Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music meant for others

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Some famous and not-so-famous songs were originally intended for one particular artist who never actually ended up recording the songs anyway. Off the top of my head I can think of...

-Bowie's "Golden Years" was apparently written for Elvis Presley.
    -I recall reading that Stevie Nicks' "Stand Back" was intended for Rod Stewart.
    -The Simple Minds hit "Don't You Forget About Me" was first offered to Billy Idol.
    -I know "Mutt" Lange produced the Loverboy song "Lovin' Every Minute Of It" but I think it was first offered to Def Leppard.
    -Michael Jackson was going to work with The Neptunes for his "comeback" album about ten years ago. For whatever reason it didn't happen but The Neptunes already made music for the album. When Justin Timberlake wanted to work with The Neptunes for his first solo album, they just used the music they originally made for the would-be MJ album.

Any more examples?
    Actually, "Mutt" only wrote Loving Every Minute Of It, Tom Allom produced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebigdipper View Post
    Stevie Wonder wrote Superstition for Jeff Beck as a thank you for playing on a previous album. The record company insisted he recorded and released it himself. So, he gave him 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers instead....

N
    Didn't Beck, Bogart, and Appice do a version of Superstition?

Banned
    According to Phil Collen on Classic Albums:Hysteria, "Mutt" Lange had written Love Bites as a country song for Don Henley to sing.

Drive in Saturday was offered to Mott but they felt it was too complicated. They chose All the Young Dudes instead !

Dickey Betts Ramblin Man originally was going to be given away to country music land, but the ABB ended up recording it and had their biggest hit
    with it, my least favorite song of theirs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Drive in Saturday was offered to Mott but they felt it was too complicated. They chose All the Young Dudes instead !
    Actually, Mott was offered Suffragette City first, but they rejected that. Then, they asked for Drive In Saturday, but Bowie said no. I wonder if his reasoning was that he was saving it for his next album, so he didn't want a competing version by Mott.