Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: PT/C/C

Will be seeing them in about a week and a half in Dallas. First time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Nate Navarro did fine on bass... most of the parts were pretty simple for him, as he is a very talented player, but although into it, he was kind of non-descript off to the side.
    NN was probably minding his Ps and Qs having to play bass next to the widely regarded best drummer in rock music these days.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Hey nobody told me there would be math

My issue might have been where Herd was placed in the set - it was fine but didn't grab me. Glad you liked it more than I did.

And agreed - if you're undecided I recommend going.
    oh i'm there...more or less front row after pit section...but i mean boo hoo for me with my personal cuts not making it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    We attended the PT show last night in Laval Quebec (just outside of Montreal). The band's 12 year absence resulted in huge bump in attendance - about 12K. The highlight of the show for me was Anesthetize but the whole show was mind blowing. The band has the stature to pull in a large audience. I think it was an excellent investment of time and money. If you're on the fence, I can fully say that you'll enjoy yourself! Nice balance of old and new. Gavin was spectacular and Richard's presence of was well received/appreciated. Steven was excellent too.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Boston tomorrow!

Was surprised to see so many good seats still available for the Denver show. Maybe because the Broncos have a game down the street at the same time? So I picked one up. Using airline points to get there. Looking forward to it!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Is Wilson still whining about people sitting during the concert?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I don't think it's whining but just a preference. To answer your question for Montreal - NO. But the floor was standing and about 10,000 seats were filled.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

He mentioned it in a joking way in Toronto; mostly saying that it would be cool to stand up some of the time and people did. It did not come across as whining. In fact, when many people remained standing after the song where he mentioned it, he said "if you want to stay standing, it works for me". It was mostly during a couple of high energy favourites and the encore, that people stood.

Neil

He mentioned it in a joking way in Toronto; mostly saying that it would be cool to stand up some of the time and people did. It did not come across as whining. In fact, when many people remained standing after the song where he mentioned it, he said "if you want to stay standing, it works for me". It was mostly during a couple of high energy favourites and the encore, that people stood.

Neil
    Neil - where was the Toronto show and what size was the audience?

^^Greg, it was at the Meridain Hall (formerly the Sony Center, formerly the O'Keefe Centre, etc.). Capacity is listed at just over 3,000 and it looked full.

Neil

^^Greg, it was at the Meridain Hall (formerly the Sony Center, formerly the O'Keefe Centre, etc.). Capacity is listed at just over 3,000 and it looked full.

Neil
    I'm glad you had a good time. It was an awesome show.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 09-16-2022 at 02:12 PM.

For what they were charging, he should probably sit the F Down himself. Not paying $200.00 to see them

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    For what they were charging, he should probably sit the F Down himself. Not paying $200.00 to see them
    Good thing you can choose to just stay home then.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

So yeah, it was hands down the best PT show I've seen, last night at Radio City. If anyone is curious, there's currently an audio only boot of the whole show on YouTube and tons of clips of individual songs.

*edit: and also there are tons of videos from last night up too. There was just a polite "no phones please" message on the big screen preshow, and people for the most part were considerate, not many phones being waved around from what I saw, but from YouTube it seems a few people got some good surreptitious footage.
    Last edited by jamesmanzi; 09-17-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Going to see them tomorrow ( 9/18) at Anthem in DC.
    Looking forward to the show.
    Any of y'all going to that show that want to get dinner or something PM or post.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Is it not possible to express an opinion here without being attacked and called stupid by those who disagree? I'm not sure why some people feel the need to constantly berate those who have different opinions. Cancel culture gets everywhere these days it seems. I stand by what I said, Prince and Bowie's music does nothing for me no matter how "cool" some people think they are, it's just wishy washy radio pop for me. Not everyone liked the same things.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    AH this is the gist of it - I wouldn't it call it cancel culture, though - Always believed is a form of Dunning-Kruger syndrome - which is OK, we all have it in some degree - there is a natural tendency to consider an internalized opinion a universal truth - which is of course a form of a logical fallacy. But since it has been internalized as core belief... well, people get offended, specially if the disagreeing party is forceful in their statement of their opinion.

Personally, I am more in the camp of, as many have expressed here, respect, but not really for me. I don't own any recordings of either one. They haven't compelled me to spend my money on their art. Spotify has been great as I can listen to the little amount that I do like ( and in the case of Prince is reduced to just two hits ) without having to spend money on stuff that holds to little appeal for me. Does that make me a musical ignoramus? Of course not. I could counter with some stuff that I like that well, is held even in higher regard than either one of them... But that doesn't make me a musical expert either... it is just taste.

To invoke your musical knowledge/experience ("you must not be a musician") it is also a logical fallacy - "argument by authority" - one's own authority! which is kind of funny, but to ME, the one form of that logical fallacy that triggers me, hence my need to mention it.

v

Posting an opinion on a message board and then complaining about “cancel culture” when people disagree with you is a bit much.

Anyway, don't care about that.

Saw them in Philly last night. I'm not sorry I saw it. I think the tour is vastly overpriced, but the venue was sold out so I guess that's just me having seen them in clubs so many times back when they weren't a legacy band and tickets were $25-40 a pop.

Crowd seemed to love it. I liked the setlist but would have preferred less of the new album in favor of a bit more of the earlier stuff (i.e. prior to Stupid Dream). Band was strong enough...GH remains a monster on the skins. Wilson talked more between songs. IMHO less would definitely have been more in that category.

I think this is my port of harbor though. Neither the album nor the tour made me reassess my overall sentiments on Wilson these days. Ok with being in the minority on this though, and glad that many folks probably had a chance to see them for the first time (including the little group with whom I saw the show), or were simply on board for the nostalgia train. Nothing wrong with that.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Posting an opinion on a message board and then complaining about “cancel culture” when people disagree with you is a bit much.
    Some folks just feel the need to apply butt-hurt salve with a circular motion, rub it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Must admit that we were dismayed by the floor crowd choosing to stand through the entire show in Boston. My wife is 5"2 and we try to avoid standing shows. I warned her however, as we had seen SW numerous times exhort the crowd to stand during his solo shows (while we were safely ensconced in balcony seats!)

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Must admit that we were dismayed by the floor crowd choosing to stand through the entire show in Boston. My wife is 5"2 and we try to avoid standing shows. I warned her however, as we had seen SW numerous times exhort the crowd to stand during his solo shows (while we were safely ensconced in balcony seats!)
    I get that. My gf is 5'5" and it's hard for her to see much at standing shows. I don't mind standing myself, but seated is fine too for most shows.

Neil

PT was pretty awesome the other night in NYC, I was thrilled so many fans came out for them.

I first saw PT at NYC's The Bottom Line in 2001 back when Lightbulb Sun was new. Love that era and my favorite PT album remains Stupid Dream so hearing "Evenless" was awesome/

Thought the new members Randy McStine and Nate Navarro were fantastic especially Randy who handled guitars and vocals.

I was at Radio City back in 2010 the last time they played there so it was fun to be back in the building enjoying some great music.

I'm back from the DC show. A quick review... I was very pleased with the performance. The setlist was very similar to the previous nights. The men were all in top form and the nearly 3-hour show was pretty intense. They came out on fire with a lot of songs from the new album. The second set was a little more relaxed, but still with moments of excitement.

This was my first PT show, though I've seen Wilson around 6 times since the release of HCE. As some others have noted, Steven was pretty talkative and the between song banter generally was humorous with only a few references about standing up.

I also very much enjoyed a pre-show dinner with markwoll, whose comments I've followed on PE for years. It was fun to compare notes on our mutual interest in PT and Wilson, other prog rock bands, and real-life pursuits.