Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Blue Oyster Cult !

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I have to have that Complete Columbia box set.
    If you are a BOC fan it is a must buy. The collection is fantastic all the way through.

Steve Sly

You get to download 4 live shows with the box set. The live show of the Cultosaurus Erectus tour has a few tunes I've not heard live and it's sound is great. What an awesome show. That alone was worth it for me. I should have counted, but I've seen them over 2 dozen times since 1978.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    You get to download 4 live shows with the box set. The live show of the Cultosaurus Erectus tour has a few tunes I've not heard live and it's sound is great. What an awesome show. That alone was worth it for me. I should have counted, but I've seen them over 2 dozen times since 1978.
    I've never seen them in person or been that interested in them until this year. once in a while, over the years, I'd give them a try. I guess they grew on me. Planning to go see them in Nashville in November. $100 seemed like an awful lot for the box, but when I did the math I realized it was quite a discount.

I've never seen them in person or been that interested in them until this year. once in a while, over the years, I'd give them a try. I guess they grew on me. Planning to go see them in Nashville in November. $100 seemed like an awful lot for the box, but when I did the math I realized it was quite a discount.
    You can actually find it cheaper if you look around. I think I paid $80 something for it. Considering all that it is included, even at $100 it is quite a bargain.

Steve Sly

I've been listening to the first four a lot recently.

The first three are great heavy rock albums with a lot of Psych influence and a nice proggy early 70s feel at times.Roeser was definitely into players like Cippolina and Krieger as much as he was heavier ones.

Agents i can take or leave for the most part.Reaper is a classic and there is some good lighter melodic rock to be had, but there isn't near the same clever arranging or strong composition to a lot of the tracks.ETI is dumb cheese and True confessions, sinful love and especially Debbie Denise are horrendous songs.The others are enjoyable enough, but i would take 95% of the previous album's stuff over them.The early version of "fire of unknown origin" on the remaster is really atmospheric though, and Sally would have been a better 50s pastiche to put on the album than True Confessions.

Nothing they did after Agents does it for me.Those first three are where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    Agents i can take or leave for the most part.Reaper is a classic and there is some good lighter melodic rock to be had, but there isn't near the same clever arranging or strong composition to a lot of the tracks.ETI is dumb cheese and True confessions, sinful love and especially Debbie Denise are horrendous songs.
    Oooh, definitely disagree with you there. ETI's got a cool guitar riff, and a soaring chorus. True Confessions and Sinful Love aren't my favorite songs on the album, but I think they're decent enough.

But Debbie Denise is one of my favorite songs from the band. It's got a beautiful melody, and I love the lyrics. Rarely was Patti Smith so unpretentious with her words, and I kinda like the theme of the lyric.

What BOC songs did Patti Smith write or collaborate on?

What BOC songs did Patti Smith write or collaborate on?
    She wrote the lyrics to:
    Debbie Denise
    Revenge Of Vera Gemini (she also does the spoken word thing on the intro)
    Career Of Evil
    Baby Ice Dog
    Shooting Shark

I get the impression she wrote stuff basically as poetry, which the band members (usually Albert Bouchard, I think) then adapted into song lyrics. I know Buck has said that Shooting Shark came about because he was going through some old papers and found some stuff Patti had sent him, and that led to him using her words to write that song.

Patti was supposed to do Revenge of Vera Gemini with the band for the NYC 40th Annv show, but it was canceled by Sandy. Stoopid hurricane!
    There's video of rehearsal floating around.
    Great song.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Patti was supposed to do Revenge of Vera Gemini with the band for the NYC 40th Annv show, but it was canceled by Sandy. Stoopid hurricane!
    Great song.
    There is an audio recording of that show on Dime.

Great song.
    the vid is on the BOC site. http://www.blueoystercult.com/MainFrame.html

Listening to an interview with Buck, I heard him say that with their last couple of albums, a lot of people were dlg the music but very few were paying for it. that pretty much accounts for the lack of new releases since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    Agents i can take or leave for the most part.Reaper is a classic and there is some good lighter melodic rock to be had, but there isn't near the same clever arranging or strong composition to a lot of the tracks.ETI is dumb cheese and True confessions, sinful love and especially Debbie Denise are horrendous songs.The others are enjoyable enough, but i would take 95% of the previous album's stuff over them.The early version of "fire of unknown origin" on the remaster is really atmospheric though, and Sally would have been a better 50s pastiche to put on the album than True Confessions.

Nothing they did after Agents does it for me.Those first three are where it's at.
    I’ve never been a big fan of “Agents” either. “Reaper” of course is a classic song, but the rest of it I find very average for B.O.C. although I do like “E.T.I”. I like the albums that came before and after it a lot better.

Steve Sly

I'm still a huge BOC fan, but if I never hear Reaper or Burning For You again, I'll live. Would rather hear Still Burnin'. And ETI is ok to me since it's lesser played, but I like Take Me Away better for the alien songs.
    Of the last few albums, Harvest Moon is one of their best tunes.
    Haven't seen them since I moved to B'more. Don't know how often they come 'round here. I'm well overdue for a show.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I'm still a huge BOC fan, but if I never hear Reaper or Burning For You again, I'll live. Would rather hear Still Burnin'. And ETI is ok to me since it's lesser played, but I like Take Me Away better for the alien songs.
    Of the last few albums, Harvest Moon is one of their best tunes.
    Haven't seen them since I moved to B'more. Don't know how often they come 'round here. I'm well overdue for a show.
    "Harvest Moon" is one of the best songs Buck ever wrote IMO.

Steve Sly

I love the live arrangement of E.T.I., especially on the Some Enchanted Evening disc.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Harvest Moon" is one of the best songs Buck ever wrote IMO.

Steve Sly
    That reminded me: That recording session I spoke of earlier, I was laying down my bass track and Don and I started shooting the breeze. Eventually, the subject of BOC inevitably appeared. He asked me if I was familiar with BOC's work and I said, "Yeah, of course". Don asked if I had a particular favorite song. I said, "Yeah, Shooting Shark." Don looked surprised and said, "Cool.Thanks. I wrote that one"*. I said, "Yeah, but I like it for the bass parts"

*The credits say Patti Smith co-wrote it. I have no clue. Im just relaying my end of the story

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I love the live arrangement of E.T.I., especially on the Some Enchanted Evening disc.
    Agreed.

This is my favorite version of the song. The extended Buck solo at the end is one of my favorite moments in their catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I’ve never been a big fan of “Agents” either. “Reaper” of course is a classic song, but the rest of it I find very average for B.O.C. although I do like “E.T.I”. I like the albums that came before and after it a lot better.
    That's good to know - I pretty much quit with them after Agents, whereas Tyrrany and Secret Treaties are two of my all-time favorites.

Agents of Fortune is one of my favourite albums. It doesn't have a bad track.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I like all their albums except Imaginos, just awful. Perfect Water is another great Buck (with Jim Carroll) song.
    Harvest Moon is an amazing song, no doubt.

Thank you to everyone. I have also always wondered about BOC.

I know the hits, but never heard the prog. My friend who introduced me to the wonders of Pink Floyd when we were 12 was also a BOC fan, but I didn't grasp them the same way and now as an adult wonder what I missed.

I will be going through there stuff a little more diligently.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rangershockey7 View Post
    Thank you to everyone. I have also always wondered about BOC.

I know the hits, but never heard the prog. My friend who introduced me to the wonders of Pink Floyd when we were 12 was also a BOC fan, but I didn't grasp them the same way and now as an adult wonder what I missed.

I will be going through there stuff a little more diligently.

Thanks
    BOC have always been one of those bands that people either seem to “get” or have little interest at all. For some reason they clicked with me and are one of my all time favorite bands, but I know a lot of classic rockers that don’t get into them at all, or if they do, it is just the hits. They are definitely an acquired taste, but for me they are one of the most unique bands in the history of rock n roll.

Steve Sly

I do find them hit and miss. When they are on, they're great and when they aren't they... aren't But overall I do think they were very cool and unique, especially the first four albums or so. They really had a cool and articulate lyrical style as well I thought.

Banned
    Ok, you guys have talked me into it. I will be purchasing The Complete Columbia Records Collection on Amazon. Is $87 a good price?