Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VDGG: Interference Patterns - 14 disc box The Recordings 2005-2016 out Sep 23

VDGG: Interference Patterns - 14 disc box The Recordings 2005-2016 out Sep 23

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/van-...et-out-23-sep/

Man, I've already got all this stuff... almost. And now that collector itch is twitching....
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thanks for posting. I only have Trisector from this period so it’s an auto buy to add to the big box. Ohhhhh…..another Fondle In My Future!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Thanks for posting. I only have Trisector from this period so it’s an auto buy to add to the big box. Ohhhhh…..another Fondle In My Future!
    Perfect for you in that case. And you get the book too. I also happen to think Do Not Disturb is the best thing they've done post-70s breakup, so you're in for a treat there too (if you haven't heard it already).

It's kind of like a sequel to the Charisma Years box.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Only two discs of live stuff i do not already own yet. I think I'll pass.

On the other hand... it's VDGG....

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Thankfully I have most if not all of this (And certainly all I do want), so this is a pass for me.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Well, you got their best studio album of the XXIst C... Doesn't mean that the rest isn't worthy, though.
    I'd go for it in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Only two discs of live stuff i do not already own yet. I think I'll pass.

On the other hand... it's VDGG....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Thankfully I have most if not all of this (And certainly all I do want), so this is a pass for me.
    Yup, I spotted disc 5 that I don't have... Abd they didn't even include the three DVD (which I have anyways)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I already have everything but it looks like a nice package. Time flies!
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

I have it all already. It's a pass for me

If you’re unfamiliar with this period of the band, grab this. But I’ll pass (with just more than a little hesitation).

And, yes, Do Not Disturb is great. It’s in my top three VdGG albums.

One more thought: why not include “Lemmings” from the Evans/PH Union Chapel concert?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Luckily they didn't have 5.1 added, because I own it all already

It is interesting that everyone seems to have different favourite when it comes to "recent" VdGG studioalbums. For me the best one is easily A Grounding in Numbers.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    It is interesting that everyone seems to have different favourite when it comes to "recent" VdGG studioalbums. For me the best one is easily A Grounding in Numbers.
    Mine too, with Trisector coming close at the second place.

Mine three.

Since I never purchased any of the 3rd act VDGG albums, this set should probably be a must for me.

There was a time when I might have bought this just to get the individual albums off the shelf and clear up some space, but this is no longer that time. Turns out that, if you carefully evaluate the maths, six inches of shelf space is cheaper than a 14-disc box set. I hope it encourages a few people to check out this period of Van der Graaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Mine too, with Trisector coming close at the second place.
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Mine three.
    Yes, they all have their moments (although I don't expect many would choose Alt or disc 2 of Present as their favourite), but I really think Do Not Disturb is the crown jewel of the VDGG2K period.

Did my usual price comparison today.

Amazon - $136.00 USD
    Burning Shed - $115.66 USD
    Import CD - $85.22 USD shipped to my door in WA state (sales tax included) Get 5% off using IMPORTFIVE

That's almost $50.00 OFF!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

What is it about the Japanese music market that album buyers there often get offered more than their EU/US counterparts? I very much doubt that there are more VDGG fans in Japan than in a combined EU/US market. So why were there four extra tracks on the Japanese pressing of Real Time than were available in the US/EU (Real Time: Royal Festival Hall – Disc Three Previously unreleased outside of Japan)?

Surely a Japanese VDGG fan would have bought Real Time without the four extra tracks. And why is it that the record companies think a VDGG fan in the US or EU would not want to hear those tracks without re-buying a Japanese copy of the album? This is not just an issue for this particular boxset. I often see albums that originate in Europe or the US being sold in Japan with extra tracks. And I often see CDs of western musicians on sale in Japan although they are unavailable here.

This cannot be down to the size of the market. The population of Japan is 125m, while the US has 329m residents and the EU 746m – more than one billion people combined (but not all of them VDGG fans I hasten to add ). This question has been raised before on this platform but I cannot find the answer so I thought I would ask it again. It is not a swipe at the Japanese; there must be some logical explanation – it’s just that I cannot see it.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

I understand that the prices of albums are amazingly high in their japanese domestic market (really much more than the Big Mac index , really), so the labels offer more stuff than on the rest of the planet to make up for it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I understand that the prices of albums are amazingly high in their japanese domestic market (really much more than the Big Mac index , really), so the labels offer more stuff than on the rest of the planet to make up for it.
    Thanks. That makes sense and also helps explain why albums by often-obscure western artists are on sale in Japan but not here - the niche market is not necessarily bigger, it is just more lucrative per unit sold. It also gets me wondering if the profits from the amazingly high prices for Japanese albums are passed on to the artists.
    Last edited by Munster; 08-21-2022 at 06:36 AM.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not to "make up for it" so much as to give the locals a reason to buy the Japanese product and not cheaper imports.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Did my usual price comparison today.

Amazon - $136.00 USD
    Burning Shed - $115.66 USD
    Import CD - $85.22 USD shipped to my door in WA state (sales tax included) Get 5% off using IMPORTFIVE

That's almost $50.00 OFF!
    I appreciate the information. I originally was going to pass but for just $83.08 total I bought from Import CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    What is it about the Japanese music market that album buyers there often get offered more than their EU/US counterparts? I very much doubt that there are more VDGG fans in Japan than in a combined EU/US market. So why were there four extra tracks on the Japanese pressing of Real Time than were available in the US/EU (Real Time: Royal Festival Hall – Disc Three Previously unreleased outside of Japan)?
    I believe the tradition of extra tracks on Japanese releases goes back a long way - they never had a singles market there, and so when US or Euopean albums were released in Japan they generally added the singles tracks to the Japanese edition as otherwise they'd never have heard those tracks.

However, there is a good explanation of this phenomena here:https://loudwire.com/why-japanese-bo...ist-explained/
    Last edited by alanterrill; 08-22-2022 at 05:06 AM.

Banned
    I can't justify buying this to obtain the Japanese Real Time bonus tracks. As a long-time VDGG fan and collector, it makes me wonder if there's much of a market for this particular set.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    I can't justify buying this to obtain the Japanese Real Time bonus tracks. As a long-time VDGG fan and collector, it makes me wonder if there's much of a market for this particular set.
    I've bought box sets of bands where I might own an album or two and took the plunge on a big box. There's nothing new here for VdGG veterans, but there's a lot here (in one convenient location) for new fans or somewhat casual fans. I think some of the releases here might be difficult to tack down, too. I just did a quick Amazon search for Trisector, and new copies are tough to come by.

Even if I'm not interested in buying this, I'm glad the band/label put it together. There are artists in my collection that I wish had curated sets, even if I may already own everything. Captain Beefheart is an example of an artist whose catalogue is all-over the place. Multiple labels. OOP releases. Sketchy bootleg live albums. A big Beefheart box would be nice. (And, yes, not quite an apples to apples comparison with VdGG's 21st century catalog, but hopefully the analogy makes sense.)

Those four Japan-only tracks must be available for download somewhere, right?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.