Thread: Steve Hackett- A Celebration!

Steve Hackett- A Celebration!

It was his birthday last month but can't remember the obligatory 'Happy Birthday` thread ?
    Thought it would be a good time to celebrate Steve Hackett the person just before he sets off on his World Tour!
    Over recent years he has become my favourite Prog artist! He has never been my favourite guitarist but I won't deny he's a great one. My respect comes for his contribution to progressive music over the past four decades. Here was a guy who left a band who where riding the crest of a wave & probably making, or about to have the opportunity to make some serious money for the first time in their career yet his artistic values where worth much more than that! He has continued to fly the flag & support other upcoming prog artists! He always supports & shows up at the annual Classic Rock Society awards night & happily stands and mingle with fans & artists!u

My first Genesis concert was ATTWT but I didn't enjoy it, I didn't realise it at the time but it was because Steve wasn't there. It just felt something was missing!
    Please don't turn this into a 'who's better, who' best' thread & just share stories and respect for a great PROG guitarist & person!

See you in London & Sheffield Mr. Hackett!
    Last edited by Rufus; 03-22-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Very Nice! Mr. Hackett is one of my favorite artists, I love his music, and as a guitarist I have so much respect for his playing. He is truly a player with is own unique sound, and you cant say that about many, but he is one of those players you just can identify when you hear. I have had the opportunity to meet him twice, and he was very gracious and friendly. I have seen him live a number of times, and one of my best memories was seeing his acoustic tour in Troy NY at the music hall. It was so intimate. His NEARFest 2002 performance was fantastic, I have never been let down. I hope to have the opportunity to see his Genesis revisited tour, waiting to see if he comes close to my area - he has in the past. If not, he is one artist who I am more than happy to "hit the road" to see a show.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    Very Nice! Mr. Hackett is one of my favorite artists, I love his music, and as a guitarist I have so much respect for his playing. He is truly a player with is own unique sound, and you cant say that about many, but he is one of those players you just can identify when you hear. I have had the opportunity to meet him twice, and he was very gracious and friendly. I have seen him live a number of times, and one of my best memories was seeing his acoustic tour in Troy NY at the music hall. It was so intimate. His NEARFest 2002 performance was fantastic, I have never been let down. I hope to have the opportunity to see his Genesis revisited tour, waiting to see if he comes close to my area - he has in the past.
    If not, he is one artist who I am more than happy to "hit the road" to see a show.
    Yes, he's the most humblest 'Rock Stars ' you could ever wish to meet !

In my book, Mr. Steve Hackett is a "Prog God". A real class act. How does he think up some of those riffs? A real talent and a real nice guy. He is an honor to the prog community.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    In my book, Mr. Steve Hackett is a "Prog God". A real class act. How does he think up some of those riffs? A real talent and a real nice guy. He is an honor to the prog community.
    More or less summarizes it for me. He, like Bruford whom I put in the same bag of "integrity before anything else", took decisions at turning points of their respective band's development, which show what was more important for them.

My respects and admiration

...and a belated HappyBirthday

Ed
    Last edited by rickmoraz; 03-22-2013 at 03:28 PM.

I love Steve's music - my favorite of all the Genesis solo members. And on the occasion I was able to meet him, he's just such a humble and down-to-earth guy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    He seems very humble, yet confident and friendly. To come through a career like he's enjoyed and still enjoys and be like that, he's clearly doing many things right. He gives the fans what they want while continuing to satisfy his muse. What more could we ask? Hats off to Hackett!

I mentioned this before here, but I remember shaking his hand and saying to myself that he had small hands. He is my favorite guitarist of all time and a overall gentleman. Alphonso Johnson and Chester Thompson had wonderful things to say about meeting and working with Steve.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    I mentioned this before here, but I remember shaking his hand and saying to myself that he had small hands.
    But dreamy eyes...

LOL. Funny observation. Maybe that's why his sound seems to be based on sustained notes rather than speedy fretwork.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm seeing Steve, first row, in and few nights later, with decent seats, in Gatineau, Quebec (part of Ottawa, Ontario). Steve has always been my favourite guitarist and artist. Rock on.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)