Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: PT/C/C

I like it!

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I honestly lost interest in PT once the metal came in. That said, my current mood is leading me to revisit the band. My favorites are still 'Signify' and 'Lightbulb Sun'.

I'm having a tough time finding this for a reasonable price. I'm looking for a cd copy.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I honestly lost interest in PT once the metal came in. That said, my current mood is leading me to revisit the band. My favorites are still 'Signify' and 'Lightbulb Sun'.

I'm right there with you more or less. I really like In Absentia but they kind of lost me after that. Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are probably my two favorites.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I could have written that.

OK, this is pretty cool...

There is not much metal on new album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

To see them on a purely metal label as Music For Nations looks perfectly normal.

I personally exited when the indie/alternative stuff crept in. Signify is the last I own from them...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I pre-ordered from LaserCD and got it close to release day. I believe he received a shipment and sent them out, but is awaiting more. That's why I preorder for major releases like that.
    I pre-ordered my deluxe set from LaserCD on Nov. 3, 2021. Still waiting . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    There is not much metal on new album.
    Agree, it gets heavy here and there, but I would not call this a metal album at all.

Hi Team.
    my thoughts on the album.
    I am REALLY enjoying it. Took a few listens to saturate. But now I love it and include the bonus tracks.
    My first reaction is that it sounds much like a new SW album. Albeit a SW album I would love. The sound feels like another right turn he would make right after the Future B approach, to change it back up. Back to rocking. So I do feel it more of the SW sound than the PT classic sound. Maybe its bass and guitar are so SW solo sounding, not sure.

With that said, I think the entire album is really good. every song is strong to me. I love the heavy songs and the riffs that do reach to the PT feel, and I love the gentle moments that reach to the SW feel. Gavin is excellent as usual. Rich not too apparent to me, but still dig what he adds. The thing I noticed is that every song is good, maybe with no songs really reaching heights of the key songs on the classic albums...I find that I can listen to this entire album and enjoy it. So it doesn't have the PEAKS that the best albums may have, but it also doesn't have the VALLEYS that they have either. I find that all PT albums I usually love 4-5 tracks and then skip others. the 4-5 I love are brilliant(to me), and the others may drag(to me). This one all of the songs are appealing.

I am glad they did this. I am glad its much better than I had expected. I am glad I look forward to listening to it daily. there are no SOUND OF MUSAK's or TRAINS or ARRIVING's...but the whole is solid and I dig it.

BTW, as a disclaminer, I am more of a fan of SW solo, although I began with PT his run of great great albums won me over to his solo albums. I love them. So this one as a PT album really scores for me.

peace to all. hope your part of the planet is doing ok. I know the world is a mess right now.

Regarding the cover's similarity with Bowie's The Next Day:
    I think this might be the latest in a stream of Wilson homages to Bowie covers - the cover for To The Bone appeared to my eyes to be hugely influenced by Aladdin Sane (especially when considering the paint splattered variations which appeared for single releases) and then the red capital font used for The Future Bites seemed to be straight from Station to Station. Could be coincidence - I haven't purposely looked for other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    I pre-ordered my deluxe set from LaserCD on Nov. 3, 2021. Still waiting . . . .
    Mine was the standard version. I think I heard that the deluxe version has been pushed back to August.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Regarding the cover's similarity with Bowie's The Next Day:
    I think this might be the latest in a stream of Wilson homages to Bowie covers - the cover for To The Bone appeared to my eyes to be hugely influenced by Aladdin Sane (especially when considering the paint splattered variations which appeared for single releases) and then the red capital font used for The Future Bites seemed to be straight from Station to Station. Could be coincidence - I haven't purposely looked for other examples.
    You may have something in that observation. Isn’t his dog called Bowie too?

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Mine was the standard version. I think I heard that the deluxe version has been pushed back to August.
    Not really. I ordered mine (deluxe version) at the official site in November and got it a couple of days ago. Would have received it sooner if not for customs clearance on the way from London to Belgium.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I received my Deluxe Edition of the PT Box today. I'm listening now and my first impression is that I love it. The signature PT sound stands out. I love Steven Wilson's vocals, the drumming is excellent and Richard's contribution is evident. I may posts more thoughts later.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I like every track on the album and I'm still looking forward to the next listen to discover more about the music, many of the lyrics really connect with me too, here are the ones I really love - which turns out to be most of the album...

Chimera's Wreck
    Love In The Past Tense
    Of The New Day
    Dignity
    Rats Return
    Walk The Plank
    Never Have

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    To see them on a purely metal label as Music For Nations looks perfectly normal.

I personally exited when the indie/alternative stuff crept in. Signify is the last I own from them...
    Looking back, it could have just been my personal mindset at the time. When I heard FOABP and heard the heavier, more metal parts it just left me with a sort of eye-rolling "Well, of course they do this now" kind of feeling.

That said, I revisited that album earlier today and, I must say it's nowhere NEAR as "metal" as I seemed to remember it and I ended up enjoying it very much. I listened to a chunk of the newest one on YT and now cannot wait to get a CD of that.

Funny sometimes how time changes things.

Looking back, it could have just been my personal mindset at the time. When I heard FOABP and heard the heavier, more metal parts it just left me with a sort of eye-rolling "Well, of course they do this now" kind of feeling.

That said, I revisited that album earlier today and, I must say it's nowhere NEAR as "metal" as I seemed to remember it and I ended up enjoying it very much. I listened to a chunk of the newest one on YT and now cannot wait to get a CD of that.

Funny sometimes how time changes things.
    While I didn't get off the PT boat, there was definitely a feeling in the late 00s that they were going with the trend for prog with heavy riffs that seemed to be going on then.
    I was annoyed by this although I still found much to love on every album of theirs.

For some reason, the sound that was starting to bore me then is exactly what I wanted to hear again on the new one. So a long absence definitely changes our perspective.

On about my 10th listen now...really loving it! First couple of listens didn't grab me but gradually it all started to click...with the exception of Love in the Past Tense, which for whatever reason is not doing it for me yet. As others have said, I really like the clearly defined creative contributions of each player...but it's Barbieri's work that I'm probably enjoying the most, especially those little ambient pieces at the start of Dignity and end of Herd Culling. As Steve983 said above, the lyrics are really hitting home on this one too. Current faves: Dignity, Herd Culling and Chimera's Wreck.

Count me down as one of the rare fans who likes the album art as well!

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    While I didn't get off the PT boat, there was definitely a feeling in the late 00s that they were going with the trend for prog with heavy riffs that seemed to be going on then.
    I think that was my main gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by indie/alternative, but if you liked Signify, I think you'd also really like Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun (and the related album Recordings).

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by indie/alternative, but if you liked Signify, I think you'd also really like Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun (and the related album Recordings).
    I love all of these.

I just put in an order for C/C on ebay. 20 dollars! Oh well, I suppose it could be worse and considering this is shipping from the UK I suppose that's actually not too bad.

Gavin seems to have added his talents to old songs by The Pineapple Thief. Added a whole new dimension to them. Anyone heard them yet ?.....