Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Änglagård - Reissues?

Änglagård - Reissues?

I am only discovering Änglagård over the last few years, off and on. One thing I notice immediately is ALL of their studio stuff is OOP and quite expensive second-hand.

I wonder why some label(s) somewhere haven't reissued these albums?

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I am only discovering Änglagård over the last few years, off and on. One thing I notice immediately is ALL of their studio stuff is OOP and quite expensive second-hand.

I wonder why some label(s) somewhere haven't reissued these albums?
    dot dot dot

There MUST be a reason, right?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Actually, in fairness, there are TWO overlapping answers to the question.

1. Catalog in physical format is dead; there is not demand for yet another pressing on CD of Anglagard for anyone else to propose it to them (and before you argue with me about it, if there was demand, the band would just make more, right?)

2. The band would never agree to license them
    Last edited by Steve F.; 07-14-2022 at 06:29 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Reissue labels exist for this reason. They repress albums on CD, vinyl and even cassette. They're not massive pressings, usually limited to 3000 or less (some even only 500). Physical is only "dead" compared to peak numbers. Physical is still in demand in niche genres like Prog.

As for the band never agreeing to license them, then that's their decision. I'd be curious to know why you think they'd never agree or be interested.

Reissue labels exist for this reason. They repress albums on CD, vinyl and even cassette. They're not massive pressings, usually limited to 3000 or less (some even only 500).
    About time Steve learned about reissue labels, frankly.

You could always contact them to find out what the deal is. As I recall, the band did a lot of stuff by unanimous consent so things sometimes take a lot longer for them than you might otherwise expect. The band has also largely split since 2012... I believe some do not play live, and Johnson and Olsson are no longer associated at all. It wouldn't surprise me if they're not able to get agreement that there should be a reissue.

EDIT: I see Greg still has the last studio album?
    http://synphonicmusic.com/country/sweden.html
    Last edited by smcfee; 07-14-2022 at 07:25 PM.

As for the band never agreeing to license them, then that's their decision. I'd be curious to know why you think they'd never agree or be interested.
    Because I, and others, spoke with them, when the market was not so shitty and it would have made sense to do.

And you haven’t told me why the band doesn’t just press another 500!

“We must have complete control” is the money quote.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Banned
    The good news here is that Syn-Phonic still has 3 Anglagard CD's currently in stock and they are reasonably priced:

BURIED ALIVE (MUSEA)
    BURIED ALIVE (REMASTERED) (SHM-CD) (JAPANESE MINI LP SLEEVE) (ARCÀNGELO)
    VILJANS ÖGA (DIGISLEEVE) (ÄNGLAGÅRD RECORDS)
    PROG PÅ SVENSKA - LIVE IN JAPAN

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Because I, and others, spoke with them, when the market was not so shitty and it would have made sense to do.

And you haven’t told me why the band doesn’t just press another 500!

“We must have complete control” is the money quote.
    OK. I had no idea the band was so accessible. It's all good. They seem to be quite revered and I was just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    You could always contact them to find out what the deal is. As I recall, the band did a lot of stuff by unanimous consent so things sometimes take a lot longer for them than you might otherwise expect. The band has also largely split since 2012... I believe some do not play live, and Johnson and Olsson are no longer associated at all. It wouldn't surprise me if they're not able to get agreement that there should be a reissue.

EDIT: I see Greg still has the last studio album?
    http://synphonicmusic.com/country/sweden.html
    If they don't want to do it, then that's their decision. I just know that new fans like myself might appreciate the opportunity to get new copies since we missed them the first time around.

Thanks for the tip.

Dreaming that one day the first album would be reissued on vinyl.

I just discovered that Anglagard has released a DVD from their 1993 tour. Previously had only 20 odd minutes of that tour on the Progfest '94 DVD, so it'll be great to have 90 minutes.
    https://anglagard.bandcamp.com/merch...fan-club-merch

Just so there are no surprises, it appears that's a DVDr.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I just discovered that Anglagard has released a DVD from their 1993 tour. Previously had only 20 odd minutes of that tour on the Progfest '94 DVD, so it'll be great to have 90 minutes.
    Ordered! Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea such a thing existed.

^ You used to have to join the Fan Club to get it, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    how come a swedish band on bandcamp ships from the US ???
    I will get clobbered by import tax, if I do gon on

something's really wrong with this world.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's a shame their cds are not re-released. They are loved and it's frustrating that there may not be enough demand. It's the nature of the business as such that these kinds of situations occur. It's sad because they are so great

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    It's a shame their cds are not re-released. They are loved and it's frustrating that there may not be enough demand. It's the nature of the business as such that these kinds of situations occur. It's sad because they are so great
    The real shame is that a band of almost unparalleled talent put out such a miniscule amount of music over the years. Prog-Rock's answer to Boston, with the exception that Anglagard were truly great, unlike Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Dreaming that one day the first album would be reissued on vinyl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    The band would never agree to license them
    According to rumour, someone here in Norway already made a pass on the band to see for possibilities of vinyl reissues. And from what I heard, this was a long time ago now. No avail in either case.

And the same apparently goes for Landberk. Those artifacts simply dust themselves into oblivious history, I guess. Such awesome music, and left to none or the brief few.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

As long as downloads are still available, these bands aren't totally dead yet.

Interesting. I remember about 15 years ago or so they were oop. Then they were re-released at some point after that but I don't know exactly when. I just know that I bought the three main ones at Rosfest when they played there in 2017.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    As long as downloads are still available, these bands aren't totally dead yet.
    Thankfully so. But then again it'll always depend upon the ones who keep them available, and I'm not too optimistic about the prospect of fine lines to reassessment of value when there's no longer anyone around to champion not only fluctuating concepts/ideas from music history but actual substance in the music itself. For instance, when all the fewer have heard Landberk and dug into their "representation" as somewhat of a cultural anomaly for its time, then where will landing-grounds set the reference straight? It appears to me that Landberk aren't merely forgotten, they were kinda never remembered in the first place. Or, to reformulate; did ignorance ever serve a cause other than nourishing oblivion?

Aarh. Whatever. It's Saturday night, dammit. I'm listening to Cockney Rebel and Hammill solo, which is sufficiently depressing. But now I'll have to hear some Landberk afterwards. Some Ängla too, perhaps.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Don’t quote me, but I think Stefan Dimle was just talking on the Facebook about possible Landberk reissues. Fortunately for me, I’m all set.

I think I have their studio albums on CD somewhere in my crates of money I'll never see again. Sadly, I don't even think I own a CD player anymore (or a radio). For those who stream, Buried Alive is on Amazon Prime Music and it's a decent live recording aside from when someone isn't going, "Yeah," because they know their voice is part of the band.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I too would love vinyl copies of their catalogue. There have been some beautiful collectors vinyl releases of niche artists, it would be wonderful if we could have these brilliant albums out there again.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don’t quote me, but I think Stefan Dimle was just talking on the Facebook about possible Landberk reissues. Fortunately for me, I’m all set.
    Here's hoping. That would be awsome!