Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2023

MLB 2023

Six weeks until pitchers and catchers report!

Any crazy predictions out there?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    $500 million Mets payroll for 2023 by year end
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Boston agreed to a massive 11-year, $331 million contract with third baseman Rafael Devers on Wednesday.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    Devers is 6th in WAR amongst active 3B since 2018 but that salary places him above (compensation wise) everyone in front of him.

How much of this is a need to do "something" vs an actual need?

The Cubs have made some interesting moves in the off-season, but as long as Marquee isn't speaking to Hulu and MLB Network continues to give it to my state in the shorts, I won't be watching many games. The only prediction I care to make is that my interest in MLB will continue to wane.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Devers is 6th in WAR amongst active 3B since 2018 but that salary places him above (compensation wise) everyone in front of him.

How much of this is a need to do "something" vs an actual need?
    They need fans in the seats. And they've pissed off a whole lot of them this off-season.

The eons are closing
    Joon Lee on ESPN said that this signing needed to happen because the draft picks for Mookie have not panned out and letting Xavier walk for nada (and just a tad more $ really).

Yes Xavier is older (30) so the backend dollars would be "even more wasted" so perhaps Devers is a better candidate for a long term deal like this....

But I concur - if Devers was not extended - riots in the streets....

Hilarious.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    Don't bother me or any other Mets fan I know. Not interested in damaged goods at exorbitant prices

This could usher in a new era of injury clauses in contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Don't bother me or any other Mets fan I know. Not interested in damaged goods at exorbitant prices
    I hear there's a Speaker job available...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    This could usher in a new era of injury clauses in contracts.
    It should just usher in a new era of GMs being more careful when handing out and announcing new contracts.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It should just usher in a new era of GMs being more careful when handing out and announcing new contracts.
    That, too. But something like that will require a certain amount of ... collusion. Because, it will only take one GM to make it not work.

Dodgers designate Bauer for assignment

Saw that coming. Maybe he can form a league with Aroldis Chapman.

Dodgers designate Bauer for assignment

Saw that coming. Maybe he can form a league with Aroldis Chapman.
    Not the League of Gentlemen?

"The trend of the rich getting richer is nothing new to MLB. What is new is how Atlanta is distributing its dollars, by investing relatively little in other teams’ best players, and a lot in its own. Another front office might have adopted this team-building strategy before, if it found the perfect confluence of homegrown talent and an unwillingness among those players to test free agency. Perhaps the Braves were simply the first to arrive at a well-charted location."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ll/ar-AA15KJ4w

The article asks the question: Is the Braves' strategy good for baseball? As much as I like Dansby Swanson and wanted him to remain in Atlanta, paying $25 million for a shortstop in his mid-30s (Swanson's contract with the Cubs takes him through his age-35 season) didn't feel like a good move.

Only time will tell, I suppose, but at least the Braves have a plan and it seems to be working. For now.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The eons are closing

^^ Twins are crazy, IMNSHO.

Correa went from $26.9MM per year for 13 years, to $26.3MM per year for 12 years to $33.3MM per year for 6 years. Then the Twins have 4 try before they buy years after the original 6 seasons. All crazy numbers in each case. He's not a franchise player and already knows the IL well. The Giants and the Mets dodged the bullet given the length of the contracts, even if his medical was perfect. Good luck to Correa and the Twins.

Someone suggested that Correa's walk-up song should be Olivia Newton-John's "Physical."

R.I.P. Sal Bando, captain of the three-peat Oakland A's.

R.I.P. Sal Bando, captain of the three-peat Oakland A's.
    RIP, to the leader of an entertaining band of miscreants and showoffs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The 2022 MLB thread is more active that this one.

The eons are closing
    If Rolen is on for mainly his defence and base running under the modern advanced metrics argument - then the contemporary committee has a lot of fucking work to do to correct some shit