Thread: Steve Rothery - The Ghosts Of Pripyat

Steve Rothery - The Ghosts Of Pripyat

cover.jpg
    🇬🇧, 2014.
    Some of the guests are Steve(n lol) Wilson and Steve Hackett for the beautiful epic #3 Old Man Of The Sea and Steve hackett for Morpheus opening track. There had times SHa invited him to his concerts as a guest player too. Steve and fans' dream fulfillment was achieved in this very 2014 year. Marillion's founder created this instrumental gem, but don't expect any Marillion wink here. The whole album is a shiny set of clean compositions, revealing a seemingly great instrumental band debut album, with some Opeth reminiscence here and there and amazing SH magical playing, gradually shaking the buildings out the snow.

On the Rush forum someone voted for this for one of the albums for their top 250 prog albums list a few years ago. I kind of doubt it's that good but who knows. I own it but haven't listened to it yet (the problem with owning tons of cds).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 06-28-2022 at 10:02 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's a good album, but sadly for me, nothing Rothery's done apart from Marillion has ever really risen to the level of what he's done with Marillion (which is stellar, IMO). But, it has some excellent tracks. I've also seen him perform the full album once or twice (I honestly can't remember if it was once or twice!). Once for sure was on Cruise to the Edge. Also, he recently released a Blu-Ray with two concerts (one previously released in a more raw format), and on that some of the music from this album comes to life a bit more.

"White Pass" is my favorite track on the album. Digital_Man, you SHOULD listen to the album. It IS worth listening, I don't want to steer you away. Also, Naytheet, nice to see a thread about the album!

I think it is a very good album with an interesting concept and excellent playing as you would expect, with some pretty heavy riffs there, as you might not expect. As has been said, it does not hit the Marillion heights in terms of those “Rothery moments”, but it is certainly worth getting if you are a fan of the man and his work with the parent band. I, for one, would love to hear more solo stuff from him.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    I, for one, would love to hear more solo stuff from him.
    He has another album in progress called Revontulet. No ETA for the final product yet.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    I think it is a very good album with an interesting concept and excellent playing as you would expect, with some pretty heavy riffs there, as you might not expect. As has been said, it does not hit the Marillion heights in terms of those “Rothery moments”, but it is certainly worth getting if you are a fan of the man and his work with the parent band. I, for one, would love to hear more solo stuff from him.
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe the way Marillion songs are built is more conducive to creating climatic "Rothery moments". Anyway, more music from Steve is always welcome.

Absolutely love this album. Might not have what people typically expect from the man, but it's chock-full of great "Rothery moments," IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Off to Montreal for the Marillion weekend starting tomorrow!!
    Not sure what kind of sets the band has in mind for the final Marillion weekend of 2022 but I'm hoping to hear something from the new album.
    In past weekends, they have dedicated an evening playing a classic album in full and another evening of "inventive" chronological song sets. But I am excited no matter what, hope to see some of you there in Montreal!

I imagine they'll be playing the whole new album in full.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I imagine they'll be playing the whole new album in full.
    I sure hope you are right, are you going?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Unfortunately, no. One day, hopefully.

I finally located my cd copy of this so I will post my opinion after I have a good listen of it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    They did at all the other weekends, so...

Ok. Here we go. I first tried listening to this while lying down and wound up falling asleep maybe 75 percent though (not because it was boring but but because I was lying down and probably a bit tired).

I just got done listening to it a second time (all the way through this time) and I think it's a very strong release. It's obviously very different than anything he's done in Marillion and I think it's safe to say that was intentional. Do I think it deserves to be on that top 250 prog list? To be honest, no I don't. Not that it isn't good. In fact, I would say it's probably one of the better instrumental prog albums I've heard (especially out of modern releases). However, there's just so much out there that the competition would ultimately render it very good (even great) but not quite must have classic. The guy who added it to that list probably hasn't heard that many prog albums. Also, I think there's parts that sound a bit like Pat Metheny. A lot of times instrumental albums are nothing more than decent background music. That's definitely not the case here. This one makes you sit up and listen for the entire 55 minutes which is something many vocal prog albums struggle with. A very well done album and one I'll definitely revisit.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Ok. Here we go. I first tried listening to this while lying down and wound up falling asleep maybe 75 percent though (not because it was boring but but because I was lying down and probably a bit tired).

I just got done listening to it a second time (all the way through this time) and I think it's a very strong release. It's obviously very different than anything he's done in Marillion and I think it's safe to say that was intentional. Do I think it deserves to be on that top 250 prog list? To be honest, no I don't. Not that it isn't good. In fact, I would say it's probably one of the better instrumental prog albums I've heard (especially out of modern releases). However, there's just so much out there that the competition would ultimately render it very good (even great) but not quite must have classic. The guy who added it to that list probably hasn't heard that many prog albums. Also, I think there's parts that sound a bit like Pat Metheny. A lot of times instrumental albums are nothing more than decent background music. That's definitely not the case here. This one makes you sit up and listen for the entire 55 minutes which is something many vocal prog albums struggle with. A very well done album and one I'll definitely revisit.
    Thanks for the balanced review! I bought it - cancelled it - and bought it again.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thanks for the balanced review! I bought it - cancelled it - and bought it again.
    Thanks. The fact that it's so different from Marillion kind of reminds me of how the Andy Summers solo albums (or at least the one I have- synaesthesia) and the two Summers/Fripp albums are so different from what he did with the Police. I like it when artists stretch out (possibly beyond their comfort zones).

When did you buy it again? Just recently?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Thanks. The fact that it's so different from Marillion kind of reminds me of how the Andy Summers solo albums (or at least the one I have- synaesthesia) and the two Summers/Fripp albums are so different from what he did with the Police. I like it when artists stretch out (possibly beyond their comfort zones).

When did you buy it again? Just recently?
    Yes!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I would think it would be a welcome addition for any Marillion fan.

I didn't enjoy it as much as most of any Marillion album in their discography, but I guess that's a logical fact he didn't make it an awesome album since it's is first stuff after having played for so long with his very band.

Quote Originally Posted by Naytheet View Post
    I didn't enjoy it as much as most of any Marillion album in their discography, but I guess that's a logical fact he didn't make it an awesome album since it's is first stuff after having played for so long with his very band.
    There are also the two The Wishing Tree albums, but those of course aren't as recent (and not favorites of mine either).