Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Änglagård 101

Anglagard? THey are reviled around here.

Not.

^ The good thing about music that you can listen to whatever you want, irrespective of what others may think

Now, on a serious note: Am I the only one who thinks Viljans Öga is a little bit better than Hybris?

Quote Originally Posted by LongFrog View Post
    Now, on a serious note: Am I the only one who thinks Viljans Öga is a little bit better than Hybris?
    Better? That's hard to say...I'm inclined to agree, but they're different enough that it's hard to make that sort of comparison. Each will appeal to different people, I'd guess...

A little too early to say. I'd be inclined to say yes, but I've been with 'Hybris' since 1993. Let's see if the new one has that kind of staying power.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes, I'm such a snob - while you are not when you slag music that you don't like or don't "get". And you are also clearly superior in that you are "more concerned about just hearing great music", which I suppose from your deduction that I am not concerned with. I'm just into music that, uh, "progresses" - which by your estimate should apparently imply that it is not "great music" or "quality". If a band does not do something experimental and new I immediately dislike it - actively and with a vengeance! It's a requirement and it should be so - for EVERYBODY! If it is "great" and has "quality" however, I don't really like it that much. I prefer it if it, y'know - progresses. That's the major dichotomy here - either it is "experimental" and/or "progresses" (which one may or may not like) - or it simply has quality and is great.
    You clearly have stated your dislike of neo-prog, to the point of dismissing it, that is just wrong. I'm not sure what the hell you are trying to say about great vs. quality or whatever. You totally lost me. Re-read your sentences, you might be making some great point, but its a convoluted mess. I wasn't defining what is great music, I just clearly stated that I'm not concerned with how new or experimental something is, that was never my attraction to prog in the first place. I like the epic scope of it all, and music not confined to 3 to 4 minutes, where strong playing is clearly on display. I want ambitious arrangements and musicians paying attention to every detail, without much of the rock and roll attitude nonsense that I find in most mainstream rock and pop. Many sub-genres of prog fit the bill for me, they keep me interested where most mainstream music just bores me. And the music I choose takes many forms, hardly just one or two styles like symphonic or neo. But groundbreaking and envelope pushing? All fine and dandy, but that never defined prog for me, certainly not to the point of being a primary attraction.

^ The good thing about music that you can listen to whatever you want, irrespective of what others may think

And not as good as Epilog. See, I can play this game too! All three are wonderful discs, ranking them doesn't change that. I'll say this, its rather impressive to have material so strong 18 years after their last album. Stunning that they could achieve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    All three are wonderful discs, ranking them doesn't change that. I'll say this, its rather impressive to have material so strong 18 years after their last album. Stunning that they could achieve this.
    Totally agreed. To me they are an object lesson in what happens when talented creative people get together with an ethos of "Quality above all else".
    I must admit I'm keen to hear back from the OP, especially as it's the first time I've heard of anyone coming to Anglagard via Thieves' Kitchen rather than the other way around

I know everyone likes to play the "which is the best?" game, but it wears a bit thin for me after a while. Imagine we were all forced to pick our favourite album of all time, and then all others in our collection were taken away .... all that amazing music we'd never get to hear again ... eeek!

So, hands up anyone willing to give away their copies of any of the three Anglagard studio albums .... Nope? thought not

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I like the one with the Mellotron best...
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by squ1ggle View Post

I know everyone likes to play the "which is the best?" game, but it wears a bit thin for me after a while.
    So, hands up anyone willing to give away their copies of any of the three Anglagard studio albums .... Nope? thought not
    Maybe not "Everyone", but many do seem to like playing the Which-Is-The-Best game, and the Hands-Up-Who-Is-Willing-To-Give-Up-Their-Albums game, and engage in many other displacement activities ... Lord love them

I was just trying to find out whether there is anybody on this forum thread who perchance likes Viljans Öga more than Hybris? And if yes, why, because both albums are of similar quality and style. Both being of course five-star albums.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like both albums a lot, probably Hybris more than Viljans Oga at the moment but that's probably due to familiarity & the fact that Hybris was my first Anglagard album. It'll take at least another 6 to 12 months before my tastes settle.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

ugh! overrated crapola

send them back when they arrive

see my Gnosis ratings
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

No. To me, it goes Epilog, Viljans, then Hybris. And I say this as someone who heard all three very close together.

I think Viljans Öga is notably better than Hybris and Epilog (as amazing as those two are). To my ears the compositions and arrangements are more mature and fully developed on this latest album. And production-wise these albums are almost unparalleled- incredibly dynamic, organic and detailed.
    http://robmartino.com
    Solo Chapman Stick

Needless to say, I'm an avid Änglagard fan. Ranking albums is fun, but misses the point, which is: all three albums are very good. Some think they are truly amazing, other find them too derivative. Personally, I think of Hybris as a collection of odd (but good) musical ideas tied together with used Mellotron tapes. Epilog is a forest of odd (but good) musical ideas, grown in the wild, with mighty trees and fragile branches. Viljans Öga also appears to me very much organically grown - but this time around it's a forest plus a glen plus a stream of purple waters plus scarlet flowers plus glittering stars above plus hidden valleys and mighty mountains that cast flickering shadows in the evening light plus a bunch of Swedish wanderers out there searching for keg of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jutze View Post
    Needless to say, I'm an avid Änglagard fan. Ranking albums is fun, but misses the point, which is: all three albums are very good. Some think they are truly amazing, other find them too derivative. Personally, I think of Hybris as a collection of odd (but good) musical ideas tied together with used Mellotron tapes. Epilog is a forest of odd (but good) musical ideas, grown in the wild, with mighty trees and fragile branches. Viljans Öga also appears to me very much organically grown - but this time around it's a forest plus a glen plus a stream of purple waters plus scarlet flowers plus glittering stars above plus hidden valleys and mighty mountains that cast flickering shadows in the evening light plus a bunch of Swedish wanderers out there searching for keg of beer.
    You've been around Jon Anderson too long (with a bit of Wakey thrown in at the end)...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I rate Viljans below H and E by quite some margin.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I wasn't defining what is great music, I just clearly stated that I'm not concerned with how new or experimental something is, that was never my attraction to prog in the first place. I like the epic scope of it all, and music not confined to 3 to 4 minutes, where strong playing is clearly on display. I want ambitious arrangements and musicians paying attention to every detail, without much of the rock and roll attitude nonsense that I find in most mainstream rock and pop. Many sub-genres of prog fit the bill for me, they keep me interested where most mainstream music just bores me. And the music I choose takes many forms, hardly just one or two styles like symphonic or neo. But groundbreaking and envelope pushing? All fine and dandy, but that never defined prog for me, certainly not to the point of being a primary attraction.
    Oh dear. I was about as intent on making myself "understood" as you obviously are on comprehending - in general. Your claims on other people's alleged "snobbery"? Before stating your very own derogatory judgments on the rock and roll attitude nonsense that [you] find in most mainstream rock and pop - is this for real? And where the hell did you learn about that "prog" of yours being anything other than mainstream? Did it ever occur to you that your "prog" might appear as the other man's "mainstream"? Did you ever wonder why almost all major "prog" musicians of the 70s seem eager to write off the term - or their purpoted allegiance to it? And that "new" or "experimental" are terms denoting nothing but a point beyond your subjective and personal perception - in this case regarding music?

Convoluted mess? Yes, I certainly hope so.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    No. To me, it goes Epilog, Viljans, then Hybris. And I say this as someone who heard all three very close together.
    I got Hybris on the week of release back in '93, but rate the three in the exact same order as yourself. Compositionally, I think Viljans Öga might be their finest effort.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If they come and play at my house, I'll supply the keg of beer.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    My thanks to all thread participants for keeping this thing alive while I was away from PE for Holy Week.

I've heard and read so much positive re: this band that it felt almost obligatory to give them a good listen. No CDs yet (of course), but the comments here have given me a lot of great context from which to listen once they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    For more recent context check out the Anglagard documentary episodes (covering the making of album no. 3) up on Youtube.
    I'll definitely do that, CB.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I ... think that Hybris has more of a "greatest hits of prog" sense to it ...
    Of course, this could be said about many great prog bands (and some not-so-great ones as well, for that matter) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    Their method of composition is very linear.
    I've noticed a lot of this with Opeth as well - a lot of non-traditional (and frequently linear) song structure.

Quote Originally Posted by squ1ggle View Post
    ... it's the first time I've heard of anyone coming to Anglagard via Thieves' Kitchen rather than the other way around
    It was one of several considerations for me, but I've been a fan of "The Water Road" and "Shibboleth" since "Road" was released to much acclaim around PE parts.

Personally, I think of Hybris as a collection of odd (but good) musical ideas tied together with used Mellotron tapes. Epilog is a forest of odd (but good) musical ideas, grown in the wild, with mighty trees and fragile branches. Viljans Öga also appears to me very much organically grown - but this time around it's a forest plus a glen plus a stream of purple waters plus scarlet flowers plus glittering stars above plus hidden valleys and mighty mountains that cast flickering shadows in the evening light plus a bunch of Swedish wanderers out there searching for keg of beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    You've been around Jon Anderson too long (with a bit of Wakey thrown in at the end)...
    LOL x2.

Will update with my initial impressions once my discs have arrived and I've had a chance to give them some quality listening time.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Discs arrived today - great timing, since I have two weeks of vacation time coming up (beginning on 04/20), which will give me time to knock out several projects - one of which is to give some serious time and attention to this body of work.

chalkpie
    Since there is no thread on the newest album here (that is fuckin' bizarre and strange), and I'm too lazy to start one, this will do.

The new one is starting to blossom for me - I've been spinning it a bunch of times. These compositions demonstrate a bunch of textures of a very organic nature without resorting to sound effects/processors/etc...I dig how it is accomplished the olde way. I do like the occasional moments of weird shit this time around, and the addition of instrumental color. These pieces are also very contrapuntal, as what seems like a unison lead melody line is underscored with a melodic bass line that is a counter-subject in itself...but then the keyboard may be "riffing" on some trance-like figure in an opposing time signature. Go you crazy Swedes. And to this oblivious yank, the Scandinavian vibe is still there as it was with the first two. Or maybe its just the table from IKEA that this computer is resting on? Great soaring melodies too. Gun to my head, I'd still pick "Epilog" as the masterpiece, but this album is no slouch and may be more advanced in almost every aspect. Great shite mates!

To me, the latest may be more compositionally advanced, and it is very good, but Epilog is their most dynamic and striking effort. Hybris is also quite good, and I get why some people rate this as their favourite.

Bottom line is that they are all awesome, and I hope that you enjoy the musical journey to come!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by ProgPariah77 View Post
    Discs arrived today - great timing, since I have two weeks of vacation time coming up (beginning on 04/20), which will give me time to knock out several projects - one of which is to give some serious time and attention to this body of work.
    Be sure to check out some of Mattias Olsson's other projects as well, veering from folky pop through post-krautrock to symph progressive.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What do they have to do with Thieves' Kitchen?
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Thomas Johnson of Anglagard is also the keyboard player in Thieves' Kitchen, and Anna H. (who I'm sure is reading this) also plays flute on the new TK album.

These 2 bands have obviously become friends.
    Is there any similarity to the music of Änglagård and Thieves Kitchen? I may be totally wrong, but for some reason I always thought Thieves Kitchen was at least initially a neo-prog band, but I'm not that familiar with them.