Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs From The 70s To Make The Charts This Century?

Songs From The 70s To Make The Charts This Century?

After hearing about Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" (1985) going to #1, I was curious if there was anything older, say from the 60/70s that even made the Top 100 singles (or albums) charts in the last 20 years. And if you have a great link with a lot of this information, I'd appreciate it.

P.S. - I always wonder if there are charts, or records in every country.. For example, how many copies of "Dark Side of the Moon" were sold in Iraq in 1973?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Alan Parsons posted on Facebook congratulating KB on having the oldest single to return to #1 in the British Rock charts. This doesn’t really answer your question though, does it?
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Alan Parsons posted on Facebook congratulating KB on having the oldest single to return to #1 in the British Rock charts. This doesn’t really answer your question though, does it?
    I actually like hearing what contemporaries say about each other.... I'm very interested how this has changed with things being public, like Twitter, knowing that some actually post their own stuff on their own (I think because people don't want others to have their phone).. I don't do any "social" media, but sometimes I'll type in a band, a name, anything, and see the LATEST comment -- I love random precision.

Didn’t “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong have a revival - not sure if it got to #1 - not even sure what constitutes “the charts” these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Didn’t “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong have a revival - not sure if it got to #1 - not even sure what constitutes “the charts” these days.

I don't know anything about charts, either. But I'd love if someone did. Maybe there's a database of all the different kinds, maybe even by countries... Online vs. physical. All sorts of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    It was a #1 in (ARIA) Australia and Belgium (VRT Top 30 Flanders) in 1988. Also #2 on Dutch Top 40, #6 Canadian Adult Contemporary, and #7 US Adult Contemporary.

So saith the Wikipedia; let us give thanks and be glad.
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

But of course, none of that can top the great honor of being covered by Joey Ramone...

It seems like if you so much as sneeze in the direction of a song it gets on the charts now.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    It seems like if you so much as sneeze in the direction of a song it gets on the charts now.
    I think that's because so few singles are released now, or released and actually bought. Also, as I guess is the case with RUTH, they could simply release a digital single at the drop of a hat (or a quid), and make it to the charts. But as MortSahlFan said, I don't know anything about charts either. Just that I heard the reason Marillion are occasionally capable of charting a single ( ) is that so few are released.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

"Nights In White Satin" by the Moody Blues would probably be in the running for the re-charting category. It charted four different times in three different decades in many different countries. The last time was in 2013 in Germany, Belgium and Austria. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nights_in_White_Satin

I suppose technically it doesn't count since it isn't from the 70s but then again neither is "What A Wonderful World."
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

For those last 20 years if you want to consider top 100 in countr(ies) in Europe not USA, Mariah Carey's 2003 pop version of a song from a 1981 Def Leppard album (older than 1985). URL below points to another good cover -- a vocal cover -- of it.
    P.S. A song that happened to land on my radar this week, that's how I know -- I don't know much about charts info.
    https://youtu.be/uTJ9YXFTQc0

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    It was a #1 in (ARIA) Australia and Belgium (VRT Top 30 Flanders) in 1988. Also #2 on Dutch Top 40, #6 Canadian Adult Contemporary, and #7 US Adult Contemporary.

So saith the Wikipedia; let us give thanks and be glad.
    Yeah, because i twas used in some Robin Williams movie or something.

For years, I've noticed how the Dutch are the most "far-out" to accept Prog.. The cool stuff that might be ignored by other markets seem to do the best there.

When Jim Morrison went to the hospital after too much hash and vodka in Amsterdam, the audience were told they could get their guilders back, OR, see the three Doors... They wanted a show. I've been to The Netherlands 6 times, and know one who was at the show (which is on YouTube) and their idea was basically, "Let's enjoy the music and let's give them a chance" and now it's kind of a historical show among Doors fans. I think for many it was a social gathering, just like listening to the radio, only much better. No commercials. Unfortunately, I'm too young, and didn't see my first concert until the year 2000. I played my own concerts with my first band a handful of years before I ever saw a big concert. I don't know the feeling of waiting for the next Pink Floyd album, wondering how it'll be.

Bohemian Rhapsody

I gotta go with Diana Ankudinova's version of Wonderful World, though I do have a soft spot for Joey Ramone:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post

P.S. - I always wonder if there are charts, or records in every country.. For example, how many copies of "Dark Side of the Moon" were sold in Iraq in 1973?
    I don't know if there exists a source for Rock album sales in Iraq, but I doubt it. Here is the worldwide sales list for that classic PF release"

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON certifications and sales
    Country / region Sales Certification / source Certification date / sales as of
    Argentina 240,000 2x Platinum + 2x Platinum 1 January, 1991
    Australia 1,020,000 14x Platinum / The Sydney Morning Herald 2013
    Austria 100,000 2x Platinum 20 January, 1993
    Belgium 25,000 1x Gold 2008
    Canada 2,350,000 2x Diamond 2003
    Denmark 200,000 4x Platinum
    France 400,000 1x Platinum 1980
    Germany 1,000,000 2x Platinum 1973
    Italy 300,000 6x Platinum 2021
    Japan 124,831 Oricon charts
    New Zealand 240,000 16x Platinum
    Poland 120,000 1x Platinum + 1x Platinum 2003
    Portugal 10,000 1x Silver
    Russia 20,000 1x Platinum 2003
    United Kingdom 4,500,000 15x Platinum November, 2021
    United States 21,871,000 15x Platinum 4 June, 1998
    Worldwide sales 50,000,000 Sony Music Japan

Don't know exactly the chart results, but every few years from 1973 on, Roy Wood's "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" makes the charts in England and Europe. I believe the same applies to Slade's "Merry Christmas, Everybody." I suppose that Christmas songs have their own special niche for continued chart appearance.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

There were stories that when Jim Seals of Seals & Crofts died a few weeks ago, "Summer Breeze" registered on the charts again due to Google lyric searches.

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    When Jim Morrison went to the hospital after too much hash and vodka in Amsterdam, the audience were told they could get their guilders back, OR, see the three Doors... They wanted a show. I've been to The Netherlands 6 times, and know one who was at the show (which is on YouTube) and their idea was basically, "Let's enjoy the music and let's give them a chance" and now it's kind of a historical show among Doors fans.
    It is a hell of a story. Morrison actually did make it to the gig, and even to the stage...during Jefferson Airplane's opening set, where he invited himself to cavort around the stage. That was where he collapsed, staggered off, and was taken to the hospital. That left Ray Manzarek to be lead singer for a night.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Although this is kind of cheating since the lyrics to the song were rewritten but another example might be Elton John's remake of Candle In The Wind which charted again after Princess Diana died. The new version was called Candle In The Wind 1997. Technically, it's not the same song but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway. Of course it was bad timing since it came out around the same time as that quintessential classic Calling All Stations.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Speaking of Elton, "Cold Heart" (a remix of "Sacrifice" and "Rocket Man" with Dua Lipa on vocals) peaked at number 7 on Billboard's Hot 100 on January 15th of this year. "Rocket Man" reached number 6 on the US singles charts in 1972 and number 2 in Great Britain. "Sacrifice" reached number 18 in the US in 1989, however, when rereleased the following year, became Elton's first solo chart-topping hit in both the UK and France.

I know what many may be thinking (a remix dance hit - oh boy ),however I like the treatment it receives here and the songs together sound like a natural medley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-4nwP4mfa4

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I gotta go with Diana Ankudinova's version of Wonderful World, though I do have a soft spot for Joey Ramone:

She has a great voice, and a great feel for the melody; but something in her voicing feels (to me, obviously!) wrong for the words she's singing, as if she doesn't know what they actually mean.

Natheless, a great performance indeed.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Although this is kind of cheating since the lyrics to the song were rewritten but another example might be Elton John's remake of Candle In The Wind which charted again after Princess Diana died. The new version was called Candle In The Wind 1997.
    I remember taking some vacation time and was up the ladder scraping and painting my house with a radio playing from the ground, and after several hearings of that because it was played in every. damn. news. break., I got down off the ladder and put on a sports talk station. JFC

There was the song "December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" by The Four Seasons. That went to # 1 in 1976, I think. Then in the mid-'90s, it was re-released with a slight remix and it went Top 20.

Edit - just realized that, while this one had a span of almost 20 years between charting, it doesn't fit into the "Songs From The 70s To Make The Charts This Century?" topic. Maybe someone oughta start doing a dance to the song on TikTok or whatever and get it on the charts again!
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 06-23-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    There was the song "December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" by The Four Seasons. That went to # 1 in 1976, I think. Then in the mid-'90s, it was re-released with a slight remix and it went Top 20.

Edit - just realized that, while this one had a span of almost 20 years between charting, it doesn't fit into the "Songs From The 70s To Make The Charts This Century?" topic. Maybe someone oughta start doing a dance to the song on TikTok or whatever and get it on the charts again!
    How genius! If I had the money, I'd find sexy lip-synchers to dance to some Adjacent-Prog from the 70s

"Fool's Overture", bitches!