Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: House Of The Dragon discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    he realizes that it’s morally wrong to sleep with his own niece.
    If they were any other family other than Targaryen, that might have dawned on me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    If they were any other family other than Targaryen, that might have dawned on me.
    Agree they are both Targaryens, incest is not off limits.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think that scene wasn't very well edited and/or they didn't get all the footage they needed to put it all together adequately. To be fair though, I haven't seen the second episode, so I think I missed the introduction of Daemon's impotency problems. Seems like George R.R. Martin always has a character who has a problem with his willy. Daemon with his impotence, and Reek with his ceasing to have a willy.

I think it was a pretty impressive episode. I had assumed from Daemon's previous problem in the brothel that he just couldn't finish but in this episode it appears that he couldn't even rise to the occasion. Really impressive soundtrack for the trek from the Red Keep into the streets and through the brothel.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Okay, so that was a lot to take in. Several points here:

- Where did Daemon disappear to once the melee started?

- Alicent wore green (the colour of war) and walked past a rather large group of people also wearing green, who she made a point to look at.

- The new hand of the King seemed to give a knowing nod to one of the Kingsguard during the brouhaha, but my wife thinks I am reading too much into that.

- The music that played when Alicent showed up and walked down the aisle was - I think - a variation on 'The Light Of The Seven', the long piece of music that played during the scene in GoT when Cersei blew up the sept.

- I believe that's the last we see of young Rhaenyra and Alicent. Too bad, I really like those actresses. Hoping I'm just as impressed with the older ones.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Fantastic episode.

I agree with your question of Daemon, I thought the same thing. As for the hand's nod...the only nod I saw was too his son to get the princess out of the melee. But I definitely need to watch the wedding part of this episode again.

And yes...this is the end of the 'young' actresses. Not sure why they had to change them (and only them [at least of the non actual child actors]), but agreed. Milly Alcock is amazing, and Emily really had a great final punch in this episode.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Okay, so that was a lot to take in. Several points here:

- Alicent wore green (the colour of war) and walked past a rather large group of people also wearing green, who she made a point to look at.
    I misinterpreted that whole thing. I assumed that was her (and her father's) family all dressed in green. I'm glad that they gave the exposition about green being the color of war

- I believe that's the last we see of young Rhaenyra and Alicent. Too bad, I really like those actresses. Hoping I'm just as impressed with the older ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    And yes...this is the end of the 'young' actresses. Not sure why they had to change them (and only them [at least of the non actual child actors]), but agreed. Milly Alcock is amazing, and Emily really had a great final punch in this episode.
    I will definitely miss them. Both actresses did a fantastic job. Both were very good at communicating with just a nod, or a facial expression.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Last nights episode picked up my interest a bit, but for me that's not saying much. Overall I'm finding this series and much of it's dialogue and characters incredibly dull. Hoping it picks up because I'm losing patience. Though it was nice to finally see a face get bashed in
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I think I'm liking this better than the last couple seasons of GOT...
    The Prog Corner

- Where did Daemon disappear to once the melee started?
    I think that was the show runners just making us think the hullabaloo was started by Deamon. In other words, they were fucking with us.

Alicent and her father Otto are originally from Oldtown and I believe those people are from Oldtown, too, which is why so many of them were in green and why she looked at them. I think she was just acknowledging them. Of course, they're probably scheming something since Alicent's son is the rightful heir to the throne - from her perspective.

- The new hand of the King seemed to give a knowing nod to one of the Kingsguard during the brouhaha, but my wife thinks I am reading too much into that.
    I agree with your wife. He nodded to that guy to get him to go rescue Rhaenyra.

I knew there were two actresses playing each of those parts but I assumed they would appear at the end of this season or sometime in the next. So that's a bummer.

Here are the new Alicent (Olivia Cooke on the left) and Rhaenyra (Emma D'Arcy):

Olivia-Cooke-Emma-DArcy-Rhaenyra-Alicent-House-of-the-Dragon-609210b.jpg

I've only seen Olivia Cooke in Ready Player One and Emma D'Arcy in Truth Seekers with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. D'Arcy was also in the second season of Hanna, which I haven't seen, yet. Both were very good and likable.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Olivia Cooke is cool. She was in Bates Motel as well.

Talk about coincidences, Olive Cooke was on Jimmy Kimmel last night. She said that with the first episode she's in, the story has jumped ahead ten years.

I can't believe the King has lasted that long. There were three different times where I thought he died, already.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Why was the queen not at that quickie wedding at the end and instead catching Cristan about to commit suicide in the Godswood?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Why was the queen not at that quickie wedding at the end and instead catching Cristan about to commit suicide in the Godswood?
    I thought she split early because she felt the whole thing was bullshit.

I liked how she referred to the Princess as Stepdaughter at the head table. Zap!

I'm guessing Alicent is going to use Ser Cristan to help her in a potential conflict with Rhaenyra.

I'm guessing Alicent is going to use Ser Cristan to help her in a potential conflict with Rhaenyra.
    I kind of agree - I think she's going to work something out with him, and then offer him up to Rhaenyra in exchange for her renouncing her claim to the throne, which could then fall to Alicent's son Aegon.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Yeah. Alicent has definitely hatched a plan...she was like a whole different woman after Cole's confession.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

- The music that played when Alicent showed up and walked down the aisle was - I think - a variation on 'The Light Of The Seven', the long piece of music that played during the scene in GoT when Cersei blew up the sept.
    And you'd be correct. Aside from the opening credits, Djawadi has not recycled many of his motifs from the original GOT. I like that he did in this instance and hope he does a few more in key moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I can't believe the King has lasted that long. There were three different times where I thought he died, already.
    The dude is Rasputin incarnate or precarnate I guess.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    *spoilers ahead*
    And he is going to last even longer..it seems that the next episodes will be set 10 years in the future and will now feature both older versions of Alicent and Rhaenyra. And still a very alive but much older King. Alicent will have 4 children and Rhaenyra will have her own child introducing those new characters.

Good episode last night, especially the scenes with Larys Strong (the 'Clubfoot'). That last scene was brilliant! I could have done without the realistic birthing sound effects at the beginning though. And although the new Rhaenyra is a good actor, I don't see why they had to change her. She only aged 10 years, they couldn't have done that with makeup? People keep talking about what fantastic casting it was, but to me she doesn't look anything like the younger one. I find it a tad distracting, though I'm sure I'll get used to it. Alicent, on the other hand, is almost a dead ringer for the younger one (so again, why was the change necessary?). Everyone else gets to continue playing their characters (apart from Aegon, obviously, who was a toddler and is now a young man - played by David Tennant's son BTW) so it's a shame to me that Millie Alcock is gone.

I love the way the story is shaping up. It's going to go by too quickly now from here on out, I think!

I share the same opinion on the new actresses. I think part of it is that Milly Alcock just did such a great job, I was sad to see her go. But the new actress playing Alicent doesn't look much older than the previous actress, IMO.

Oh, and the kid playing Aegon looks like he's the guitarist in a heavy metal mockumentary.