Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Vesilinja - s/t

FEATURED ALBUM: Vesilinja - s/t

One of the "Who Dat?" surprises from 2021, the self-titled album from the Finnish group Vesilinja is not only a pleasant, eclectic mix of classic prog, folk-rock, and jazz-rock - but also I have found that it's quite the grower with repeated listens. It's vaulted up my list as the months go on. If you haven't had a chance to give it a listen, here it is now...

Review from ProgArchives
    This is the brand new debut album of VESILINJA, a retro-minded prog band from Tuusula, Southern Finland. The name means literally "water line". The founding member Aake Salmi kindly told me some background for the name: "Starting as a duo of myself and Niko Saarinen, we made up this name referring to our water-themed surnames ['salmi' = strait; 'saari' = island]. In addition, neither of us are heavy consumers of alcohol. The name can also refer to our musical lines drawn in water, so to speak."

The 45-minute debut seems to be a real labour of love as a pure 70's-oriented prog album. The influences include the Finnish prog legends TASAVALLAN PRESIDENTTI, WIGWAM, TABULA RASA and HAIKARA, and various classic prog acts such as JETHRO TULL, YES, CAMEL, VdGG and KING CRIMSON in their 70's prime. Any modern characteristics in music are indeed pretty absent. All six songs, three on each vinyl side, have lyrics in Finnish. The opening track has a Tull-like flute and lively rhythm. I hear also the Pressa influence when saxophone joins in the hectic instrumental section. The vocal-included parts of 'Heinäkuorma' (= Burden of Hay) are in a calmer tempo. I especially like the moment around 5:40 where the fast instrumental jazz-rock section ethereally calms down. 'Vaihtoehto järjelle' (= Alternative for Reason) combines hectic jazz-rock/prog with lots of sax & flute, and more melodic vocal sections. The vinyl's second side is not radically different, being equally strong.

Guitarist-flautist Salmi and saxophonist Topias Ahola (the latter sings main vocals on two tracks) are rather same sounding as vocalists. Gracefully they are not as weak singers as Haikara's Vesa Lattunen, but sort of commonplace the same way. They do the vocal duties well enough while the emphasis is gratifyingly on the inspired, organic playing. The band sound is always flourishing and fairly democratic. Reeds, guitars and vintage keyboards primarily share the mutual joy of playing with a live-like feel and energy, adding passionate solos on right moments. This is the album's strength, but perhaps its weakness too: none of the six songs is notably different from each other. Instead of clearly having different things such as big epics vs. short ones, emotionally oriented melodic pieces vs. tight prog energy, all- instrumentals vs. vocal songs, etc., these features are well stirred on all tracks. This is why the album whole is not as fresh and exciting as I'd hope it to be.

Vesilinja is warmly recommended especially for enthusiasts of the 70's Finnish prog with a jazz-rock orientation. Hopefully the band will find a slightly more unique voice of their own. A gorgeous debut nevertheless. 3½ stars rounded up for a fine artwork, also courtesy of the band itself. - Matti
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Thanks for the heads up man! This sounds promising. Just added it to my Bandcamp list.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Sounds really interesting.

I hear some King Crimson in the second song, but a bit less raw and agressive. A bit to good.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 07-28-2022 at 11:38 AM.

Yeah, I'm a fan of this one too.

It was in my top 20 of last year.

Will respin it ASAP.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I spun this a lot when I first got it. I need to dig it out again. I remember liking it quite a bit, but I can't recall many details right now.

Bill

It's a pretty good and pleasant album - which I listened to a few times, gave a good grade at Gnosis, and that's about it. But that's my own problem with recent releases, even with the ones that are clearly inspired and well done as is Vesilinja. They do not change my world, or shake me up as a listener. After the buzz of the new release passes, I prefer to play Haikara 100 times.
    And that's what I will do actually.

I missed this one last year. I will give it a listen.

I have too many CDs like most of you.

Maybe I have it maybe I don't!

Where can one purchase this CD?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    This was answered in the new releases thread, when the CD came out. At first, it was only available as a download, which I balked at, but someone posted that a CD would be forthcoming. So if you can find the date for the release of the download on BC, you can check the New Releases thread from that date coming this way, and you'll find the link. It was a Finnish dealer or label, iirc. If I was forced to guess, I'd say Svart Records, but my memory is not quite as reliable as in days gone by, so...

This was my first encounter with this, but I'm quite intrigued by listening to a few of the songs on Bandcamp. Some very nice Tull-ish flute, songs which ebb and flow in subtle and appealing ways. I'll be interested in checking it out further.

I have this on vinyl and it was one of my top albums for 2021. Definitely worth a listen!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    This was answered in the new releases thread, when the CD came out. At first, it was only available as a download, which I balked at, but someone posted that a CD would be forthcoming. So if you can find the date for the release of the download on BC, you can check the New Releases thread from that date coming this way, and you'll find the link. It was a Finnish dealer or label, iirc. If I was forced to guess, I'd say Svart Records, but my memory is not quite as reliable as in days gone by, so...
    If memory serves, I managed to get it through my B&M store, so it has an official distribution.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Not a top release for a generally good year as 2021, but pleasant one to be a keeper.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I seem to remember that this was quite mediocre retro stuff (lots of that is being made in Finland for some reason) but maybe I need to have a re-listen.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I gave it a fresh listen last night. Pleasant enough stuff. For some reason, it has a kind of Italian vibe to me, not the big names, but groups like Il Volo or maybe Apoteosi. Not that Vesilinja sound like either of those, but it's kind of "in that vein," if that makes any sense. Some early Tull influence here or there with the flute, as well. Nothing earth shattering, but there's a lot of Scandinavian "folk Prog" out there, and this caught and held my attention far better than a lot of those. It's not up to Elds Mark or Jordso, but it's not that far off, either, imo.

Bill

Thanks for sharing, dude! It's a shame that I haven't heard these guys before. It is really cool modern music with high-quality vocals and skilled musicians. If I were the PR manager of this group, I would promote this group on streaming platforms and TikTok. Because this is music for modern youth who appreciate the original melodic sound, the target audience of these musicians is mainly looking for something new on Spotify and other similar platforms.
    Last edited by Milvian; 08-04-2022 at 06:10 AM.

How did I miss this one? Sounds great!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I bought mine from here: https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/vesilinja/vesilinja/