Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Marillion's Holidays in Eden up next for deluxe edition

Except 3 things (the new/2022 remix of album, the 2 live concerts at Hammersmith and Rockpalast, and a video documentary), seems to me at first quick look that what's left on this product's audio/video tracklist is content that one has if one has the following things (note: you can post here if you look into checking the correctness of this):
    1) the 2nd CD of the 2CD Remaster,
    2) Stoke Row DVD,
    3) the promo videos DVD
    4) individual Single releases from the time
    I've put #2 here only due to one thing, the "This Town demo (Stanbridge Studios)", which, although was not on #1, is probably that one (with-video) performance we already know is in the Stoke Row DVD.

Might be a bit annoying that Racket's description doesn't quite make 100% clear whether the Rockpalast thing is video, rather than audio only. I think probably video, since I think it's that widely known video footage from Koln 1991 that's been around forever on some people's VHS tapes --- because seems to me from a website Koln is where this Rockpalast was.

Those were just some observations...not trying to diminish the release at all, even the documentary alone would be interesting enough.

#4 (Singles) might not need to be on the list, if #1 covers that ground already, which it might, I didn't check thoroughly.

The eons are closing
    I have #1 thru #4 - ordered anyway [emoji16]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't like "Fantastic Place" for a long time, but eventually came around to like it, and I think of the two songs as being sort of similar. And that's another that most people really like. But I never came around to Dry Land for whatever reason. It's me, not the song, I guess. There aren't many Marillion songs I don't like!
    I love Holidays in Eden! Purchased the album when new. In the US I snagged the cassette version which was released on IRS records. The track listing was different

A1 Cover My Eyes 3:56
    A2 No One Can Take You Away From Me 4:39
    A3 Splintering Heart 6:51
    A4 The Party 5:36
    A5 A Collection 2:58
    B1 Holidays In Eden 5:58
    B2 How Can It Hurt 4:09
    B3 Dry Land 4:42
    B4 Waiting To Happen 4:55
    B5 This Town 3:18
    B6 The Rakes Progress 1:54
    B7 100 Nights 6:42

I liked the album a lot almost right off because I loved the creepy as fuck song A Collection. I still have the EMI UK CD released in 1991 which doesn't have A Collection. I'm not a fan of the '98 remaster so I'm looking forward to the new mix of the album. I loved the Hogarth records right away. Just as a unique vocalist but while the band did sound a touch more poppy (though be honest, Kayleigh is pure pop goodness) I appreciated the fact that Marillion sounded less like a Neo-prog band that grew up listening to nothing but Gabriel era Genesis which is what they sounded like with the talented Mr. Dick on vocals. I didn't get to see Marillion with Hogarth until the This Strange Engine tour came to San Francisco in 1997 but they put on a good show after Pete got the sound for his bass to work! I'd previously seen Marillion with Fish on the Childhood's End and Clutching at Straws tours in Los Angeles.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Wow, weird that it didn't begin with Splintering Heart!
    And, a full Misplaced Childhood show? Nice! Or were they opening for someone? I saw them open for Rush, but I THINK those shows (at Radio City Music Hall) were before Misplaced. Maybe I'm wrong about that, because I don't know what they played as I sadly wasn't paying attention.

The eons are closing
    Jed - you dont have both the US release AND the proper UK/Eur CD? Collector s'mellector....

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    I love Holidays in Eden! Purchased the album when new. In the US I snagged the cassette version which was released on IRS records. The track listing was different

A1 Cover My Eyes 3:56
    A2 No One Can Take You Away From Me 4:39
    A3 Splintering Heart 6:51
    A4 The Party 5:36
    A5 A Collection 2:58
    B1 Holidays In Eden 5:58
    B2 How Can It Hurt 4:09
    B3 Dry Land 4:42
    B4 Waiting To Happen 4:55
    B5 This Town 3:18
    B6 The Rakes Progress 1:54
    B7 100 Nights 6:42

I liked the album a lot almost right off because I loved the creepy as fuck song A Collection. I still have the EMI UK CD released in 1991 which doesn't have A Collection. I'm not a fan of the '98 remaster so I'm looking forward to the new mix of the album. I loved the Hogarth records right away. Just as a unique vocalist but while the band did sound a touch more poppy (though be honest, Kayleigh is pure pop goodness) I appreciated the fact that Marillion sounded less like a Neo-prog band that grew up listening to nothing but Gabriel era Genesis which is what they sounded like with the talented Mr. Dick on vocals. I didn't get to see Marillion with Hogarth until the This Strange Engine tour came to San Francisco in 1997 but they put on a good show after Pete got the sound for his bass to work! I'd previously seen Marillion with Fish on the Childhood's End and Clutching at Straws tours in Los Angeles.
    Same here I had the cassette first too. I prefer the track order on the cassette TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Jed - you dont have both the US release AND the proper UK/Eur CD? Collector s'mellector....

I managed to find the UK release in a shop before it was released in the US (not an easy feat to find that European CD, even in NYC, let me tell you!), so I never bothered with the US release. I bought all the singles in the various formats to get all those other tracks and acoustic versions, so I never really felt the need for the US version. So there!

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Same here I had the cassette first too. I prefer the track order on the cassette TBH.
    I still prefer it as well. Looking forward to the remix.

The eons are closing
    I managed to find the UK release in a shop before it was released in the US (not an easy feat to find that European CD, even in NYC, let me tell you!), so I never bothered with the US release. I bought all the singles in the various formats to get all those other tracks and acoustic versions, so I never really felt the need for the US version. So there!
    I had also bought my UK CD first b4 the US version was released down on West 8th st.

In fact, IIRC, they played the Ritz (opening with Splintering Heart) before the US release was out too.

Pre-ordered! I do have most of the stuff on it, but I like these Deluxe editions from the band. They do look nice on the shelf too

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Pre-ordered! I do have most of the stuff on it, but I like these Deluxe editions from the band. They do look nice on the shelf too
    Exactly!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I don't suppose there's any way to get the previously released Deluxe Editions at this point, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I don't know - look around. Discogs and eBay, probably. Did you check Fish's shop for the ones from his era?

I don't know - look around. Discogs and eBay, probably. Did you check Fish's shop for the ones from his era?
    I haven't checked anywhere, yet. Thanks!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    Scott - some are readily available and some will be at "resale" prices.

Banned
    This gem just appeared on YouTube for me:

^ My introduction to Marillion. That gig was broadcast on American radio on the BBC Rock Hour program. Fish's voice was pretty shot, as it was near or at the end of the tour, but I loved what I heard.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 07-28-2022 at 11:05 PM.

HiE deserves a prize for possibly being the last album with Rothery's pattern of using his great early classic clean/non-distortion Strat+RolandJC chorus-effect sound (no/little flange-effect…) *essentially all over an album, on multiple songs* (rather than on just one song), his clean classic sound on things like Kayleigh, WWC, KoSTown, Berlin. Has songs like SH and 100 Nights.

P.S. Seems the next one Brave only had one such song not multiple: Great Escape. (Runaway doesn't count, not close enough to the same sound, too much flange-effect.) And the next one AoS is either Steinberger (not Strat, also a clean sound but really very distinct: Gazpacho, and probably Beautiful) or has much flange-effect added (like on King).

I like Seasons End more but this was a good album too.

Forget my King comment, I was thinking something else

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'll confess, I bought this as a collector. If you bought it now, it will be double in value sealed in 1 or 2 years.
    I have been searching around the net for this release and have found far fewer sellers than the previous editions (Fish era). Maybe more will appear between now and the release date mid-September.

Racket Records (best deal overall)
    Burning Shed
    Amazon (CD's only)
    townsendmusic (highest price overall)
    Import CD (CD's only)

Burning Shed has a recommendation - Order the CD's & LP's separately. The cost of LP shipping is higher and the CD's don't need that expensive service.

Anyway, I think there will be fewer copies pressed than in the past so will be harder to find a year from now. Remember all the lamenting for the OOP Jethro Tull editions?

Snooze at your own risk.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    HiE deserves a prize for possibly being the last album with Rothery's pattern of using his great early classic clean/non-distortion Strat+RolandJC chorus-effect sound (no/little flange-effect…) *essentially all over an album, on multiple songs* (rather than on just one song), his clean classic sound on things like Kayleigh, WWC, KoSTown, Berlin. Has songs like SH and 100 Nights.

P.S. Seems the next one Brave only had one such song not multiple: Great Escape. (Runaway doesn't count, not close enough to the same sound, too much flange-effect.) And the next one AoS is either Steinberger (not Strat, also a clean sound but really very distinct: Gazpacho, and probably Beautiful) or has much flange-effect added (like on King).

I like Seasons End more but this was a good album too.
    What about the sound on this:

I think you're asking me: What about it?? You mean the overall sound or the guitar sound? Didn't listen all the way thru but both sound fine to me. Since I don't have my headphones now, can't really hear closely the various detailed audio nuances, so I hope you weren't asking me to decipher what effects he's using here --- just listening thru my phone's very limited speakers, as I usually do nowadays. In fact, right now to me in the guitar part at the beginning of the song every fourth note are audible while the other three seem not there.:-)

Banned
    Yes, I was mostly referring to the guitar. Seems to be blending with strings at times, either thru effects the violins or his guitar. I haven’t watched many videos from this version of Marillion, but his sound is especially beautiful here, don’t know how to describe it.

In the beginning minutes, ball-park his guitar is essentially the same tone as before (such as on studio album and the original live shows such as the Rock Steady show on Stoke Row DVD) -- here during the mix they've maybe only both overall softened it and smoothed out the edges (the high-freq bits, which is why each note isn't heard crisp/bright here; just compare to the crispness in studio album or Stoke Row), probably with additional Reverb added too, but basically sounds like it's the same old fundamental guitar-effects underneath, where, here he's likely again getting the classic stereo chorus-effect from the JC (Jazz Chorus) amp behind him (notice it's double-mic'ed; that amp has a neat stereo chorus sound he likes filling the venue with, in stereo). Yeah the strings are in the mix during this segment here but they're pretty much doing what Kelly does anyway in that segment -- they're adding more strings to the strings there is. They're not really doing what the guitar is doing. The whole mix/mastering has been done rather soft here, as if it wasn't soft enough on the album, and you're noticing it. Yeah it's good stuff.