Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Oyster Cult !

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I'm probably biased as the SEE version was the first I heard when my friends and I were first starting to play guitar and Buck was a god to us.

Would have loved to see Imaginos live!
    From Wiki:
    The set lists were based mainly on old material and included only two or three songs from Imaginos, usually "I Am the One You Warned Me Of", "In the Presence of Another World" and the new version of "Astronomy".
    Supported by the BOC site itself which has set lists from days of yore. Seems those songs didn't stick around for too long either. IOW, you didn't miss a lot.

I like they have the balls to do another album. They may not sell many copies but the fire to make new music is cool.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

Supported by the BOC site itself which has set lists from days of yore. Seems those songs didn't stick around for too long either. IOW, you didn't miss a lot.

Also in other words, it's time they finally performed the entirety of Imaginos live.

By coincidence (since Curse of the Hidden Mirror came up here) a few tunes from that popped up at random over the last couple weeks. Solid stuff which I found myself liking quite a bit. So whether that or Heaven Forbid is better is probably just a matter of personal preference. They're both quality albums.
    <sig out of order>

Jon Neudorf
    Also in other words, it's time they finally performed the entirety of Imaginos live.

By coincidence (since Curse of the Hidden Mirror came up here) a few tunes from that popped up at random over the last couple weeks. Solid stuff which I found myself liking quite a bit. So whether that or Heaven Forbid is better is probably just a matter of personal preference. They're both quality albums.
    Yep. Love them both.

Both of those are now OOP. I shoulda bought Heaven Forbid when I had the chance.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Both of those are now OOP. I shoulda bought Heaven Forbid when I had the chance.
    I bought Heaven Forbid when it first came out, but I never got around to getting Curse...

Recent set lists. Slight variations from night to night.

https://www.setlist.fm/search?query=blue+oyster+cult
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Recent set lists. Slight variations from night to night.

https://www.setlist.fm/search?query=blue+oyster+cult
    Nice. Not a huge variation from the show I saw in 2018, but nice to see they're changing a few things up.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blue-...-4b966b06.html
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What’s the best BOC album for a progger? If there is one. If not, just their best album.
    SECRET TREATIES
    The Prog Corner

I would have picked Imaginos, Cultasaurus Erectus, Mirrors, or Fire Of Unknown Origin for most "prog". But any proggy-ness is usually limited to a few songs.
    <sig out of order>

I have a friend who saw BOC Saturday night in Virginia. He used to be a member here, but don't think he is anymore. Anyway, he texted me and asked what was up with Eric Bloom? I did not know what he was talking about, but apparently Bloom did not sing any lead vocals at the show. He played guitar and keys (not sure if he sang backup or not), but it sounded like Richie handled all his lead vocals. The last time I saw BOC (which has been a bit more than a year ago), Eric was not even there. Buck said something about he "being under the weather" at the time. Just curious if anyone here knows if there is something seriously wrong with Eric? Maybe these two shows were just a fluke and he was sick and having vocal problems, but it all seems rather strange. Hope he is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have a friend who saw BOC Saturday night in Virginia. He used to be a member here, but don't think he is anymore. Anyway, he texted me and asked what was up with Eric Bloom? I did not know what he was talking about, but apparently Bloom did not sing any lead vocals at the show. He played guitar and keys (not sure if he sang backup or not), but it sounded like Richie handled all his lead vocals. The last time I saw BOC (which has been a bit more than a year ago), Eric was not even there. Buck said something about he "being under the weather" at the time. Just curious if anyone here knows if there is something seriously wrong with Eric? Maybe these two shows were just a fluke and he was sick and having vocal problems, but it all seems rather strange. Hope he is ok.
    I hope so too. I don't know what his issue(s) might be right now, but when I saw them a year ago I thought his vocals were really beginning to suffer. Not surprising, perhaps, given his way of singing. I don't know if anyone can really maintain that forever. Or at least that's my impression of his style/technique. I've always thought if I were to convince my band to do a whole set of BOC we'd probably have to stick to Buck's tunes.
    <sig out of order>

There's a YT clip of BOC performing "Astronomy" in Ireland a few years ago. Richie and Buck do long solos (Richie kind of steals the show). Eric is nowhere to be seen. I was wondering if he was just sitting that one out.

Eric Bloom's voice and stage activity have been on the decline for some years apparently. I hope he's well, but his voice has clearly suffered from years and years of touring.

Nice. Not a huge variation from the show I saw in 2018, but nice to see they're changing a few things up.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blue-...-4b966b06.html
    Slight variations yes, but basically the same sets they have been playing for years.

I hope so too. I don't know what his issue(s) might be right now, but when I saw them a year ago I thought his vocals were really beginning to suffer. Not surprising, perhaps, given his way of singing. I don't know if anyone can really maintain that forever. Or at least that's my impression of his style/technique. I've always thought if I were to convince my band to do a whole set of BOC we'd probably have to stick to Buck's tunes.
    I would agree that Eric’s voice has had a significant decline over the past decade or so. It is not so much that he can’t hit the notes, but the power behind his vocals have been greatly reduced. This is especially compared to Buck, who pretty much sounds like he always has. Still, it seems odd that he would not be singing any lead at all, unless there is something really wrong.

Found a youtube clip from back in August and Bloom was still singing:

yikes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

yikes.
    Agreed, it is pretty rough.

Saw them last night. They were great. Bloom sounded fine considering the years. He wasn't like that clip. Buck makes it look so easy. Really good band.

Their 12th album is being reissued in January - remastered and with updated artwork (preordering now):

Last edited by Dan Roth; 12-07-2019 at 11:15 AM.

"Cult Classic" is a compilation album. If I remember right they re-recorded some, if not all of the tracks on it at t he time it was released in the early 90's. It is a cool collection of material.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Cult Classic" is a compilation album. If I remember right they re-recorded some, if not all of the tracks on it at t he time it was released in the early 90's. It is a cool collection of material.
    Yea - the description on the preorder page says "Originally released in 1994, the album includes new recordings of the band’s biggest hits and most famous songs"

That cover is hideous. Did they have anything involvement with this release? Seems amateurish and not up to their standards compared to their rest of the catalog.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    That cover is hideous. Did they have anything involvement with this release? Seems amateurish and not up to their standards compared to their rest of the catalog.
    Yep. Looks like a Russian bootleg

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Yep. Looks like a Russian bootleg
    Haha. Nope. This remaster is being reissued through Frontiers Records.