Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72

Thread: NEKTAR Plays ProgDay 2022!

  1. #1

    NEKTAR Plays ProgDay 2022!

    NEKTAR Plays ProgDay 2022!

    Formed in Germany in 1969 by British expats, NEKTAR are among the progenitors of the progressive rock movement of the 1970s as well as the jam-band scene that arose in the late 1990s. Their music traveled to the States, where they enjoyed Top 40 success with A Tab in the Ocean (1972) and Remember the Future (1973). Nearly 20 albums and a half-century later, the band’s artistic and personal charisma has earned them thousands of devoted fans.

    With a current lineup featuring three original members – Derek ‘Mo’ Moore (bass guitar, vocals), Ron Howden (drums, percussion, vocals) and Mick Brockett (visual environment) - and two members of previous Nektar incarnations - Ryche Chlanda (guitar, vocals) and Randy Dembo (bass guitar, bass pedals, 12-string guitar, vocals) - Nektar continues to follow the sound that made them legendary. Their latest release, The Other Side, has been called “the best recording by Nektar since Recycled.”

    Join NEKTAR, iNFiNiEN, AZIOLA CRY and LUX TERMINUS at ProgDay 2022. ProgDay is a two day outdoor festival of progressive rock. ProgDay 2022 will take place on Saturday and Sunday, September 3 and 4, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, please visit us at www.progday.net.

    To hear music from this year’s bands, please visit the ProgDay Music page (http://www.progday.net/ProgDay-Music.html).

  2. #2
    Wow! That's a pretty cool score
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

  3. #3
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    8,822
    Sweet!
    Ian

    Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    332
    Always fun. And my "gateway" band to prog.
    Wonder what outdoors and daytime does to their lightshow (which, imo, is not as good as the old liquid lights)?

  5. #5
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greater New York Area
    Posts
    14,388
    Woot!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

  6. #6
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    10,995
    Yeah, this is wonderful news!

  7. #7
    W.P.O.D. Dan Marsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Media, PA
    Posts
    203
    Nice!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    7,554
    Very cool.

  9. #9
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,813
    No projections this time I presume.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    7,554
    Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    Always fun. And my "gateway" band to prog.
    Wonder what outdoors and daytime does to their lightshow (which, imo, is not as good as the old liquid lights)?
    I think they will be fine without the light show. Just saw them on Cruise To The Edge and they were great. I think it will be cool to see them in an outdoor environment.

  11. #11
    Michael scores...
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

  12. #12
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    7,263
    A wonderful win

    I missed them at Nearfest.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  13. #13
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    3,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    A wonderful win

    I missed them at Nearfest.
    My first time seeing them was at Nearfest. I saw them two more times after that but they were unfortunately less enjoyable (but still good) each time (with the third time being the least enjoyable). Their NF appearance was one of the best shows I saw at NF. I believe they were suppose to play one year at Progday but they couldn't make it and got Happy the Man instead as a replacement. Someone please correct me if I'm remembering that wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it went down. It's good that PD was finally able to secure Nektar (I guess it's just too bad it's a post Roye version of the band).
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    7,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    My first time seeing them was at Nearfest. I saw them two more times after that but they were unfortunately less enjoyable (but still good) each time (with the third time being the least enjoyable). Their NF appearance was one of the best shows I saw at NF. I believe they were suppose to play one year at Progday but they couldn't make it and got Happy the Man instead as a replacement. Someone please correct me if I'm remembering that wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it went down. It's good that PD was finally able to secure Nektar (I guess it's just too bad it's a post Roye version of the band).
    Yes, they were booked to play ProgDay, but pulled out. It is so long ago that I don't remember the reason, nor do I remember who the replacement was.

    Regarding the post Roye version of the band, they are very very good. I have seen the current lineup twice and they will put on a great show. We all miss Roye, but the band have carried on with their latest album being very good.

  15. #15
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    3,710
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yes, they were booked to play ProgDay, but pulled out. It is so long ago that I don't remember the reason, nor do I remember who the replacement was.

    Regarding the post Roye version of the band, they are very very good. I have seen the current lineup twice and they will put on a great show. We all miss Roye, but the band have carried on with their latest album being very good.
    I'm pretty sure it was Happy The Man like I said. I looked it up after I posted and they played there in 2005.

    I'll take your word for it Steve. The last time I saw them was with Wishbone Ash and for some reason Wishbone Ash were the headliners so Nektar's set was maybe not as long as it could have been. I don't dislike WA but the two times I've seen them they've sort of bored me a bit. Back to Nektar, they still have at least one original member so I'm sure they still do a lot of good material (ie the classics). I'm sure those attending this year's PD will enjoy them quite a bit.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Back to Nektar, they still have at least one original member so I'm sure they still do a lot of good material (ie the classics). I'm sure those attending this year's PD will enjoy them quite a bit.
    They have 3 original members, including the original rhythm section of Mo Moore (bass) and Ron Howden (drums) as well as Mick Brockett (lights)

    Their last tour leading up to CttE was excellent, and featured several full album sides from their classic era, I'm sure this will be a special show too

  17. #17
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,774
    Oh, boy! This is going to be great!

    Atta boy, Luther!
    Lou

    Looking forward to my day in court.

  18. #18
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,736
    Lovin the new Nektar album The Other Side. The mix and production and of course the songwriting/performance is A++++.
    Got it on vinyl when they were asking for support on Kickstarter.

    Speaking of Progday, did anyone ever see this great set by Ephemeral Sun, featuring PE's very own John Battema, Prog Day 2017?

    Love this...and it shows the diversity and talent Prog Day brings to the table for prog fans.

    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    7,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Lovin the new Nektar album The Other Side. The mix and production and of course the songwriting/performance is A++++.
    Got it on vinyl when they were asking for support on Kickstarter.

    Speaking of Progday, did anyone ever see this great set by Ephemeral Sun, featuring PE's very own John Battema, Prog Day 2017?

    Love this...and it shows the diversity and talent Prog Day brings to the table for prog fans.

    I was there and agree it was great!

  20. #20
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    8,822
    Wonderful show, bought the t shirt
    Ian

    Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  21. #21
    I was there, it was just ok





    (I am lying outright....PD 2017 may be one of the single best shows/days of my life and I continue to be absurdly grateful to everyone who was part of it, whether in front of or behind the stage )
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

  22. #22
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    18,179
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I was there, it was just ok





    (I am lying outright....PD 2017 may be one of the single best shows/days of my life and I continue to be absurdly grateful to everyone who was part of it, whether in front of or behind the stage )
    Another PE Troll!

    Excellent.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Another PE Troll!

    Excellent.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

  24. #24
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,813
    Get your tickets!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  25. #25
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,813
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I was there, it was just ok





    (I am lying outright....PD 2017 may be one of the single best shows/days of my life and I continue to be absurdly grateful to everyone who was part of it, whether in front of or behind the stage )
    Did you get the tee shirt though?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •