Thread: RIP Bill Russell

RIP Bill Russell

One of my childhood favorite players. He was the reason I was a Celtic fan

One of the all time greats.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    One of the all time greats.
    Yeah, he was before my time, so I have a hard time ranking him on all-time lists, but there's no doubt that he rates high. He also was a wonderful human being, on any scale.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Would Bill Russell have been a great or HoF player in today's game? Well, no one really plays his position anymore. But could he play in today's game. He was certainly athletic enough. Plus he had tremendous will power, tenacity and prowess with none of the presumption or entitlement. RIP.

^ I think the idea that today's players are so much better than the stars of yesteryear is ridiculous. It's recency bias in overdrive, but it doesn't pass the smell test for me.

I remember the end of his career. My Dad was a Celts fan, and I was a Lakers fan. I shared a room with my brothers and if it was a Friday or Saturday night, and the Celts played, I got to watch the games with him, but with one condition. I had to wait until my brothers fell asleep and then sneak out. If they woke up and found I was in the living room, it was back to bed for me. I became really good at silently getting out of the room from my top bunk bed. The one problem was Bill and the Celts always won. Russell was a winner his whole life and one of the greats in all of sports, with 11 NBA rings, an Olympic title, 2 NCAA titles and 2 state championships. Even though you made a small kid go to bed upset many times, RIP to a stellar athlete and gentleman, Bill Russell.
    Last edited by Tangram; 08-01-2022 at 12:51 PM.

RIP. A class act.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, he was before my time, so I have a hard time ranking him on all-time lists, but there's no doubt that he rates high. He also was a wonderful human being, on any scale.
    +1

He retired when I was still a little kid and didn't yet follow sports, so my main recollection of him is from things like this:
    Russell-201892.jpg