Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: House Of The Dragon discussion thread

Speaking of killing the hart, was that whole thing supposed to be some sort of commentary on the "duties" of being king?
    <sig out of order>

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah seemed like it, he didn't seem very enthusiastic, a Baratheon would have done it with gusto.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Speaking of killing the hart, was that whole thing supposed to be some sort of commentary on the "duties" of being king?
    I think it was to show the juxtaposition with Rhaenyra killing the boar.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Banned
    Good point about the lack of humor compared to GOT, maybe they'll work on it. I thought this was the best episode yet, but the casting and characters (so far) still leave me a bit underwhelmed. Maybe because in the back of my mind I'm comparing that with GOT again, which had a superb, deep cast of unforgettable characters. Well I'm definitely biased!
    Last edited by Quantum Cat; 09-06-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Still struggling with the casting and characters for the most part. Nobody is roping me in...just not doin it for me. And that showdown with crab guy was pretty unspectacular.
    I've seen this from a few people, and I don't get it. I think the casting is great and the characters are pretty engaging. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    One of my takeaways was that it was just to show the propaganda of royalty - the King didn't really do anything. Didn't really earn the kill - he just stabbed it once it was already captured and subdued.

And it also showed how impotent the King is (or that he's just a pacifist?). Meanwhile, Rhaenyra killed the boar with gusto when her life was in danger, but let the actual prize, the white hart, run away. So, she's not violent for the sake of violence.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've seen this from a few people, and I don't get it. I think the casting is great and the characters are pretty engaging. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

One of my takeaways was that it was just to show the propaganda of royalty - the King didn't really do anything. Didn't really earn the kill - he just stabbed it once it was already captured and subdued.

And it also showed how impotent the King is (or that he's just a pacifist?). Meanwhile, Rhaenyra killed the boar with gusto when her life was in danger, but let the actual prize, the white hart, run away. So, she's not violent for the sake of violence.
    I agree, I think the casting is wonderful. The difference between this and GoT so far is the much narrower scope in story. It's mainly about the Targaryens, so we don't have storylines in the lands of the Starks, Baratheons, Lannisters, Arryns, Greyjoys, Martells, etc. So due to that there is a smaller cast than Game of Thrones, at least so far.

I also thought there was some symbolism in the King expecting to kill the rare white hart, and then his minions not even finding it for his ceremonial kill. And then Rhaenyra seeing it, and letting it go free.

I think there was more to his hesitancy to strike the killing blow to the hart. When it wasn't white, he had to reassess what was going in his ears about how he had to name his son the new heir. Striking the final blow was his commitment to his daughter/moment of clarity. The "sign from the gods" didn't come through/work out. Definitely not for his "advisors".

He later tells her he had his doubts about naming her heir, but not anymore.

The fact there really was a white one makes it more cool and intriguing.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I think we grew into the characters on GOT over many seasons, most of the GOT characters were pretty one dimensional in season one. I think HOD are being misrepresented by making the comparison, give them time.

Season 1 GOT
    Daenerys - weak little girl being manipulated by her brother and sold into marriage for political advantage
    Jaime - black hat bad guy stupping his sister
    The Hound - brutal henchman
    Sansa - whinging little spoilt girl
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^^ Indeed, there were long, slow-building character arcs throughout GOT (for those who managed to survive long enough!) and I expect many of these characters will also develop over time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Good point - I hadn't thought of it that way. Somehow it also fit with Viserys feeling trapped within his duties/tradition, but that's still the perfect contrast to Rhaenyra's approach.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I think there was more to his hesitancy to strike the killing blow to the hart. When it wasn't white, he had to reassess what was going in his ears about how he had to name his son the new heir. Striking the final blow was his commitment to his daughter/moment of clarity. The "sign from the gods" didn't come through/work out. Definitely not for his "advisors".

He later tells her he had his doubts about naming her heir, but not anymore.

The fact there really was a white one makes it more cool and intriguing.
    Totally agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just got caught up with the last two episodes tonight after getting home from ProgDay. I am loving this show so far. A bit surprised to see the negative comments about the casting as I think all of the main characters are pretty much great.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Still struggling with the casting and characters for the most part. Nobody is roping me in...just not doin it for me. And that showdown with crab guy was pretty unspectacular.
    I'm all in on the series so far, but one of the best characters was missing in this episode, the Queen Who Never Was. But I am fully warmed up to (please excuse my characterizations in lieu of actual names) the blond girl that kicks ass, her protector guy, the hand guy, the dreadlock guys wife (QWNW mentioned above) and the crab guy, until, well we know what happens to him.

Beyond connecting with a few characters, the tension in the story and lead up to the chaos that will ensure will the king guy dies, is palpable. In fact, I kinda thought he was going to kick it during this episode. There were so many chances, drinks himself to death at party, wayward stag horn gores him (could've happened twice!), and each time he mounts and dismounts, his horse you pervs, all seem like is this it moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    This episode had a couple chuckle moments for me. The guy getting squished by Daemon's dragon, the minstrel being bossed around, and I thought the king's attempt to kill the deer was pretty funny.
    The squished guy sequence was pretty funny, but no wit was involved. The attempt to kill the deer was a poignant reminder of the kings frailty, yet refusal to not perform his duty. The entire hunt sequence was deep on many levels, including clearly demonstrating the status of royalty and how much effort goes into both maintaining that status and at the exact same time ensuring the perception is royalty as an everyman.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    But I am fully warmed up to (please excuse my characterizations in lieu of actual names)...
    the blond girl that kicks ass: Rhaenyra
    her protector guy: Ser Criston Cole
    the hand guy: Otto Hightower
    the dreadlock guys wife (QWNW mentioned above): Rhaenys

Yes, there will be a quiz soon.

I agree, the hunting scene was multilayered and many people have made good points about it. His killing the stag was purely ceremonial; he didn't really do much of anything and didn't even do that very well.

Rhaenyra butchering the boar, otoh, showed me she may have something in common with "The Mad King", while also showing she has a strength her father appears to lack. She reminds me so much of Daenerys.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

each time he mounts and dismounts, his horse you pervs
    Hey, this is Game of Thrones, after all.

She reminds me so much of Daenerys.
    Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    She reminds me so much of Daenerys.
    Definitely.
    And that is exactly why I am all in on this show, as well as trying to be patient with this show and her story arc, because I can't wait to see her become queen and grow into that role.

And that is exactly why I am all in on this show, as well as trying to be patient with this show and her story arc, because I can't wait to see her become queen and grow into that role.
    Definitely.
    <sig out of order>

I thought her reaction to the boar was a classic fight or flight reaction. Her father would have hit the "flight" button. She hit "fight".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I thought her reaction to the boar was a classic fight or flight reaction. Her father would have hit the "flight" button. She hit "fight".
    And then some

More on 1883. I finished ep. 8 of 10 last night and felt, for the first time, that the writing could be tightened up and some repeated story elements were not needed. I'm still on board and excited to see how the story plays out. One other small thing that bothers me is Faith Hill's acting. Thankfully her screen time comes in spurts and the annoyance is tolerable, barely.

Wrong thread, Eric. I'm beginning to think that maybe you should stop smoking so much weed too.

Wrong thread, Eric. I'm beginning to think that maybe you should stop smoking so much weed too.
    We just legalized psylocibin here in SF.

We just legalized psylocibin here in SF.
    Sorry, decriminalized. Possession is fine.

Oh Rhaenyra, you saucy little minx, you!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***