Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Morse leaves Deep Purple permanently

Steve Morse leaves Deep Purple permanently

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/ste...es-deep-purple

Completely understandable and a sad situation for Steve. But he's making the right move. Sad to see the end of this 28 year era, I've loved his playing in Purple.

NP: Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming (Purpendicular, 1996)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    https://www.guitarworld.com/news/ste...es-deep-purple

Completely understandable and a sad situation for Steve. But he's making the right move. Sad to see the end of this 28 year era, I've loved his playing in Purple.

NP: Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming (Purpendicular, 1996)
    That's very sad. Steve did a lot for that band, but yes, I can totally feel his pain, so I wish him and his wife all the best.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Sorry to hear this, as a long time fan of Morse, I wish him and his wife the very best of luck, and to Deep Purple too.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Totally understandable, but still sad. Steve has brought a lot to that band in the last two decades.

Wow... Sad news. Wishing Steve and Janine the best.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I remember when he and Janine got married, and Albert Lee played at their wedding. The fact their marriage has lasted so long is testament to how real it is.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm not surprised to hear this. Steve is making the right decision and the band seem to understand that family come first. Wishing Steve and Janine the best. I wonder if the current guitar player will be Morse's permanent replacement.

Sad news.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I'm not surprised to hear this. Steve is making the right decision and the band seem to understand that family come first. Wishing Steve and Janine the best. I wonder if the current guitar player will be Morse's permanent replacement.
    I think he's just the live guitarist at the moment. I would think he would be the obvious choice though. I doubt they would be making any phone calls to mr. Blackmore.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Mr. Morse, thank you for your service. I've seen you live many times with the (Dixie) Dregs (never with DP, tho), and you seem like a really nice guy. Would like to meet you some day to say "thanks" for all the memories.

Thinking good thoughts as Janine and you battle cancer together.

Steve Morse revitalized this once-great band and MDPGA! His great debut with them, Purpendicular, is still their best with him IMHO, but the last three albums of original material have been consistently strong as well. The band really took a risk with him and the music was absolutely not the same. It was very different and they embraced it and kept going, keeping it real and exciting, and keeping their concert audience in the process.

I wish Steve and his wife all the best, though it sounds bleak. he's gotta do what he's gotta do.

Yeah, tough news for him. He seems like a really good guy making the right decision for his family. What a shame.

That’s really sad to read. I hadn’t realised he was already taking a break, I saw the new tour announcement and thought I would love to see Steve Morse play again. I wish them both the very best.

I’ve seen Steve in various bands, The Dregs, Kansas, Steve Morse Band and Deep Purple twice. An amazing musician. I loved when he talked to the audience at length. A very down to earth guy. I was so sad when I read about his wife’s cancer and even more sad that it hasn’t improved. He made the only decision he could. I will miss him in Deep Purple but there are more important things. Family comes first. All the very best to Janine and Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve's a class act. I only saw him twice ... in the same night when the Steve Morse Band opened for Kansas. Now there's a guy who just loves to play.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I saw Steve twice with the Dregs in the 70's and with Flying Colors a couple of years ago.

all the best to Steve and his wife.

I saw him twice with Kansas and twice with Flying Colors.

Very sad to hear this. I hope her disease is one that can be recovered from, and that she and him can both find peace.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I can only wish Steve Morse and his wife nothing but the best and blessings.

Steve and I share exactly the same Birthday (07 - 28 -1954) which will be tomorrow when we both celebrate one more year but for Steve, he will share more day of caring for his wife Janine.

Happy birthday to you both!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Happy birthday to you both!
    Thanks

And July 28 was also birthday to Richard Wright of Pink Floyd also but sadly he is no longer with us.
    Last edited by Rajaz; 07-29-2022 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Sorry to read this. Been a fan since I heard The Introduction in the early 80s. Saw him with DP and The Dregs. Great guitarist. One of the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Great guitarist. One of the best ever.
    Yep.

I've seen Morse with Purple quite a few times, this solo section from the Total Abandon DVD is such a treasure - with the wonderful Jon Lord too:

^^ The interplay between Jon and Steve was masterful. They could read each other like a comic book.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Sad news elsewhere in the Purple camp as Ian Gillan's wife passed away on November 19th. Ian had to cancel his solo tour of Spain that was following hot on the heels of the recent DP tour.

g-wed-DP.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***