Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Massimo Morante of Goblin

R.I.P. Massimo Morante of Goblin

This really hurts. I've loved Goblin longer than most of the bands I listen to. I got into them nearly forty years ago, not long after Tangerine Dream, when I didn't know what "progressive rock" was.

RIP.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/goblin...te-dies-at-70/

R.I.P. Massimo Morante of Goblin

Taken from their official Facebook news page:

Massimo Morante, founding guitarist for the legendary Italian progressive rock band and horror film scorers Goblin, has passed away at age 70. The band writes, "Goblin announce with a heavy heart and in total disbelief the passing of founder and guitar master Massimo Morante." Cause of death has not yet been reported.

Goblin's discography includes the scores to Suspiria, Deep Red, Dawn of the Dead, and more. Goblin (Massimo included) last released Fearless (37513 Zombie Ave) in 2018 and toured the US the following year.

massimo.jpg

... I will spin some Goblin and Cherry Five CDs tonight. R.I.P.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

R.I.P. a legend of Italian Prog

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Just read it. Sad news. Will play some Cherry Five later..
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Oh yeah, RIP. Loved what he brought to Goblin.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Such sad news. Been a fan of Goblin since my early teens. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Just read it. Sad news. Will play some Cherry Five later..
    Fabulous album.
    RIP.

That sucks.

Sad news today. RIP...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Really sad and shocking news indeed, we have lost a great italian prog master musician. RIP caro amico ~

So sorry about this. He had the tone and the vision to make a feather come to life as sinister story's wing.

I'll be listening tonight, starting with the Cherry Five and moving on from there. Roller I'll play all the way through, I think.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Oof...tough news. Will be spinning some Goblin tonight.

RIP
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    This really hurts. I've loved Goblin longer than most of the bands I listen to. I got into them nearly forty years ago, not long after Tangerine Dream, when I didn't know what "progressive rock" was.

RIP.
    This mirrors almost exactly my history with Goblin (and Tangerine Dream). Really sad. When thinking about the Goblin "sound", I often first think of keyboards and the work of the rhythm section, not necessary Morante's contributions. Yet now the first thing that popped into my mind was the hypnotic opening ostinato of "Profondo Rosso", played by Morante, of course. And who knows how many times his simple but ecstatic soloing on "Le cacate di viridiana" has lifted my mood just a bit over the years. And then there's the bouzouki in "Suspiria" and the riff in "School at Night" and the acoustic part in "Il risveglio del serpente" and...

R. I. P. indeed. Back to la terra di Goblin.

Since no cause of death has been announced, I hope it wasn't an attack by cats or a stab with an objet d'art...

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    This mirrors almost exactly my history with Goblin (and Tangerine Dream). Really sad. When thinking about the Goblin "sound", I often first think of keyboards and the work of the rhythm section, not necessary Morante's contributions. Yet now the first thing that popped into my mind was the hypnotic opening ostinato of "Profondo Rosso", played by Morante, of course. And who knows how many times his simple but ecstatic soloing on "Le cacate di viridiana" has lifted my mood just a bit over the years. And then there's the bouzouki in "Suspiria" and the riff in "School at Night" and the acoustic part in "Il risveglio del serpente" and...
    "...E Suono Rock" is one of my most-revered Goblin moments. Massimo's line mirrors the staccato synth passage but varies some notes and his tone is perfect. He wasn't a flashy player, choosing to enhance the composition, not exceed it. (Unfortunately, the guy you hear yell "F*ck yeah!" in Austinato when "Suono" starts isn't me.) (And for the record, Steve Moore killed it on sax and vocal.)

I love that bouzouki in "La Caccia (The Hunt)."

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Very sad and shocked!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Wow, I've been a fan of Goblin since the 1970's. When the 1st ever U.S. tour was announced in 2013 I grabbed a ticket for the show at the legendary Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. I got to the venue early, so I was just hanging out in front of the theater, when I spied Massimo Morante across the courtyard by himself having a smoke. I approached him and we talked for a least 10 minutes. He was very nice, and seemed pleased that I go back as far as Roller as a fan. He noticed that I was wearing a Porcupine Tree T-Shirt, and he talked quite a bit about the talents of Steven Wilson. He smiled when I said that I was thrilled to be finally seeing Goblin in concert. He shook my hand and thanked me for being such a long time fan, and said he had to leave for the soundcheck. And how was the show? Stellar! And this was the original band, before they splintered into off-shoots. I'll always remember this great gig. RIP and thank you Massimo.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Wow, I've been a fan of Goblin since the 1970's. When the 1st ever U.S. tour was announced in 2013 I grabbed a ticket for the show at the legendary Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. I got to the venue early, so I was just hanging out in front of the theater, when I spied Massimo Morante across the courtyard by himself having a smoke. I approached him and we talked for a least 10 minutes. He was very nice, and seemed pleased that I go back as far as Roller as a fan. He noticed that I was wearing a Porcupine Tree T-Shirt, and he talked quite a bit about the talents of Steven Wilson. He smiled when I said that I was thrilled to be finally seeing Goblin in concert. He shook my hand and thanked me for being such a long time fan, and said he had to leave for the soundcheck. And how was the show? Stellar! And this was the original band, before they splintered into off-shoots. I'll always remember this great gig. RIP and thank you Massimo.
    Way cool that you got to hang with Massimo!

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Wow, I've been a fan of Goblin since the 1970's. When the 1st ever U.S. tour was announced in 2013 I grabbed a ticket for the show at the legendary Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. [...] And how was the show? Stellar! And this was the original band, before they splintered into off-shoots. I'll always remember this great gig. RIP and thank you Massimo.
    Since we all love specifics: in 2013 this was New Goblin, which was Morante + Guarini fused with Simonetti's Daemonia backline. Pignatelli and Marangolo had formed Goblin Rebirth at this point. The "classic" quartet lineup hadn't worked together since Non Ho Sonno in 2000...Back To The Goblin in 2005 was them minus Simonetti, plus Guarini.

I saw New Goblin in 2013 as well, plus the subsequent lineup twice which was Goblin Rebirth with Guarini and Morante integrated in (the tour I saw had Zombi opening, but if memory serves Zammit was on keys, not Moore, for Goblin's set). The last show was an utterly amazing setlist built more from the Goblin Rebirth Alive setlist with some additional material from Four of a Kind added in. It was beyond wonderful hearing them move beyond the "standards" and dive into some fabulous other stuff like Killer on the Train, La Chiesa and Le Cascate di Viridiana (at least for me, it turns out Pignatelli is the MVP whose presence brings out what I love most in Goblin).

Goblin was a band that I had long considered would be a permanent member of my bucket list, so to end up seeing them not just once but three times was such a treat.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It was beyond wonderful hearing them move beyond the "standards" and dive into some fabulous other stuff like Killer on the Train, La Chiesa and Le Cascate di Viridiana (at least for me, it turns out Pignatelli is the MVP whose presence brings out what I love most in Goblin).
    When they issued their amusingly titled one-off as BacktotheGoblin (with 2005 tacked on for the album title), Fabio grabbed ample room to flex; the groovacious "Hitches" instantly became and remains my favorite cut from that album. It's awesome.

Yeah...I don't love BacktotheGoblin as much as what came after (or before, obviously!), but it's enjoyable in places for sure

For me it was Goblin Rebirth blasting through Zombi that really clinched it with me...that bass line is just so perfect and funky and the band had the right energy start to finish.

Morante (for me) found his groove again with Four of a Kind, and delivered some amazing performances.

Recently noticed a small gap in my Goblin collection, so I ordered and received my copy of Volo over the weekend, hearing it for the first time.

I'd like to add to my tributes to Morante: he can rest easy in the afterlife knowing that he didn't play on Volo

Recently noticed a small gap in my Goblin collection, so I ordered and received my copy of Volo over the weekend, hearing it for the first time.

I'd like to add to my tributes to Morante: he can rest easy in the afterlife knowing that he didn't play on Volo
    Ohh, my. I've come this >< close to buying that, just to "complete" the collection, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. It should have been issued under the name Volo. "Est" is cool, but it's on Notturno.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Ohh, my. I've come this >< close to buying that, just to "complete" the collection, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. It should have been issued under the name Volo. "Est" is cool, but it's on Notturno.
    The nicest thing I'll say is that it is unremarkable and forgettable. Also surprising, given that I really like so much of Pignatelli's work on either side of this album. C'est la vie!

The nicest thing I'll say is that it is unremarkable and forgettable. Also surprising, given that I really like so much of Pignatelli's work on either side of this album. C'est la vie!
    Claudio was doing some similarly unremarkable and forgettable stuff on his own around that time.