Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Oyster Cult !

They're playing at a local club about three miles from my house in late October.

Very tempting. I only saw them once, in April of '78. I was right up front and center, literally leaning on the stage.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They're playing at a local club about three miles from my house in late October.

Very tempting. I only saw them once, in April of '78. I was right up front and center, literally leaning on the stage.
    41 years ago!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    41 years ago!
    Yep, my second concert. Horslips was the opener.

My first was Rush on the AFtK tour the previous November.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I saw BOC twice, circa 92-94. The first time they were playing a free show, at Cleveland's then annual Square To Square festival. They came on late (I think because it rained earlier that day), but I managed to get up to the front of stage and got Buck to hand me a guitar pick. I'm yelling "PICK! PICK!" and gesturing, and he holds up the pick, points, and has this look on his face like, "You want this?!", I'm like 'YEAH! YEAH!" and he just hands it to me. As I recall, though that was the show made convinced I needed to wear earplugs at all amplified music concerts. Some of Buck's hot licks felt like nails going into my ears. They played a great set.

The second time I saw them was at the Agora Theater, aprox. a year or two later. My recollection it was actually the same night as OJ Simpson's white Bronco chase. Wikipedia tells me the white Bronco chase was on June 12, 1994. That sounds like that could be the right date (stupid trivia note: I recall it was also the night of a pay-per-view concert by David Hasselhoff). Anyway, they again played a great set. This time, I was able to to get autographs from Buck and Eric on my LP copy of Agents Of Fortune. That was back before I knew what to talk to "famous musicians" about, so all I could say was, "Man, that show was awesome!" or words to that effect. I remember before Reaper, Eric saying something like "You might have seen this song on your TV awhile ago" (the month before, the song was used in the TV version of Stephen King's The Stand).

The encore on both shows was Golden Age Of Leather/The Red And The Black

Yep, my second concert. Horslips was the opener.
    Following up, it wasn't until I found a copy of the original concert ad online that I learned that Horslips was a replacement to the original opener, Judas Priest. Luckily, I saw JP about three other times during that period.

They still put on a great show. Eric's voice is not as strong as it used to be, but Buck still sounds great and just keeps getting better and better as a guitarist. Richie Castellano has been with them for years now, and can play just about anything.

It seems we'll get a new album from them in the not too distant future (I'm not holding my breath though), and I'll be glad to hear it at least because I want to hear Buck play new songs. What a great guitarist. I'll be glad to hear him sing too - and Eric's singing should be fine on a studio album.

The best American heavy rock band ever. One could very well omit the word American from the above statement.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    It seems we'll get a new album from them in the not too distant future (I'm not holding my breath though), and I'll be glad to hear it at least because I want to hear Buck play new songs. What a great guitarist. I'll be glad to hear him sing too - and Eric's singing should be fine on a studio album.
    I read that too. I hope it's better than "Hidden Mirror" and more like "Heaven Forbid."
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I read that too. I hope it's better than "Hidden Mirror" and more like "Heaven Forbid."
    Seconded!
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Well, I like both, but prefer "Hidden Mirror", because to me it has more of a "classic" BÖC feel and sound. HF sounds like they were trying a bit too hard to be heavy IMHO. That being said, "Harvest Moon" is one my favorite song from them. And at that point any new BÖC material will be good for me.

Curse of the Hidden Mirror is rad. Indeed, it harks back to Cultosaurus Erectus (my favorite 'classic' BÖC album, go figure!). "The Old Gods Return" is one of my favorite BÖC songs.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Curse of the Hidden Mirror is rad. Indeed, it harks back to Cultosaurus Erectus (my favorite 'classic' BÖC album, go figure!). "The Old Gods Return" is one of my favorite BÖC songs.
    I like "Heven Forbid" quite a bit better than "Curse", but agree "The Old Gods Return" is classic BOC.

They both definitely have some great stuff, but for some reason I connect more with Heaven Forbid. My favorites are "Harvest Moon", "X-ray Eyes", "Damaged", "Cold Gray Light Of Dawn", and "Live For Me". The latter is the one I like most and is fun to play on guitar. It also captures that classic creepy BOC vibe, IMO.
    <sig out of order>

I think it will be interesting to see what Richie Castallano can bring to the writing on the new one. He has been with the band for a long time now and seems to be a really talented guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think it will be interesting to see what Richie Castallano can bring to the writing on the new one. He has been with the band for a long time now and seems to be a really talented guy.

Richie is a talented musician and songwriter. I’m sure he’ll be bringing material in. Can’t wait for a new album!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What’s the best BOC album for a progger? If there is one. If not, just their best album.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-21-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Imaginos is still my favorite. I always discover something new each time I listen.

Got my tickets for 11/2. A Saturday show two miles from my house. Can't beat that.

Maybe I'll take along my ticket stub from '78 to see if I can get a couple of signatures on it. I might have a Buck Darma guitar pick, too. Hmmm.

What kind of guitar is Buck playing these days? For awhile he was toying with one of those headless axes and I thought it had terrible tone.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What’s the best BOC album for a progger? If there is one. If not, just their best album.
    That is a difficult question. They have done some proggy stuff here and there, but I can't think of an album that really features it all that much. Maybe "Secret Treaties" since much of it was part of the Imaginos saga might be my pick, but hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Imaginos is still my favorite. I always discover something new each time I listen.
    I have said this here before. I like it, but it could have been so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    What kind of guitar is Buck playing these days? For awhile he was toying with one of those headless axes and I thought it had terrible tone.
    Still playing that swiss cheese headless guitar last time I saw them a year or so ago.

Any of their albums from the 70's, up through Extraterrestrial Live I think would be the best place to start. Those were the best albums they ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Secret Treaties
    Cultosaurus Erectus
    Tyranny & Mutation
    Fire of Unknow Origin