Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Oyster Cult !

I never could get into these guys and I sure tried. I still love two tracks as in Don't Fear The Reaper and Burnin' For You.
    My daughter has the dvd's for the TV show Supernatural and it was funny watching this episode on the weekend where one of the so called satanic symbols on the wall of this haunted house turned out to be the symbol on the back of BOC's Fire Of Unknown Origin.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Ok, you guys have talked me into it. I will be purchasing The Complete Columbia Records Collection on Amazon. Is $87 a good price?
    I'd say so. Consider what you're getting. 16 CDs = how much if you buy them individually and new? a DVD, and whatever else is in it. one of these days I'll buy one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'd say so. Consider what you're getting. 16 CDs = how much if you buy them individually and new? a DVD, and whatever else is in it. one of these days I'll buy one.
    You make a good point. The selling point for me is remastered versions of On Your Feet Or On Your Knees, Mirrors, Cultasaurus Erectus, Fire Of Unknown Origin, Extraterrestrial Live, The Revolution By Night, and Imaginos.

You make a good point. The selling point for me is remastered versions of On Your Feet Or On Your Knees, Mirrors, Cultasaurus Erectus, Fire Of Unknown Origin, Extraterrestrial Live, The Revolution By Night, and Imaginos.
    Yup, and the remasters sound great. In fact one of the most impressive upgrades is on "Club Ninja". Not one of their best albums, but there are a few great tracks on it and sonically the re-master is much better than the original IMO.

Steve Sly

Banned
    A fat guy and his two knuckleheaded buddies go down on Buck...

$87 for the box is close to what I paid for the pre-order from importcds.com. It's $115 there now. Shortly after I ordered it the price went over $100.
    Don't forget you get to download 4 live shows with the included code. Good stuff.
    Still my all time favorite band. Everyone I grew up with was into them heavily, so it left a lasting impression.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    $87 for the box is close to what I paid for the pre-order from importcds.com. It's $115 there now. Shortly after I ordered it the price went over $100.
    Don't forget you get to download 4 live shows with the included code. Good stuff.
    Still my all time favorite band. Everyone I grew up with was into them heavily, so it left a lasting impression.
    I know this may be a stupid question, but would the box set be the import version if it came from Import CDs? Just asking, because I don't like imports. One time I ordered one of the 2008 Moodies remasters from Amazon. I thought that I had got the domestic version, but they sent me an import version.
    Last edited by JIF; 09-20-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Banned
    I know this may be a stupid question, but would the box set be the import version if it came from Import CDs? Just asking, because I don't like Imports. One time I ordered one of the 2008 Moodies remasters from Amazon. I thought that I had got the domestic version, but they sent me an import version.
    No, it is not a stupid question, and the answer is yes.

http://www.importcds.com/music/25007...ums-collection

Yes, it is an import. However I can't tell any differences.
    The DVD for Some Enchanted Evening is even NTSC.
    Sony Music release.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Yes, it is an import. However I can't tell any differences.
    The DVD for Some Enchanted Evening is even NTSC.
    Sony Music release.
    Was it released by Epic/Legacy in the U.K as well?

Right now an Amazon vendor called marvelio has the box set, new, for 78.39. ships from Pennsylvania

I just can't justify getting this box. I have the first four studio CDs in remastered form plus a few others in their old state. I'd love to see an expanded On Your Feet or to hear those other live shows but spending $80-90 for that privilege is just ridiculous. Maybe the label will release the live stuff after another year. But it's this kind of record company manipulation that pisses me off.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I just can't justify getting this box. I have the first four studio CDs in remastered form plus a few others in their old state. I'd love to see an expanded On Your Feet or to hear those other live shows but spending $80-90 for that privilege is just ridiculous. Maybe the label will release the live stuff after another year. But it's this kind of record company manipulation that pisses me off.
    I had much of their output on CD already too, but I still think the box is a great deal. The re-masters sound great, the extra live stuff is cool, and all in all I still think it is a great deal. No complaints here.

Steve Sly

Was it released by Epic/Legacy in the U.K as well?
    Sony Music / legacyrecordings.com
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    A fat guy and his two knuckleheaded buddies go down on Buck...

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed it. Amazing how long BOC has been doing it. I first saw them in 74 with some group named Kiss
    opening for them, which is as it should be.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Thanks for posting. I enjoyed it.
    I loved the part whe they were all (paraphrasing) "you're a pioneer of Metal, man!", and Buck tell's 'em that BOC were more inspired by SF psychedelic bands like the Grateful Dead.
    He also says that the song he most wished that he had written was "Boys Of Summer" which, when you think about it, it SO a Buck Dharma style of song.

Today at a Hastings store I bought new copies of the 2001 versions of Tyranny & Mutation and Secret Treaties for $5 each. I'm pleased. still want to get that box set when money is more abundant.

Question is where they a prog band & what do you reccomend?

I think they were Progressive at times. I love BOC! Buck Dharma is one of my favorite guitarists of all time. I even had the pleasure of meeting him a couple years ago. I would recommend getting Cultosaurus Erectus, Their self titled debut, Secret Treaties, and Tyranny and Mutation to start off with. I like their other stuff too, but those are my favorites of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    I loved the part whe they were all (paraphrasing) "you're a pioneer of Metal, man!", and Buck tell's 'em that BOC were more inspired by SF psychedelic bands like the Grateful Dead.
    He also says that the song he most wished that he had written was "Boys Of Summer" which, when you think about it, it SO a Buck Dharma style of song.
    I wish he'd make an instrumental surf album, the music he started with.

I'd say they were small "p" progressive, advancing the notion of hard rock/metal into something else. You won't hear a wall of synths, lots of key or time changes but the first three albums set a different direction for hard rock, one that didn't have too many followers. They weren't as heavy as their British brethren and a bit underproduced (the Bouchard brothers are hammering hard but down in the mix). But there was something unique there, a dark lyricism and a carefully layered sound. It's complex but not full on prog. Maybe an apt comparison would be Steely Dan?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Not sure about Steely Dan, whose music is leaning more in the jazz direction, but BOC always wrote interesting
    songs including lyrics, with fine musicianship, especially Buck. He's one of my favorite rock guitarists, so melodic.
    I love his vocals too. The original lineup were all 5"6" or so and under, I believe, not an imposing looking bunch.

I guess I could have written that better. I don't mean that as a direct comparison to Steely. But both brought a nuanced and smart approach to something that on its face is simple. Steely took dark lyrics and jazz sensibility to pop rock, BOC brought a dark lyricism and a more layered approach to hard rock.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I guess I could have written that better. I don't mean that as a direct comparison to Steely. But both brought a nuanced and smart approach to something that on its face is simple. Steely took dark lyrics and jazz sensibility to pop rock, BOC brought a dark lyricism and a more layered approach to hard rock.
    I see where you're going with this; there is more that meets the eye with both bands.

Banned
    I see where you're going with this; there is more that meets the eye with both bands.
    I would add Crack The Sky into the mix. Palumbo's lyrics are closer in terms to SD, but just as clever nonetheless.