Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: PT/C/C

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I bet many artists who were active during CD's heyday are glad for the vinyl revival. That way no one will question a release being only 48min, when that will fit perfectly on one LP.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I bet many artists who were active during CD's heyday are glad for the vinyl revival. That way no one will question a release being only 48min, when that will fit perfectly on one LP.
    Except they're releasing it as a double LP!
    That's one thing I find ridiculous, no-one was bothered by LP sides being 20-25 minutes long in the golden age of LPs but now they need to be around 15 minutes or people complain about the loss of audio fidelity.

Apparently no distributor/retailer in the US has received their physical product. I contacted LaserCD on Saturday to check on my order and this was the reply:

Sony has not received inventory yet. They have completely screwed this up.
    No retailer has seen copies yet.
    Ken Golden

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Except they're releasing it as a double LP!
    That's one thing I find ridiculous, no-one was bothered by LP sides being 20-25 minutes long in the golden age of LPs but now they need to be around 15 minutes or people complain about the loss of audio fidelity.
    Maybe they have a 45rpm super-dee-duper audiophile option. Several years ago XTC had a double LP reissue of Skylarking that was 45rpm. Maybe somebody could explain why one might want a 45rpm edition, unless it's just for the exercise. Or could be in keeping with Wilson's habit of releasing special editions (with extra tracks) within months of a standard release.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The only time I saw PT live was at Progscape in Baltimore in '94 or '95; does anyone know who the personnel would have been for the show? I somehow would have thought Barbieri wouldn't have been there, but maybe?

Also, I THINK I saw Barbieri "solo" open for Marillion once, probably in NYC. Can anyone confirm/deny this? As I recall, it wasn't my thing, really.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The only time I saw PT live was at Progscape in Baltimore in '94 or '95; does anyone know who the personnel would have been for the show? I somehow would have thought Barbieri wouldn't have been there, but maybe?

Also, I THINK I saw Barbieri "solo" open for Marillion once, probably in NYC. Can anyone confirm/deny this? As I recall, it wasn't my thing, really.
    Was this it?

Not sure about the Marillion gig, but that would make sense given h's connection with Barbieri.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I saw Barbieri open for Wilson at his last show (so far) at the Albert Hall (the one that was filmed for the DVD/Bluray). I could not get into the music he was doing with the other female artist. I later learned that one song was actually from his work with Japan ("Ghosts") and he closed with "Buying New Soul" in a duet with Steven. But the other material was out there for me.

I find the level of different editions frustrating and annoying. In my local HMV there was double vinyl in either black, white or silver, single CD, or mega CD and Blu-ray box set at a hefty fee. I’ve bought every other PT release on CD down the decades, so I opted for the CD, but of course there are no bonus tracks that way, so I feel a little shortchanged. I’m sure this is the best way to make it pay for the artist, so I understand the need, but nobody likes to feel like used.

I'll probably check this out at some point soon -- I really enjoyed SW's last solo album actually and have liked the clips Ive heard from the new one so far. Gavin is a monster.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I somehow would have thought Barbieri wouldn't have been there, but maybe?
    Barbieri's been part of every PT live band going back to the beginning. In fact, he's now the only one left from the original Barbieri-Maitland-Edwin trio.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Was this it?

Not sure about the Marillion gig, but that would make sense given h's connection with Barbieri.
    Yep, that would be it, guess I had the year wrong. It was a very cool show! Don't think I knew there was video.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So gave it a listen today, seems a nice enough PT album, ticks most of the right boxes. I have 6 of their albums but doubt I'll feel a pressing need to buy this one.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

He released three of these tunes as "singles" and then released a CD with an additional 4 songs, so most interested parties have already heard half the album. Maybe he should announce that he has an album when the whole thing is ready for consumption instead of leaking out half of the album, keeping expectations to a minimum. At least this project didn't drag on for a year before he released it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Was this it?
    That was it; I was there.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This is the Wilson solo album I was waiting for him to make once he stopped making whatever he was calling the last two albums. It fits more snuggly in the Insurgentes, Raven, HCE, Storm Corrosion mold than PT to my ears. As a PT album 13 years in the making I feel its pretty disappointing. And truth be told, I don't know what I was expecting!
    And to be fair, I may feel it's a solo album with PT members because I've listened to more of his solo work since PT went on "break."
    I saw all his solos tours through Raven and HCE (five times.) I honestly need to go back to see if I feel the same way with the first incarnation. I saw them multiple times on every US tour they made from Stupid Dream until The Incident, which I thought was incredible.
    Maybe this is the perfect evolution, time will tell. I've listened to it three times already, so I'll see. Its whetted my appetite to go back into the catalogue, so there's that!
    All that being said...
    I think the playing is stellar, as expected.
    Harrison...the guy is just so incredibly great, he's going to be worth the price of admission just to watch him pull this off. His work here reminds me of the Radio City show years ago, he was absolutely unhinged that night. The best performance I ever saw him do. Mind-blowing.
    Wilsons vocals have really "matured," and I say that with full disclosure I only listened to To The Bone once, and only the few pre-album track he put out of the Future Bites. So maybe his vocals aren't that "Matured" in the grand scheme of things, but they really sound great! And his bass playing on Love in the Past Tense is really beautiful.
    I think that he didn't come in with songs to put on the next album like he did first time around gave them, and certainly Harrison, a LOT more room to stretch out. Again, he really is amazing on the album.
    And Barbieris' treatments are sublime as always!
    I hope y'all enjoy this incarnation without listening to too much yammering like mine getting in the way and dive in!
    Disclaimer: These are my thoughts on the album and NOT FACT!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So gave it a listen today, seems a nice enough PT album, ticks most of the right boxes. I have 6 of their albums but doubt I'll feel a pressing need to buy this one.
    That's mostly how I feel. There are some songs with pretty cool bass lines and playing, and on a first weekend's worth of listening that seems like the thing which most sets it apart from prior PT. It seems to be generating a passion in some listeners which I don't feel yet, but maybe in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I find the level of different editions frustrating and annoying. In my local HMV there was double vinyl in either black, white or silver, single CD, or mega CD and Blu-ray box set at a hefty fee. I’ve bought every other PT release on CD down the decades, so I opted for the CD, but of course there are no bonus tracks that way, so I feel a little shortchanged. I’m sure this is the best way to make it pay for the artist, so I understand the need, but nobody likes to feel like used.
    Yeah this seems like a point of irritation for a lot of people, myself included. Normally I'd opt for the single-disc but the bonus tracks are pretty good and I don't love it enough to shell out for the whole package, so I might just stream it and call it good (somewhat uncharacteristically because I do keep a pretty up to date CD shelf). I guess if they didn't put something exclusive in the mega set then why buy it -- I mean there's a 5.1 mix presumably but probably not everyone is set up for that. I dunno.

He released three of these tunes as "singles" and then released a CD with an additional 4 songs, so most interested parties have already heard half the album. Maybe he should announce that he has an album when the whole thing is ready for consumption instead of leaking out half of the album, keeping expectations to a minimum. At least this project didn't drag on for a year before he released it.
    I suppose it's a hard balance to strike because you want to do everything you can to drum up buzz, but at some point people get burned out on hearing about the album before it's even released. If I remember right he addresses this in his book and makes the point that it seems like overexposure to the niche audiences who will buy and listen to the album no matter what, but to most people that level of repeated exposure is necessary to be heard over all the noise.

So I wanted the new album with the extra tracks but don't want to pay $76. I saw on their official web site that there was an extended download version available until the end of the month, but there is no link for that and there is no price shown. Anyone have anything on that?
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    So I wanted the new album with the extra tracks but don't want to pay $76. I saw on their official web site that there was an extended download version available until the end of the month, but there is no link for that and there is no price shown. Anyone have anything on that?
    It will be on sale for a low, low price of $75.99.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It will be on sale for a low, low price of $75.99.
    Very likely! Odd there are only a couple days left in the month to buy this download that apparently isn't available. Once that date comes and goes it's special edition only. Oh well.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Yes, I bought the digital download from their official store for $6.99. This is the deluxe edition (10-tracks) with instrumental versions included, together with the 60-page PDF booklet from the deluxe edition. You only see this offer from their "global store", even if you are in the US. You can download either CD quality FLAC files or MP3s. The link is:

https://porcupinetree.tmstor.es/prod...ose_location=1

Supposedly, this low-cost option is on offer until the end of the week.

I bought the standard release on CD from a local retailer (here in Australia - JB Hi-Fi) because my budget didn't allow for the deluxe edition plus shipping from overseas. (I already pushed things budget-wise by springing for the special edition of SW's book earlier on in the year). When I saw the special offer on the digital release of the deluxe C/C I snapped it up - that's about $AUD9.00 - bargain.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    - bargain.
    the best you ever had?

the best you ever had?
    Well maybe not the best ever
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Apple Music. $9.99 a month, unlimited access. All ten songs available on release day.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."