Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: House Of The Dragon discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Because (a) Aemond hadn't gotten one of his own, yet - remember how the other kids teased him about it? - and (b) from my understanding dragons won't let just anyone ride them; a dragon and its rider are bonded at very young ages. The fact that Vhagar let Aemond ride her I thought was significant.
    Right. Agree with all of that. I just thought the "adults" would have made a bigger issue of it, since that's what started the whole kerfluffle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I think Aemond and Daemon are going to be locked into a sword fight for all the ages at some point. They admire each other's ruthlessness but they're on opposite sides and sooner or later, it is going to be a question of who wields Valerian steel better.
    We were saying the same thing. Definitely seemed like they were setting up a rivalry.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Stealing a dragon is also probably a very Targaryen thing to do.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Head chop, awesome but telegraphed.

Old King Viserys being carried into court and laying down the lay, priceless

Family dinner awkward and uncomfortable, but an absolute treasure to watch.

Alicents' kids, creepy!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Some brief thoughts on tonight's episode:

- Oh, auntie Rhae, one 'Dracarys' is all you needed!

- How darkly twisted to carry on the meeting while Lord Beesbury lay dead and bleeding on the table.

- Was Alicent aware of Larys jerking off to her bare feet? Like, is that the deal between them, that he will provide info if she bares her feet? Again, twisted (though less so than the previous).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

We wound up watching the latest episode last night, as the Eagles were playing on Sunday Night Football (and won, for those who care. And even those who don't)

The reward for that is that you get the little vignette after the episode where the showrunners/writers/directors talk about the episode, and you can sometimes glean some detail you may have missed. For example:

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

One of the folks interviewed described this as Rhaenys could have easily BBQ'd the dais, and would have brought peace to the realm, but chose larger scale violence instead. They wanted to give her more power in that moment. I didn't really read it that way when I watched, but it makes sense.

- How darkly twisted to carry on the meeting while Lord Beesbury lay dead and bleeding on the table.
    LOL - absolutely! That definitely had a "aaaanywaaay..." kinda vibe to it.

- Was Alicent aware of Larys jerking off to her bare feet? Like, is that the deal between them, that he will provide info if she bares her feet? Again, twisted (though less so than the previous).
    I think she was definitely aware, as they made a bit of a production of her removing her socks/stockings. We definitely had the feeling that this wasn't the first time they shared this kind of moment. Thankfully, they were quite discreet about it, as it was kinda gross. LOL
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Curious what people thought of the interpretation of the King’s last words? Was he just making a delirious nonsense statement? Did he really mean that he thought the kid should be the king? Was he really talking about his daughter. I think it could be interpreted different ways, but wondered what other viewers thought?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Curious what people thought of the interpretation of the King’s last words? Was he just making a delirious nonsense statement? Did he really mean that he thought the kid should be the king? Was he really talking about his daughter. I think it could be interpreted different ways, but wondered what other viewers thought?
    Definitely a delirious nonsense statement. He had no idea he was talking to Alicent, and in no way wanted his son to be King.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Definitely a delirious nonsense statement. He had no idea he was talking to Alicent, and in no way wanted his son to be King.
    Not that it really mattered anyway as Otto and the small council were plotting to place their man on the throne anyway.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    What strikes me is the old adage of "life imitating art" in this case: the most qualified, principled people are rarely the ones that obtain political power and behind the scenes machinations result in promoting rascals and villains. But what principles did Auntie Rhae demonstrate with that violent act and was it justified considering the collateral damage? Well standards in ancient Westros are something else...

That was a great scene. I was kind of hoping she'd roast them. Then again, what she did was even better because she was, in essence, telling them not to fuck with her, which will make for lots of future political shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I watched this week's episode taking Alicent at face value but thought something seemed off. Last night, I re-watched the visit from Rhaenyra, as well as the end of last week's episode before re-watching this week's – because I missed the first few minutes and some other things.

As I suspected, she fucking lied. Alicent, that is. He absolutely did not mean that his son should be king. He thought he was still talking to Rhaenyra! When she visited him before the big dinner, the first thing she did was to question him if he thought the Song of Ice and Fire was true. He also referred to her later as his only child. So at the end of the episode, when Alicent visited him, he believed he was still having the conversation with Rhaenyra. And in his death dream/vision – essentially, the same dream Aegon the First had – he saw that Rhaenyra is the "prince" who will unite the realm.

Alicent is obviously confused. She even says she doesn't understand. But, even at that, I don't think she interpreted what he said as suddenly making their son Aegon the heir. How could she? I think she wanted to interpret it that way because she believes her son is the rightful heir. Now, whether she lied on purpose or not is up to the writers to tell us.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Alicent is obviously confused. She even says she doesn't understand. But, even at that, I don't think she interpreted what he said as suddenly making their son Aegon the heir. How could she? I think she wanted to interpret it that way because she believes her son is the rightful heir. Now, whether she lied on purpose or not is up to the writers to tell us.
    The thing about her is that she always seems confused. Or looks confused, anyway. She rarely cracks a sly smile or knowing grin or devious face. So it's tough to know whether she believes what she heard was Viserys' true wishes.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not that it really mattered anyway as Otto and the small council were plotting to place their man on the throne anyway.
    Right. Good point.

That was a great scene. I was kind of hoping she'd roast them. Then again, what she did was even better because she was, in essence, telling them not to fuck with her, which will make for lots of future political shenanigans.
    I wanted them roasted. But then that would have pretty much ended the series.

As I suspected, she fucking lied. Alicent, that is. He absolutely did not mean that his son should be king. He thought he was still talking to Rhaenyra! When she visited him before the big dinner, the first thing she did was to question him if he thought the Song of Ice and Fire was true. He also referred to her later as his only child. So at the end of the episode, when Alicent visited him, he believed he was still having the conversation with Rhaenyra. And in his death dream/vision – essentially, the same dream Aegon the First had – he saw that Rhaenyra is the "prince" who will unite the realm.

I don't think she lied. I agree that she heard what she wanted to hear, but only Rhaenyra knows the full Aegon the Conqueror/Song of Ice & Fire story, so Alicent doesn't have that context.

Viserys: “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. But you wanted to know if I believe it to be true.”
    Alicent: “Believe what to be true, my king?”
    V: “Don’t you remember? Aegon.”
    A: “Our son?”
    V: “His dream. The Song of Ice and Fire. It is true. What he saw in the North. The Prince that was Promised.”
    A: “I don’t understand, Viserys.”
    V: “The Prince.”
    A: “Prince Aegon?”

V: “To unite the realm against the cold and the dark. It is you. You are the one. You must do this.”

Viserys thought he was talking with Rhaenyra, not Alicent. And he thought it was a continuation of their previous discussion about the Song of Ice and Fire Prophecy which is passed down from ruler to ruler, and the Prince That Was Promised.

I take that to be the future Aegon Targaryen that he was referring to. The one also known as Jon Snow, who led the fight against the Night King and the White Walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Viserys: “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. But you wanted to know if I believe it to be true.”
    Alicent: “Believe what to be true, my king?”
    V: “Don’t you remember? Aegon.”
    A: “Our son?”
    V: “His dream. The Song of Ice and Fire. It is true. What he saw in the North. The Prince that was Promised.”
    A: “I don’t understand, Viserys.”
    V: “The Prince.”
    A: “Prince Aegon?”

V: “To unite the realm against the cold and the dark. It is you. You are the one. You must do this.”

Viserys thought he was talking with Rhaenyra, not Alicent. And he thought it was a continuation of their previous discussion about the Song of Ice and Fire Prophecy which is passed down from ruler to ruler, and the Prince That Was Promised.

I take that to be the future Aegon Targaryen that he was referring to. The one also known as Jon Snow, who led the fight against the Night King and the White Walkers.
    I think he's referring the a prophecy from Aegon the Conqueror the original Tragaryen king.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think he's referring the a prophecy from Aegon the Conqueror the original Tragaryen king.
    I agree it's the prophecy from Aegon the Conqueror, but "The Prince Who was Promised" was Azor Ahai. Who I believe was Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryen in GoT.

So it was Aegon the Conqueror's dream about Azor Ahai, the future Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryen.

I think.

Viserys thought he was talking with Rhaenyra, not Alicent.
    Right. That's how I saw it, too.

And he thought it was a continuation of their previous discussion about the Song of Ice and Fire Prophecy which is passed down from ruler to ruler, and the Prince That Was Promised. I take that to be the future Aegon Targaryen that he was referring to.
    A valid supposition but in the end I don't agree because he says in reference to the prince who unites the realm, "it is you. You are the one."

He thinks he's talking to Rhaenyra and believes she's the one who will unite the realm. Now why there's a discrepancy between the uniter in the dream being a prince and Rhaenyra being a princess I can't explain, other than to suggest that the person in the dream is assumed to be a prince since males are always inheritors of the throne.

I think, ultimately, the writers are toying with us.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

So it was Aegon the Conqueror's dream about Azor Ahai, the future Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryen.

I think.
    Here's another supposition: ancient prophecies suggest that the struggle between the two deities – R'hllor and the "Great Other" – will come to a head when Azor Ahai leads the defense against the "Others", who live north of Westeros. And it's Azor Ahai, aka Jon Snow, who is the one who wields the sword "Lightbringer". Which, as it turns out, is the only weapon that can kill Dracula in the 2013 movie Dracula: The Dark Prince. So maybe there's some sort of tie-in and the show-runners are going to introduce vampires into House of the Dragon, with Jon Voight handing off Lightbringer to Rhaenyra who then passes it down through the family to Jon Snow, who is her 6x great-grandson, as shown in the Targaryen family tree. Jon Voight. Jon Snow. Furthermore, "Voight" is a variation of the more common German name "Vogt" which translates in English as "reeve", a term in the RAF for wing commander. And, as we know, Jon Snow was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. You think these are all coincidences?????

Here's another supposition: ancient prophecies suggest that the struggle between the two deities – R'hllor and the "Great Other" – will come to a head when Azor Ahai leads the defense against the "Others", who live north of Westeros. And it's Azor Ahai, aka Jon Snow, who is the one who wields the sword "Lightbringer". Which, as it turns out, is the only weapon that can kill Dracula in the 2013 movie Dracula: The Dark Prince. So maybe there's some sort of tie-in and the show-runners are going to introduce vampires into House of the Dragon, with Jon Voight handing off Lightbringer to Rhaenyra who then passes it down through the family to Jon Snow, who is her 6x great-grandson, as shown in the Targaryen family tree. Jon Voight. Jon Snow. Furthermore, "Voight" is a variation of the more common German name "Vogt" which translates in English as "reeve", a term in the RAF for wing commander. And, as we know, Jon Snow was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. You think these are all coincidences?????

You've clearly put more (and better) thought into this than I have. I'm going with your theory!!

Vhagar did a 'monch' in mid-air. That was a big whoopsie on Aemond's part, and war has now begun!

Long wait for season 2...

Yep, both sides were exercising restraint but the Black Queen will now have vengeance
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Vhagar did a 'monch' in mid-air. That was a big whoopsie on Aemond's part, and war has now begun!

Long wait for season 2...
    I'm never sure that I fully get what's going on - I got the impression that both dragons did that stuff on their own, and that Aemond did not intend for that to happen? He just wanted to scare him?

Yeah, I got the impression that Aemond's dragon did that on its own. Nonetheless, if the one-eyed asshole hadn't gone up there, Luke would have made it home. And now, the war has begun. Plus Daemon has a new monster dragon.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    if the one-eyed asshole hadn't gone up there, Luke would have made it home. And now, the war has begun.
    This was my point. Aemond struggled for control and was unable to prevent Vhagar from following his own animal instincts.

Arrax started it. </kid's whiny voice>

--------------------

The scene with the still birth was pleasant, wasn't it?

--------------------

Poll time.

Do you think Daemon was successful in bringing the wild dragons into the fold?

I think so. Because he's still alive. lol

When the season ending episode was over I thought, how hard it was for Rhaenyra to suffer the loss of two children (miscarried baby and Luke) and besides that she got kicked out of her own Iron throne by the usurper Greens and that punk Otto Hightower.

By observing the writing style of George RR Martin, he will eventually kill off the one-eyed asshole Aemond and the "puppet king" Aegon in the coming seasons like he did with Ramsay Bolton and King Joffrey who were just as arrogant and hateful characters.

If Rings of Power won't return until 2024 as reported, House of the Dragon 2 will take about the same time. They are both very expensive and large productions even for TV. For me, up next will be the final season of His Dark Materials in December.