Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten Years Ago Today Was The End Of NEARFest

Ten Years Ago Today Was The End Of NEARFest

There was another thread where people were talking about time passing more quickly as we get older and I realized
    NEARFest ended on June 24 2012! Ten years!! Really?!

As great as it was to see and hear the "name" bands (Renaissance, VdGG(!), UK), I think my favorite act that weekend
    was Helmet Of Gnats. Seeing Dave Kerman (Aranis) is always spellbinding, and Mr. Keneally delivered the goods as always.

... and the Rob/Chad/Kevin group-hug onstage at the end while Emerson's "Glorietta" blasted over the PA during a
    long standing ovation was something I cherish (and I don't use that word lightly) to this day.

I'm still pissed I missed it.

It's my annual weekend celebrating NF by listening to bands I saw there over the years.

NP - Banco
    Last played - Miriodor

I was there! It was another great weekend!

I made it to every year. Sad it is gone, but totally understand why.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I was there! It was another great weekend!
    It was great!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

What a terrific final NF it was! Over the years, I made it to all but two NEARfests and have such great memories of them. It became kinda like the NFL, in that there is year-round discussion with the draft and the pre-season. With NEARfests, there was the anticipation and discussion as each act was announced, then the inevitable "Where should I start?" for the bands we hadn't heard from before, then the pre-sales, the weekend itself, and then the much anticipated reviews afterward. Such good times!

That was my first prog music festival. Been to most of the RosFests since.

Started in 2003 and I think I only missed one through 2012.

I usually pull out a few cds every year from those days just to help me remember the fact that if it weren’t for Chad and Rob and everyone else involved I would never have seen these acts live in my lifetime. It was great but I would not have been able to attend a festival like this for about 10 years now. So it’s a memory that I will always have and enjoy thinking back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was supposed to be there helping out with merch (I'm even listed as such in the program) but my great niece had spinal surgery that weekend & I had to be there. I missed a great show, but family always comes first! FYI - the surgery was a success!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Has it been already 10 years? Time really flies. What a great run it had and then to be able to be at the concerts of so many great bands was something else. Unforgettable experience all around. Too bad festivals had to end, nevertheless, heartful thanks to Rob, Chad and everyone else involved for creating such a miracle of festivals

Was lucky enough to attend all of them, starting in 1999 at Moravian College. Only missed parts or whole concerts from opening bands on Sundays, casualties of commuting to the festival every day that took its toll on Sunday mornings. Still, so many memories to cherish
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Wow, such good memories!!!!!

Third row for Keith Emerson Band is the highlight for me.....but so many bands I discovered.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I only got to the last two, both were wonderful, highlights for me were:-

Aranis
    Anglagard
    Gosta Berlings Saga

The whole festival was excellent and had a great time with everyone there. Unique atmosphere.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Made a bunch of them, performed at one of them, was hungover at all of them! Amazing times. Cheers Rob and Chad and Co.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    So hard to believe this was 10 years ago. Good memories of fun times.
    <sig out of order>

Forever bummed that I never actually got to go to one, but knowing all of you and hearing all your awesome stories was definitely great!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Camping out inside Zoellner awaiting tickets was cool

I’m getting old posts today on FB of returning to the PNW from the last NF. I attended the last 6. Fond memories of all of them. I credit Joe F. For turning me on to the festival.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Wow! Thanks for all the memories and props, all. It was a great run and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is amazing that it's been 10 years since the last NEARfest. I was talking to progman1975 about the upcoming Camel tour and realized that we had them 20 years ago at NF. Think about that! Crazy!

It's amazing how different the landscape is now in so many ways. I don't think we could pull this off in the 2020's. And make no mistake, we ain't even considering it! I'm just humbled at how fondly you all remember it.

Thank you...
    Chad

I'm glad I made it to the last one! Thanks to my buddy Karl (Magic Mountain) for getting me a couple tickets. We had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    So hard to believe this was 10 years ago. Good memories of fun times.
    Looking for the Upvote button again.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Ten Years Ago Today Was The End Of NEARFest

Not sure where I snapped this - probably in the parking garage at the venue. But I liked it, and it popped up on Facebook.

Primary procreation is accomplished…

The best ones for me were the ones that fell on the last day of school in June....I would leave right from school on that Friday, and it was doubly amazing: no more school *and* NF! Incredible times.