Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Oyster Cult !

Blue Öyster Cult's appearance at the O2 Indigo for the Stone Free Festival on June 17th will start with a unique performance of their debut album in its entirety in celebration of the 45th anniversary of the initial release. The full set is being recorded and videotaped in 4K UHD for possible future release. They are also doing select tour dates as part of their 45th Anniversary Tour, but they will be performing the album in full at the London show only.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    There's a free gig at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in mid-July. Not an ideal venue, but it is a free gig!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Blue Öyster Cult's appearance at the O2 Indigo for the Stone Free Festival on June 17th will start with a unique performance of their debut album in its entirety in celebration of the 45th anniversary of the initial release. The full set is being recorded and videotaped in 4K UHD for possible future release. They are also doing select tour dates as part of their 45th Anniversary Tour, but they will be performing the album in full at the London show only.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I have tickets to see them in my hometown in October. It would be cool if they did a full album, but I am not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    There's a free gig at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in mid-July. Not an ideal venue, but it is a free gig!
    If they don't play Slim's in SF, I will probably go to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I must never have paid much attention while Don't Fear the Reaper was playing, because I heard it in the car today and liked that instrumental section in the middle. I knew it, but didn't even realize it was from that song.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I must never have paid much attention while Don't Fear the Reaper was playing, because I heard it in the car today and liked that instrumental section in the middle. I knew it, but didn't even realize it was from that song.
    Many stations play a shortened version that has that guitar part removed.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Many stations play a shortened version that has that guitar part removed.
    I hate edited versions, and when they're included on albums as some kind of bonus!

Saw the Black and Blue Tour with BOC and Sabbath in 1980. Buck Dharma drove out onto the stage on a Harley. Bedlam ensued.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Saw the Black and Blue Tour with BOC and Sabbath in 1980. Buck Dharma drove out onto the stage on a Harley. Bedlam ensued.
    I saw Eric do that a few years later and read in the BOC Story he was the guy who drove the bike on the stage during the tour you saw. You saw Buck do this?

Always saw Eric riding the Hog. I have a video of the Black and Blue tour in storage. I should break that out and see.
    Wish I sould see the O2 show. Maybe they'll record it for sale. Not sure they're making it my way this year.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I saw Eric do that a few years later and read in the BOC Story he was the guy who drove the bike on the stage during the tour you saw. You saw Buck do this?
    In my defense, it was 37 years ago, and...well...let's just say I wasn't sober. It could have been Eric.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I also saw Eric do it. I think it was the "Extraterrestrial Live" tour which would have been 82 if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    In my defense, it was 37 years ago, and...well...let's just say I wasn't sober. It could have been Eric.
    Not a criticism, just curious, as I never heard of Buck riding the bike onstage.
    This was a NYE show I referenced and Eric shaved off his beard onstage. Cow Palace, San Francisco.

Not a criticism, just curious, as I never heard of Buck riding the bike onstage.
    This was a NYE show I referenced and Eric shaved off his beard onstage. Cow Palace, San Francisco.
    I head that David Byrne did that too, before he was famous

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    A friend of mine saw BOC play Sturgis. Apparently, a large part of the audience stayed on their bikes and gunned the engines for applause.

I don't ride, and biker culture isn't my thing, but that is pretty cool.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    A friend of mine saw BOC play Sturgis. Apparently, a large part of the audience stayed on their bikes and gunned the engines for applause.

I don't ride, and biker culture isn't my thing, but that is pretty cool.
    Especially, if you're into carbon monoxide.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I saw Buck Dharma playing with a bar band in Key Largo a couple years ago. Great, rock guitarist.

Yeah, I know I resurrected an old thread but it would have been stupid to start a new one. This one was actually a good reread as there's loads of info in it.

I still enjoy the Imaginos version of Astronomy more than the original. I've been watching live vids of the early days - complete with the laser - not plural, just one - that got them in trouble. I still listen to the remake and really like Buck's vocals in the song and the driving beat really gives the song something the original didn't have.

Don't get me wrong here, the original is great but damned if I just can't seem to like it as much and I really have tried. Oh well, some things I just cannot change.

I'll go out on a limb and say 1 of 5, if that, likes the Imaginos version. I'm curious what you guys say.

ETA: Forgot to add this live version of the remake. At least it has Bloom and Buck on this as who knows what really was played on this album and by whom.

Last edited by TheLoony; 09-11-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I like all the versions I've heard to some degree or another. It's a good tune. My favorite is the one from Some Enchanted Evening:

<sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I like all the versions I've heard to some degree or another. It's a good tune. My favorite is the one from Some Enchanted Evening:

Can't argue with that, although I'm not here to argue lol. That really sounds good and you can hear Buck killing it in the last half of the song.

For a guitar god to not act like one is one of the reasons I dig Buck. He just stands there wearing a suit and totally rips it.

Off topic a slight bit but the first time I saw BOC there was this "old" dude screaming for them to play Godzilla after every tune.

You know that dude, he always screams for Freebird!. After the third song Eric basically told him off saying "F Off" and the drunken dude left. It was a tiny place but acoustically great, meant for symphonic music and the likes but damn they did sound good and played a hell of a show. This was the Imaginos tour and my introduction to the band other than the three hits and I will say they really brought it that night.

IIRC they got a rousing ovation after Godzilla, probably because of the drunk guy. Funny how things work out in a live setting.

I'd love to hear a live show from that gig. I didn't know much about them at the time but I'd dig hearing how that show actually sounded and what tunes they played.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 09-12-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Can't argue with that, although I'm not here to argue lol. That really sounds good and you can hear Buck killing it in the last half of the song.

For a guitar god to not act like one is one of the reasons I dig Buck. He just stands there wearing a suit and totally rips it.

Off topic a slight bit but the first time I saw BOC there was this "old" dude screaming for them to play Godzilla after every tune.

You know that dude, he always screams for Freebird!. After the third song Eric basically told him off saying "F Off" and the drunken dude left. It was a tiny place but acoustically great, meant for symphonic music and the likes but damn they did sound good and played a hell of a show. This was the Imaginos tour and my introduction to the band other than the three hits and I will say they really brought it that night.

IIRC they got a rousing ovation after Godzilla, probably because of the drunk guy. Funny how things work out in a live setting.

I'd love to hear a live show from that gig. I didn't know much about them at the time but I'd dig hearing how that show actually sounded and what tunes they played.
    I'm probably biased as the SEE version was the first I heard when my friends and I were first starting to play guitar and Buck was a god to us.

Would have loved to see Imaginos live!

I only saw BOC for the first time about a year ago and it would have been great but was marred by an idiot behind me screaming at the top of his lungs after every song. The band was at a nice comfortable volume. I had forgotten my earplugs so I eventually went to the restroom and got pieces of paper towels to stuff in my ears. Painful.
    <sig out of order>

We're getting a new album this year or next year!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Yeah, I know I resurrected an old thread but it would have been stupid to start a new one. This one was actually a good reread as there's loads of info in it.

I still enjoy the Imaginos version of Astronomy more than the original. I've been watching live vids of the early days - complete with the laser - not plural, just one - that got them in trouble. I still listen to the remake and really like Buck's vocals in the song and the driving beat really gives the song something the original didn't have.

Don't get me wrong here, the original is great but damned if I just can't seem to like it as much and I really have tried. Oh well, some things I just cannot change.

I'll go out on a limb and say 1 of 5, if that, likes the Imaginos version. I'm curious what you guys say.

ETA: Forgot to add this live version of the remake. At least it has Bloom and Buck on this as who knows what really was played on this album and by whom.

E[/video]
    I liked the "Imaginos" version of both "Astronomy" and "Blue Oyster Cult (The Subhuman)" at least as good, if not better than the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    We're getting a new album this year or next year!
    They actually just a picture of them in the studio on Facebook yesterday.