdubs on the four-track tapes. I forget if he was already doing that on Revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The exclusion of a Blu-ray of the 5.1 in the big set is a dreadful misjudgement and makes it seem like terribly bad value for money.
    Yes, a startling misstep. Evidently this is the logical conclusion of making the CD set match the vinyl, but what is the point of that to begin with???
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Ember
    My initial enthusiasm is crushed. I was excited at the prospect of getting stuff I don't already have and experiencing the music in new ways -- high resolution Atmos mixes, specifically. I certainly don't need to pay this kind of money for new stereo mixes, and I don't really need any more Beatles books either.

Lost sale here.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    No multichannel mix in the box set, huge disappointment!
    Where is the info from?
    And will there be multichannel outside the box?

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Where is the info from?
    And will there be multichannel outside the box?
    Dolby Atmos, but only via streaming apps/sites... Of which I'm totally ignorant. Not sure how Atmos translates to a mere 5.1 setup. I've only recently acquired one and haven't tried playing any Atmos on it.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Dolby Atmos, but only via streaming apps/sites... Of which I'm totally ignorant. Not sure how Atmos translates to a mere 5.1 setup. I've only recently acquired one and haven't tried playing any Atmos on it.
    Oy, this sux. I don't have a way to stream 5.1...

Dolby Atmos, but only via streaming apps/sites...
    Yikes, I saw that it was going to be digital-only, but I didn't realize you couldn't even buy it as a download. Sure enough, the iTunes version is just the CD/LP material.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yes, a startling misstep. Evidently this is the logical conclusion of making the CD set match the vinyl, but what is the point of that to begin with???
    Probably sell more expensive vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Probably sell more expensive vinyl.
    It blows my mind that intentionally crippling one format is a good business move. I guess they know what they're doing, which is why they're rich and I'm poor.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I was excited at the prospect of getting stuff I don't already have and experiencing the music in new ways
    Two discs of outtakes.

Full breakdown as follows (someone else built this list)

Five Anthology 2 repeats

TNK Take 1
    GTGYIML Take 5
    AYBCS/Take 2/Giggling
    I'm Only Sleeping (Rehearsal Fragment)
    Taxman (Take 11)

(Yellow Sub Take 4 appears in a different mix on the Real Love CD single)

and

four previously booted tracks

Paperback Writer (Takes 1 & 2/Backing Track) -- we have the vocal on Take 2
    Tomorrow Never Knows (Mono Mix RM 11)
    For No One (Take 10/Backing Track) -- we have the monitor mixes
    She Said She Said (John's Demo)

and three actual versions of circulating outtfakes:

Rain (Take 5)
    Rain (Take 5/Slowed Down For Master Tape)
    And Your Bird Can Sing (First Version/Take 2) -- we have OOPSed versions

That leaves 19 truly unreleased tracks. That's most of the set.

- Public Restroom Wall

My memory with the white album is that the deluxe set had three discs worth of extra material not on the mass-market set. (Which was the album and then the third disc had the Esher Demos.) That seems like by far the best value set that they've released. This Revolver one looks like the worst. I do not see how £130-40 for the CD set is remotely justifiable for something with so little content.

The Anthology CDs don't really sound that great. When I heard the older mixes of some of the outtakes in bootleg-land, I couldn't believe how much worse the Anthology ones sounded, and full of arbitrary edits etc. So the duplicated tracks should still be quite different on the new Revolver set.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It blows my mind that intentionally crippling one format is a good business move..
    It's what the industry did before with records in favour of CDs- now they are doing it in reverse. But you're aware that they think people who still like physical media generally are a pest. Well, tough.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Anthology CDs don't really sound that great. When I heard the older mixes of some of the outtakes in bootleg-land, I couldn't believe how much worse the Anthology ones sounded, and full of arbitrary edits etc. So the duplicated tracks should still be quite different on the new Revolver set.
    Yes, the Anthology is a bit of a mess and also had some serious omissions.

- Public Restroom Wall

Anyone have the current 10% off code for Deep Discounts? They have the best prices on this set and I’ve used up all my e-mail accounts to get the current code.

If you’re going to use the Beatles website, the 10% off code is WELCOME10. (This website is the only one offering the picture disc)
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/beat...-giles-martin/
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

- Public Restroom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Anyone have the current 10% off code for Deep Discounts? They have the best prices on this set and I’ve used up all my e-mail accounts to get the current code.

If you’re going to use the Beatles website, the 10% off code is WELCOME10. (This website is the only one offering the picture disc)
    I got a 10% Off code from Deep Discounts today: 55C7EAS7
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I can now listen to all of the 2022 tracks on Apple Music, in lossless.

Well, the outtakes are pretty great. It does make one wonder why some of these weren't on the Anthology, but that seems to be par for the course.

I have not listened to the new stereo mix yet.

FWIW, if you drop the whopping ten-minute disc 5 (stereo/mono Paperback Writer and Rain), you can fit everything else on two CDs. Stereo mix and outtake disc 1 on one, and mono mix and outtake disc 2 on the other.

- Public Restroom Wall

If anybody has the inside, it’s Giles Martin, Sir George’s son.

Thanks for posting the interview. I've heard a lot of these points before, but it was nice to hear Giles talking at length about the remixing process. From this album, the revelation for me was John's early version of Yellow Submarine. I love that fragment. It was totally at odds with the jolly Ringo tune that it morphed into. I had always thought that it was a Paul song, but it was a true collaboration.

Listening to the Dolby Atmos on Apple and, like all the previous deluxe remixed albums, it’s a marvel. It’s almost hard to believe that these are the same recordings that I first heard through a transistor radio and on my parents console stereo in 1966. The additional detail revealed is just thrilling and that’s taking into account my not-insignificant higher end hearing loss and tinnitus. I’ve owned the entire catalog in so many formats and never regretted a single purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut