Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TULL: Thick As A Brick 50th anniversary reissue on vinyl and CD/DVD

TULL: Thick As A Brick 50th anniversary reissue on vinyl and CD/DVD

Yep, for those who missed out!

From the official page:

We’re excited to announce the 50th Anniversary Edition of Thick As A Brick, out on half-speed mastered vinyl in the incredible original newspaper packaging on 29th July.

And that’s not all, the coveted 40th Anniversary Special Collector’s Edition CD/DVD will be back in print on October 7th.

There's a video on Facebook of Ian showing the new vinyl edition, but it doesn't show up here when I link it. Also, the pre-order link is faulty at the moment but I'll post it once it is fixed (or someone else can if they notice it first!)
    Last edited by Progatron; 06-21-2022 at 11:14 AM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I am surprised they didn’t take the opportunity to expand the book set to make it comparable to the subsequent multi-disc sets.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Tull is one of my fav bands ever, but I don't know if I'll like it at 1/2 speed - I think it may sound better at the regular speed. Although, maybe my wife and I can light a candle and slow dance to it now - that might be nice.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I am surprised they didn’t take the opportunity to expand the book set to make it comparable to the subsequent multi-disc sets.
    I think so many people have cried out for its reissue that they knew they could sell a ton of them without adding anything. If people shell out $300 for them on the secondhand market, they are guaranteed to sell at $40 a pop (or whatever they cost. Mine was $28 Cdn. when it was first released).

The other big plus for a lot of people will be a set they know has no flaws (presumably), unlike the original which needed a disc replacement. No more being unsure if the one they're buying has been corrected.

BTW, just saw someone elsewhere ask if this was the 'unremastered' version. Yyyyeah, if we can go ahead and not invent words like 'unremastered', that'd be great, thanks.

I think I smell a half-speed vinyl craze about to happen. But my Marley and PG half-speed pressing do sound damn good, so maybe it's not total audio snake oil?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I wonder if this is partly responsible for Broadsword being pushed back to spring of next year? I was told 'manufacturing delays', but that's such a vague term...

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think I smell a half-speed vinyl craze about to happen. But my Marley and PG half-speed pressing do sound damn good, so maybe it's not total audio snake oil?
    You weren't buying MFSL editions in the 70s and 80s?

Thanks for posting! I missed out on the original pressing. I’ll be sure to not miss this one.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You weren't buying MFSL editions in the 70s and 80s?
    No.

does the fact that the 50th release is not available on CD mean that the content is the same as what's on the 40th??
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    does the fact that the 50th release is not available on CD mean that the content is the same as what's on the 40th??
    Yes, it’s the 2012 Wilson remix.

No.
    Well, they can still be had on the 2nd hand market. Some are LP only, some CD only, some both (I think.) In my experience, they're worth the extra cash. Well, some of the CDs blow by the "worth it" price point, but if you're looking for specific titles, you can usually find a decent price, if you are patient. The vinyl is normally not overpriced.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Tull is one of my fav bands ever, but I don't know if I'll like it at 1/2 speed - I think it may sound better at the regular speed. Although, maybe my wife and I can light a candle and slow dance to it now - that might be nice.
    Don't fall for it.
    It's all a scam to make people run out and buy 66⅔ RPM turntables.

If you are referring to adding more music, what would it be? By all accounts there are no pro-recorded live Tull shows from that era, and the only studio outtake I've seen mentioned is an early mix of TAAB without overdubs that I understand Ian vetoed including on the previous box set.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Don't fall for it.
    I remember the first copy I found of In The Court Of The Crimson King was a half-speed mastered version from the 80's, and I was confused for a minute thinking I'd have to set the turntable to run at half speed.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    If you are referring to adding more music, what would it be? By all accounts there are no pro-recorded live Tull shows from that era, and the only studio outtake I've seen mentioned is an early mix of TAAB without overdubs that I understand Ian vetoed including on the previous box set.
    Well, there's the rub. There's nothing that I know of that would make a compelling addition if they had decided to go for an expanded release. There are single and promo edits of TaaB, but I doubt anyone really cares about those. Still, Ian has managed to conjure up surprises that even the hardcores didn't know about for many of the recent book sets, so who knows what he might have up his sleeve? Failing anything else, a show from the spectacular 1972 tour would have been a worthy inclusion, even if it had to be sourced from an audience tape.

Failing anything else, a show from the spectacular 1972 tour would have been a worthy inclusion, even if it had to be sourced from an audience tape.
    Having an audience tape-sourced show also seems to me like the only option. I'd be surprised if Ian would approve that, but then I didn't expect this TAAB box to be reissued.

There was a promo edit LP of TAAB (also one for A Passion Play, which I have, but the TAAB promo is apparently more rare). Some of the other megaboxes like the In The Court.. or Topographic reissues have included needledrops of those but it is probably true it wouldn't generate that much interest.

Though it's one of my utter-fave albums, I don't really have an interest for TAAB big set, once you know they barely ever-played the full thing live and that there were never extra track outside the (expandable) interview, since I'm not really interested in alternate takes.
    I've still got the (mint) vinyl and the (mint) Mini-Lp CD version.
    It would take quite a lot for me to get this one - especially that I don't own the other album's boxsets.

Don't fall for it.
    Hey, I already got one of those
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yep, for those who missed out!

From the official page:

We’re excited to announce the 50th Anniversary Edition of Thick As A Brick, out on half-speed mastered vinyl in the incredible original newspaper packaging on 29th July.

And that’s not all, the coveted 40th Anniversary Special Collector’s Edition CD/DVD will be back in print on October 7th.

There's a video on Facebook of Ian showing the new vinyl edition, but it doesn't show up here when I link it. Also, the pre-order link is faulty at the moment but I'll post it once it is fixed (or someone else can if they notice it first!)
    Missed out on the CD/DVD release of Thick as a Brick. Will be sure not to miss it this time.
    Last edited by PCMusic; 06-23-2022 at 02:17 PM.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Missed out on the CD/DVD release of Thick as a Brick. Hope they will re-release it too in this format. Any word on this one yet?
    Isn't that what the highlighted part from the post you quoted is talking about, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    "I already got one of those
    It's verrrryyy nicccceeee!!!! In an outrageous French accent.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    It's verrrryyy nicccceeee!!!! In an outrageous French accent.
    Do I smell...elderberries???

Thanks so much for this info!
    Preordered and hope they continue putting out all the ones I missed!

Isn't that what the highlighted part from the post you quoted is talking about, or am I missing something?
    Just checking if anyone reads my posts? But seriously, must have dozed off at the time taking it for Aqualung. Thanks anyway for pointing this out. Already corrected the post for what it was supposed to say. Will certainly be on a lookout for this one to complete the JT collection in this format.
    Last edited by PCMusic; 06-23-2022 at 02:16 PM.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"