Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718
Results 426 to 445 of 445

Thread: Blue Oyster Cult !

  1. #426
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    First single from Albert's new one:

    Nice. I like this version better than the original. And Albert's vocals are pretty decent here.
    It seems that Buck, Eric Bloom and Richie Castellano guest on the album.

  2. #427
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,621
    I dig it!

  3. #428
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Nice. I like this version better than the original. And Albert's vocals are pretty decent here.
    It seems that Buck, Eric Bloom and Richie Castellano guest on the album.
    It is nice to see that fences have been mended over the years and these guys are willing to work with each other again.

  4. #429
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,621
    Buck shows you how to play "Cities on Flame"!


  5. #430
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    33
    When I was doing an MFA in Alaska in my twenties I would come home from the bar and pass out to a playlist of Red Rider, Kate Bush and the first five BOC albums... my roommates hated it but it would give me some very interesting dreams. Can't think of much that's as woven into my soul as BOC.

    I think the trick to liking Imaginos is to come into it expecting to hate it. I had several people tell me it was unlistenable and it's... more like the world's weirdest Judas Priest album and if you approach it on those terms it's quite likeable. Great for road trips.

  6. #431
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I think the trick to liking Imaginos is to come into it expecting to hate it. I had several people tell me it was unlistenable
    They're cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

  7. #432
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    When I was doing an MFA in Alaska in my twenties I would come home from the bar and pass out to a playlist of Red Rider, Kate Bush and the first five BOC albums... my roommates hated it but it would give me some very interesting dreams. Can't think of much that's as woven into my soul as BOC.

    I think the trick to liking Imaginos is to come into it expecting to hate it. I had several people tell me it was unlistenable and it's... more like the world's weirdest Judas Priest album and if you approach it on those terms it's quite likeable. Great for road trips.
    As I have probably said many times here before, it is not that "Imaginos" is a band album, it is just that it could have been so much better. I like it for what it is.

    What do you think of the Albert Bouchard re-boot of the album?

  8. #433
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,789
    I don't know what on earth could be so unlistenable about Imaginos. It doesn't really sound like any other BOC album, but then I think you can say that about a few BOC albums. And like those albums it still has some tunes that have that moody/creepy/macabre/mysterious vibe that threads its way through many a BOC tune.
    <sig out of order>

  9. #434
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,979
    I hadn't listened to Imaginos until about a month ago, and I've come to like it. I happened to listen to the re-boot this morning, and I prefer the original.
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

  10. #435
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    1,950
    They are playing in my area so I'm thinking of maybe going to see them. Not sure yet. It would be my first time seeing them if I do go.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

  11. #436
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    33
    Haven't heard it actually. I read some reviews and they seemed uniformly lukewarm. Is it good? I'll have to check it out.

  12. #437
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    33
    I had a chance to see them, then watched a bit of recent live footage and was dissuaded. The sense of menace & mystery doesn't come across at all live; it seemed much too smiley rock 'n' roll show. They always had that side I guess but it seemed like maybe the time to see them is past.

  13. #438
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Haven't heard it actually. I read some reviews and they seemed uniformly lukewarm. Is it good? I'll have to check it out.
    Personally I really like Imaginos and I think it's a pretty strong album. <shrug>
    <sig out of order>

  14. #439
    Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I had a chance to see them, then watched a bit of recent live footage and was dissuaded. The sense of menace & mystery doesn't come across at all live; it seemed much too smiley rock 'n' roll show. They always had that side I guess but it seemed like maybe the time to see them is past.
    Did the sense of menace & mystery ever come across in their shows? I saw them twice (41 years apart) and never saw more than a bunch of really good rockers with smart lyrics.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  15. #440
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I had a chance to see them, then watched a bit of recent live footage and was dissuaded. The sense of menace & mystery doesn't come across at all live; it seemed much too smiley rock 'n' roll show. They always had that side I guess but it seemed like maybe the time to see them is past.
    I have seen B.O.C. more than 20 times over the years and get what you mean. The bottom line is, the guys are just getting old. B.O.C. no longer tour with their own production, so they use individual venue lighting, P.A. etc. so there is no longer any "show" to go along with their music. Considering they were at one time pioneers in the use of lasers, lighting, and general special effects, today’s shows are certainly a different experience. When Eric was young I would agree that he had a menacing stage presence and you just had the feeling that this dude was a bad ass. Let’s face it, today Eric looks like the 76-year-old man that he is. His voice is still ok, but it has lost much of it’s power.

    All that being said, I still love B.O.C. and see them anytime they are in my area. Buck is one of the most underrated guitarists in rock n roll and has just gotten better over the years. Richie Castellano is an exceptionally talented musician and has become the band’s secret weapon over the last few decades. They still put on a good show and I would recommend going to see them, even though they are not the young bucks they at one time were.

    Other bands from their era that play similar venues like Styx, Kansas, REO, tour with their own productions and I am of the opinion the B.O.C. could benefit from doing the same, but they choose not to for whatever reason (probably money).

    Just my opinion of course…….

  16. #441
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    All that being said, I still love B.O.C. and see them anytime they are in my area. Buck is one of the most underrated guitarists in rock n roll and has just gotten better over the years. Richie Castellano is an exceptionally talented musician and has become the band’s secret weapon over the last few decades. They still put on a good show and I would recommend going to see them, even though they are not the young bucks they at one time were.
    This.

  17. #442
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,195
    The only time I saw BOC was at the beginning of their Agents of Fortune tour. There was a sense of menace from Bloom and company. I remember Buck stepping into the spotlight for his solos, all in white. Trouble was, we were there for the warmup act, a little trio from across the border. It seemed to us that BOC was a little more static onstage than the Canucks and not nearly as heavy. In retrospect, I wish I could have seen BOC again but they never came back our way. I did go on to see the Canadian act many many more times.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  18. #443
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,195
    I prefer the bastardized BOC Imaginos as opposed to Albert's vision. Better production and vocals. I just reordered the tracks the way they're supposed to be and begin the playlist with the Stephen King intro.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  19. #444
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,923
    Another new track from "Imaginos II Bombs Over Germany" from Albert:


  20. #445
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have seen B.O.C. more than 20 times over the years and get what you mean. The bottom line is, the guys are just getting old. B.O.C. no longer tour with their own production, so they use individual venue lighting, P.A. etc. so there is no longer any "show" to go along with their music. Considering they were at one time pioneers in the use of lasers, lighting, and general special effects, today’s shows are certainly a different experience. When Eric was young I would agree that he had a menacing stage presence and you just had the feeling that this dude was a bad ass. Let’s face it, today Eric looks like the 76-year-old man that he is. His voice is still ok, but it has lost much of it’s power.

    All that being said, I still love B.O.C. and see them anytime they are in my area. Buck is one of the most underrated guitarists in rock n roll and has just gotten better over the years. Richie Castellano is an exceptionally talented musician and has become the band’s secret weapon over the last few decades. They still put on a good show and I would recommend going to see them, even though they are not the young bucks they at one time were.

    Other bands from their era that play similar venues like Styx, Kansas, REO, tour with their own productions and I am of the opinion the B.O.C. could benefit from doing the same, but they choose not to for whatever reason (probably money).

    Just my opinion of course…….
    I've seen BOC numerous times since the first time, in 74. They're always wonderful. We're lucky Buck and Eric are still doing it. Eric's voice is clearly not
    the same, but unsurprising. Buck hasn't lost a thing. I would say he's not underrated. Most everyone knows how amazing he is. The new album is great, save
    for Stand and Fight, IMO. I never enjoyed the original Imaginos album. Long live BOC!!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •