Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beatles "Revolver" Box Set Fall of 2022

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beatles "Revolver" Box Set Fall of 2022

I'm beginning to hear commercials for the Revolver box set scheduled for a Fall release. It mentions a remix by Giles (pronounced "Gills" in the ad) Martin, and does call it a deluxe box. But, it does not mention outtakes, of which there better be many.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

A tracklist has already been suggested, although no one knows if it's just a rumour or the real deal. I'm doubtful because of the 4-track CD, which looks like a parody of the much-criticised/mocked EP in the Let It Be box, but who knows ?

Anyway, scroll down to the tracklist in this article -
    https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...atles-reissue/
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    A tracklist has already been suggested, although no one knows if it's just a rumour or the real deal. I'm doubtful because of the 4-track CD, which looks like a parody of the much-criticised/mocked EP in the Let It Be box, but who knows ?

Anyway, scroll down to the tracklist in this article -
    https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...atles-reissue/
    ^^ One can speculate. ^^
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I understand that the leaked tracklist is bona-fide.

Ember
    I must have this. Beyond Revolver being my by-a-mile favorite Beatles album, Rain/Paperback Writer is beyond compare my favorite Beatles single. I would nominate it as the greatest single by anybody, any time.

Of course, I have a personal memory linking me to that single. When I was 14, I went with my Mom on a train trip from Chicago to LA to visit her sister. I begged to get to take the Capitol Records Tower tour, and we did... and they were giving away the PW/R single to the tourists. I wore the damn thing out on my cousin's record player before I ever got it home, but I credit this single -- Rain especially -- with me becoming a bass player shortly thereafter.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Rain/Paperback Writer is beyond compare my favorite Beatles single.
    Mine as well!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Mine as well!
    Definitely one of their best, yes.

I'll pass. Certain albums are perfect-as-they-are, and no amount of gilding the lily, varnishing a turd or scraping the bottom of an outtakes barrel is going to improve my opinion of it. To me, it just smacks of money grubbing. Giles Martin is a fine engineer, but his dad was no slouch.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I'll pass. Certain albums are perfect-as-they-are, and no amount of gilding the lily, varnishing a turd or scraping the bottom of an outtakes barrel is going to improve my opinion of it. To me, it just smacks of money grubbing. Giles Martin is a fine engineer, but his dad was no slouch.
    I'm also not a fan of remasters just for the sake of it, but the Abbey Road album in high res audio was just amazing. Same with Let It Be, I heard instruments that I never heard before with the additional clarity provided.

I'll pass.
    You're a stronger man than I am. I just feel no need for a remix of Revolver, and the "bonus EP" bullshit and the main discs being filled to less than half their capacity is downright infuriating. But I really do want those "Sessions" discs.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    You're a stronger man than I am. I just feel no need for a remix of Revolver, and the "bonus EP" bullshit and the main discs being filled to less than half their capacity is downright infuriating. But I really do want those "Sessions" discs.
    I love the mono Revolver and don't need a Giles remix. I, too, care mostly about the outtakes.

The discs are way too short.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I love the mono Revolver and don't need a Giles remix. I, too, care mostly about the outtakes.

The discs are way too short.
    I have the Beatles boxset on vinyl, and agree, the mono version is complete!
    For fun, I picked up the stereo version on vinyl at Walmart of all places, and while I enjoy a stereo mix of it, the mono version to me is sooo much better.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have the Beatles boxset on vinyl, and agree, the mono version is complete!
    For fun, I picked up the stereo version on vinyl at Walmart of all places, and while I enjoy a stereo mix of it, the mono version to me is sooo much better.
    Yep, the monos are definitive, since the band had no role in the stereo mixes up to and including "Sgt. Pepper."

I'm not a fan of Giles' mixes, as many already know here.

Banned
    I can relate to your perspective, and I think it's especially true for those of us that ran down to the local record store to lay our $7 down on the just-released vinyl original. I mean this was actually history in the making for us (then) Beatle fans, who had collected every album they released since early 1964. To hear their most psychedelic music to date and in stereo, I mean that was literally a mind-bending experience! I couldn't believe my ears at what was coming through the speakers in my console-based record player.

When I sold my 18 Beatles studio vinyl collection a few years ago, I examined the "Revolver" cover for a little extra time, before agreeing to the final sale. I said to myself, "this is not dying...".

I have issues with the loud-ish mastering, but I quite like the Giles Martin stereo remixes I've heard. They also aren't replacing the originals, which was one of the various issues I have with the Nick Davis/Genesis ones.

Revolver is an album which had a patchy stereo mix originally (the primary focus was still on the mono then) so I'm interested to hear the new one.

I don't have any of the big boxes anyway. But I understand that the shorter disc length is because they want standardisation across the two formats. In other words, there's now less extra material on the CDs because they also want to fit the contents of one CD on only one record.

BTW 'Paperback Writer' and 'Rain' (along with 'Yellow Submarine'/'Eleanor Rigby') have received remixes on the 1+ CD/DVD/Blu-ray set from 2015 or so. 'Rain' was only on the bonus disc of the DVD or Blu-ray, as it was a B side. That project often seems overlooked as it predated the current programme of remixes.
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-02-2022 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I have issues with the loud-ish mastering, but I quite like the Giles Martin stereo remixes I've heard. They also aren't replacing the originals, which was one of the various issues I have with the Nick Davis/Genesis ones.

Revolver is an album which had a patchy stereo mix originally (the primary focus was still on the mono then) so I'm interested to hear the new one.

I don't have any of the big boxes anyway. But I understand that the shorter disc length is because they want standardisation across the two formats. In other words, there's now less extra material on the CDs because they also want to fit the contents of one CD on only one record.

BTW 'Paperback Writer' and 'Rain' (along with 'Yellow Submarine'/'Eleanor Rigby') have received remixes on the 1+ CD/DVD/Blu-ray set from 2015 or so. 'Rain' was only on the bonus disc of the DVD or Blu-ray, as it was a B side. That project often seems overlooked as it predated the current programme of remixes.
    "I am the walrus" from the LOVE compilation was also a mix I especially loved, with those heavy strings

i bought the Sgt Peeper re-master - but it was no big deal and I bought the White album for the demos - but I let Let it Be, be. I rather like the crude stereo separation on the older albums- it's what they sound like.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

^Yes that was the first time the second half of that track had ever been in stereo, I think? The original stereo mix just switches to fake stereo around 'Sitting in an English garden...'. I'm guessing it's because the engineers at the time couldn't easily execute the radio tuning effects again for stereo...or couldn't be bothered!

^Yes that was the first time the second half of that track had ever been in stereo, I think? The original stereo mix just switches to fake stereo around 'Sitting in an English garden...'. I'm guessing it's because the engineers at the time couldn't easily execute the radio tuning effects again for stereo...or couldn't be bothered!
    I don't know, but that one has always been my fave Beatles song!

^Yes that was the first time the second half of that track had ever been in stereo, I think? The original stereo mix just switches to fake stereo around 'Sitting in an English garden...'
    I hear that as the part where the drugs kick in even more strongly than the first half.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I hear that as the part where the drugs kick in even more strongly than the first half.
    I don't know, the "drugs" seem to be a strong influence on track 2, "Eleanor", track 3, "I'm Only Sleeping", track 4, "Love To You" and cut 7, "She Said She Said". Side 2 seems to contain more of the sunshine, happier tracks, which are quite good as well.

Did George Martin? If so, that's good enough for me.
    Welcome back, good to see you again.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 09-04-2022 at 08:36 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Listening on Apple through Air Pods Pro sounds great. Like most of the Beatles remasters the things that stand out to me are the bass and drums. And in case you were unaware: Ringo is the effin man.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Listening on Apple through Air Pods Pro sounds great. Like most of the Beatles remasters the things that stand out to me are the bass and drums. And in case you were unaware: Ringo is the effin man.
    There's a reason why the bass and drums stand out.

Those two are still alive.

I confess, it took me to grow into my adult years until I learned to truly appreciate Ringo's mastery. I always thought he was a great player. But, his innovation is what took a while to appreciate.