Thread: Gordon Grdina's Nomad Trio/Harriet Tubman-live show

Gordon Grdina's Nomad Trio/Harriet Tubman-live show

Hey all, happy sunday...

Had the great fortune of seeing Gordon Grdina's Nomad Trio last night. Wonderful set of a fusion of Tim Berne-like musical adventures with a large dose of Middle Eastern melodies thanks to the Oud's heavy presence. Excellent stuff! Gordon, who I never heard before is a fantastic guitarist with a full, meaty sound that spends a lot of time on "the low notes" to drive the music forward (until he lets loose and solo's with the white hot intensity of a Bob Fripp circa "Sailors Tale" period). His Oud playing was a very cool addition hurtling the (too short) set into unexpected directions.

Initially, drummer Jim Black was the big draw for me who was incredibly powerful, loose and in the pocket all at the same time. He is no stranger to playing in ensembles that have a "Middle Eastern flare"...anyone remember Pachora? Matt Mitchell on piano rounded out the trio adding an additional layer of top end madness to this incendiary trio. While mostly staying in "manic mode" he did occasionally bring it down a few thousand notches with some beautiful (improved?) introductions. If you can catch them in your part of the world, do so!!!

Harriet Tubman was the evenings headliner and, like their Big Ears set I left the show with somewhat mixed feelings. The sound at Constellation (the venue in Chicago where this was happening) was excellent and that made a big difference in things. I don't know if it was a function of that horrible venue they played at BE's or a live sound guy who didn't have a clue but, at least tonight there were none of those overdriven standing bass waves smothering everything within sight. Melvin Gibb's playing was still loud, intense and at times fuzz heavy but at least it didn't obliterate Brandon Ross's guitar playing. The mix last night was pretty much perfect. As far as the music...well, I still think that their "tunes" meandered a little too much without a hint of direction or resolution...at times, just ending and me thinking to myself..."well, ok...is that it?"

But, on the other hand, because of the much improved sound I was able to better appreciate their overall spiritual power Jazz trio vibe that was smashed down into a muddy mess at Big Ears. I love Brandon Ross's playing and last night I finally got to actually hear him. He was playing some truly beautiful melodies. Gibb's bass playing was devastating (as expected) but he pulled out some great solo's using a lot of chording and double stops along the way. J.T. Lewis is a no-nonsense drummer but very tasteful in context of the music. I guess it's only fair to say that after seeing Jim Black's octopus-like display, a mainly "in the pocket" type drummer would seem "no nonsense". Regardless, he held it down quite well!

So, another great night of music in Chicago!!!

best
    Michael
    Last edited by neuroticdog; 06-26-2022 at 02:36 PM.
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I've been a big Grdina fan for many years (first saw him in 2008) but he's gotten too prolific for me to keep up with in recent years. By my count he has released 20 albums since 2017. His Nomad Trio will be here on Saturday but I think I might go see Allison Miller's Boom Tic Boom (with Myra Melford) instead. I've seen Grdina more times than I can remember, including four times since 2019 alone.

Here is an expanded write up on the show last weekend: https://avantmusicnews.com/2022/06/2...icago-june-25/

best
    Michael

p.s. Brad, if you enjoy the music, isn't "too Prolific" a good thing? Regardless, totally understand opting out if you've seen him as many times as you have...especially for Myra Melford! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    if you enjoy the music, isn't "too Prolific" a good thing?
    Sure, 'more is better' in principle, but total available listening hours are fixed and don't increase with the size of one's collection. So when he keeps pumping out 3 or 4 new albums every year it just means each one isn't getting enough spins to really absorb.

For the explosive free jazz aspect of his playing, look for the two Box Cutter albums or "Barrel Fire" (Trio + Mats Gustafsson). For more oud check out Haram (tentet+) or the Marrow (quartet), each project with two albums. And funny that you mentioned Tim Berne since he recently released a solo album of Berne compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    Sure, 'more is better' in principle, but total available listening hours are fixed and don't increase with the size of one's collection. So when he keeps pumping out 3 or 4 new albums every year it just means each one isn't getting enough spins to really absorb.
    ...don't buy this argument, what you are saying is completely "choice based". You choose not to listen to it because you have too many other things to listen to and there isn't enough time in the day. This is completely your choice, while others may listen to nothing BUT a specific release regardless of the size of their collection. I consider myself living proof of this...I have a pretty big music collection but if I want to absorb something, I have no problem giving it the time it deserves.

...anyway, this is kind of stupid...whats more important is this......

For the explosive free jazz aspect of his playing, look for the two Box Cutter albums or "Barrel Fire" (Trio + Mats Gustafsson). For more oud check out Haram (tentet+) or the Marrow (quartet), each project with two albums. And funny that you mentioned Tim Berne since he recently released a solo album of Berne compositions.
    ...appreciate you giving me these recs! I plan on picking up his latest Nomad Trio record called Boiling Point as well as the Tim Berne thing that he did...AND, the Haram and Marrow releases you highlight.

Speaking of Berne, one of the first things I noticed during the live show was that many of his pieces were constructed like a Berne piece. By that I mean angular, spikey and improved beginning that gradually morphs in volume, intensity, and complexity until he reaches the point of those patented Berne unison lines that go on forever before resolving and are extremely driving and grooving.

This trio (both Mitchell and Black have a lot of experience playing with Berne) can achieve this level of playing with their eyes closed, and it's definitely spellbinding!

best
    Michael

I ended up getting a double dose of Grdina last night after all. Travel delays caused the Francois Houle Quartet (with Grdina, Mark Helias, and Gerry Hemingway) to start about 75 minutes late, thus overlapping with the start of the Allison Miller/Myra Melford concert. So I just stayed at the smaller stage for Nomad Trio afterwards. Bought his two latest CDs and found about about one he did with Petr Cancura a couple years ago which had completely escaped my radar previously. (I saw the band in concert in 2018, didn't know that they subsequently recorded an album.)

It isn't every day you get to see Hemingway and Jim Black back-to-back!

I ended up getting a double dose of Grdina last night after all. Travel delays caused the Francois Houle Quartet (with Grdina, Mark Helias, and Gerry Hemingway) to start about 75 minutes late, thus overlapping with the start of the Allison Miller/Myra Melford concert. So I just stayed at the smaller stage for Nomad Trio afterwards. Bought his two latest CDs and found about about one he did with Petr Cancura a couple years ago which had completely escaped my radar previously. (I saw the band in concert in 2018, didn't know that they subsequently recorded an album.)

It isn't every day you get to see Hemingway and Jim Black back-to-back!
    wow...no, it isn't, must have been a drummers wet dream!!! I'm really diggin his latest- Boiling Point, if you are even a casual fan of Tim Berne I can recommend this album as the songs share a structural similarity with, (of course) guitar replacing sax.

BTW, I've heard sporadic Francois Houle over the years, but mostly in a "new music" or even an "electro-acoustic" setting but never in a Jazz format. He always struck me as a technically brilliant player, perhaps in the vein of a Vinny Golia. That quartet must have been a nice show.

best
    Michael

I have some albums by Gordon Grdina (not many) but my favorite is clean electric guitar:

https://songlines.com/release/think-like-the-waves/

Very tasteful jazz with Paul Motian and Gary Peacock, and it sounds great too.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    BTW, I've heard sporadic Francois Houle over the years, but mostly in a "new music" or even an "electro-acoustic" setting but never in a Jazz format.
    I direct you again to Box Cutter (guitar, clarinet, bass, drums). Or you an hear 3/4s of the band (minus the bass player) on this digital-only release: