Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new Farpoint song/album

Brand new Farpoint song/album

Hey all,

Just wanted to share with anyone interested, in celebration of 25 years as a band and 20 years since our first album, Farpoint has a new album coming out soon and we have shared a song in advance of the album release. The song is called "Somehow" and it's currently available on YouTube and BandCamp. It features a special guest appearance by Dennis Mullin of Iluvatar on electric guitar. Links below:

The "official" video:

The "drummer cam" video:

BandCamp link:

https://kevinjarvis.bandcamp.com/track/somehow-2

The full album, entitled THE JOURNEY, will be released on CD and digitally via BandCamp on July 1, and pretty much everywhere else on July 8. In addition to Dennis, two songs also feature appearances by Brian Coralian of IZZ. Thanks in advance for any support, and as always, thanks for listening!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Promo video for the full album:

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Congrats! Thanks for posting.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Some tasteful soundbites in the promo video, Kevin! Congrats on a new album.

Congratulations on the 25 years, man. Thanks for sharing these tracks also
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Thanks so much for the comments, guys. We are pretty excited about it. Here are a couple of updates:
    First of all, the album is available today to download or purchase as a CD on BandCamp. It will be out everywhere next Friday. Here's the BandCamp link:

https://kevinjarvis.bandcamp.com/album/the-journey

Second, I (and maybe another Farpoint member or two) will be on The Waiting Room radio show tonight on House of Prog at 8 pm eastern for a discussion and some tracks from the new album.

https://houseofprog.com/

Thanks in advance to any who listen, like, comment, share, or purchase.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Really lovely acoustic playing and flute, very heartfelt song but also elegantly played and arranged. Just picked up the album on Bandcamp and I'm looking forward to getting a little time in with it.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Really lovely acoustic playing and flute, very heartfelt song but also elegantly played and arranged. Just picked up the album on Bandcamp and I'm looking forward to getting a little time in with it.
    Thank you SO MUCH for listening, for the kind words, and for the support! We appreciate it so very much, and I hope you enjoy the album. Would love to hear your thoughts on it once you've had some time for it to sink in.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I also purchased this from Bandcamp a few days ago. I'm thoroughly enjoying it! I echo the sentiments about the acoustic guitar and flute playing. Really nice textures. I look forward to getting to know this release well!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I also purchased this from Bandcamp a few days ago. I'm thoroughly enjoying it! I echo the sentiments about the acoustic guitar and flute playing. Really nice textures. I look forward to getting to know this release well!
    Wow. Thanks so very much! We really truly appreciate the support. So far the response has been overwhelmingly positive. Would love to hear your thoughts when you get a chance!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Congrats! Sounds good
    Music
    The Red Masque: www.theredmasque.com
    Green Cathedral: www.green-cathedral.com
    Art
    www.lynnetteshelley.com

It's official! The new album is now officially out everywhere! Many thanks in advance to those who purchased via BandCamp. The album is now available on YouTube, Spotify, Amazon, iTunes, and pretty much everywhere else! For those interested, here are a few links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG0y...r17lrKnnCZcqXE

https://open.spotify.com/album/72chE...QOCoprOOsQuMBg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B356WK48...ur_lnd_albm_fr

Also I know that Greg at Syn-phonic is carrying it on CD.

Thanks again for everyone's support, and for putting up with me as I keep talking about it.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Oh yeah, one more thing...Here's the song I think the proggers might most appreciate:

Last edited by Farpoint Kevin; 07-22-2022 at 08:54 AM.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Here's another one some may enjoy. It's probably the strangest song we've ever released. This one was inspired by a docu-drama about the colonization of Mars.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Another "drummer cam" video courtesy of Rick.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Having listened to this a few times -- I really like it! There's a lot of passion and love for the music that comes through, and it feels very live and humanly played. I also appreciate how well-integrated the different aspects of the music are. You're very good at balancing accessibility with complex arrangements and twists in the overall song structure; there are clear hooks and melodies and repeated chorus-y bits but they're a natural part of more complicated structures. It seems like you have fundamentally accessible instincts in the songwriting, but there's more than enough flair and complexity to elevate the material.

Some favorite moments:
    Arrival - The main guitar arpeggio is lovely, I appreciate the very subtle use of synth & chimes for a build. The drumming is smartly Floyd-ish in its simple but effective build which respects the space in the song.

Somehow - When I listened to this before I hadn't caught how creative some of the drum work is; during the solo passage around 2:30 ish there are some fascinating syncopations, brief shifts into double time, etc. in the fills. Love the buildup starting around 3:00 as well, and the quick buildup at the end -- goes back to what I said about smart integration of complex arrangements and structures into accessible music.

H2Origins - the shift to a heartbeat texture in the music at about 2:40 to tie with the lyrics is very clever, and the vocal harmonies and overdubbing are really effective here; love how the parts are interweaving about 3:10, and again later in the song.

All for You - Love the way clean electric and acoustic guitars are layered inthe first few minutes, and the rich harmonies are lovely. More interesting drum work at 4:30, with some nicely intricate ride patterns that complement the organ very well.

Reflections - Really love how subtly used the backing vocal is here, some great delicacy in the performance. The synth line that comes in around 2:30 is a great textural surprise. Really dug the subtle background synth at 4:00 around the "ocean winds" line; excellent bit of texture.

Footprints on Mars - Love the production experiments here, all the synth textures and sound effects (especially the synth texture at 5:40ish when the spaceship arrives), and really appreciate the lyrical ambition in branching out to something unusual.

Departure - Fantastic lead playing here, both athletic and expressive, my favorite guitar solo on the album. Some lovely details in the bass playing too with the slides and high notes.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Having listened to this a few times -- I really like it! There's a lot of passion and love for the music that comes through, and it feels very live and humanly played. I also appreciate how well-integrated the different aspects of the music are. You're very good at balancing accessibility with complex arrangements and twists in the overall song structure; there are clear hooks and melodies and repeated chorus-y bits but they're a natural part of more complicated structures. It seems like you have fundamentally accessible instincts in the songwriting, but there's more than enough flair and complexity to elevate the material.

Some favorite moments:
    Arrival - The main guitar arpeggio is lovely, I appreciate the very subtle use of synth & chimes for a build. The drumming is smartly Floyd-ish in its simple but effective build which respects the space in the song.

Somehow - When I listened to this before I hadn't caught how creative some of the drum work is; during the solo passage around 2:30 ish there are some fascinating syncopations, brief shifts into double time, etc. in the fills. Love the buildup starting around 3:00 as well, and the quick buildup at the end -- goes back to what I said about smart integration of complex arrangements and structures into accessible music.

H2Origins - the shift to a heartbeat texture in the music at about 2:40 to tie with the lyrics is very clever, and the vocal harmonies and overdubbing are really effective here; love how the parts are interweaving about 3:10, and again later in the song.

All for You - Love the way clean electric and acoustic guitars are layered inthe first few minutes, and the rich harmonies are lovely. More interesting drum work at 4:30, with some nicely intricate ride patterns that complement the organ very well.

Reflections - Really love how subtly used the backing vocal is here, some great delicacy in the performance. The synth line that comes in around 2:30 is a great textural surprise. Really dug the subtle background synth at 4:00 around the "ocean winds" line; excellent bit of texture.

Footprints on Mars - Love the production experiments here, all the synth textures and sound effects (especially the synth texture at 5:40ish when the spaceship arrives), and really appreciate the lyrical ambition in branching out to something unusual.

Departure - Fantastic lead playing here, both athletic and expressive, my favorite guitar solo on the album. Some lovely details in the bass playing too with the slides and high notes.
    Wow. Thank you SO MUCH for that detailed analysis and wonderfully complimentary review. I can tell you really listened, and that's incredibly gratifying. You picked up on some things that I wasn't sure anyone ever would. And with the overabundance of new music out there to be listened to, I can't thank you enough for choosing to spend that time listening to our music. I passed this on to our drummer, Rick Walker, and he was quite flattered and grateful. Do you mind if I share your writeup, or some excerpts from it, in some other places?

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Do you mind if I share your writeup, or some excerpts from it, in some other places?
    Of course, use it as you wish. If you put an attribution then I'm Hans Burger from Electric Brain Electric Shadow.

Hi Kevin,

I finally took sometime out to listen to "Somehow." Oh, lordy, is that good! No disrespect, to me it has a bit of Southern rock feel to it, very Marshall Tuckerish, a band I love. The video reminds me of driving overnight to ProgDay on the empty highways of western Massachusetts and North Carolina. Great stuff!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Hi Kevin,

I finally took sometime out to listen to "Somehow." Oh, lordy, is that good! No disrespect, to me it has a bit of Southern rock feel to it, very Marshall Tuckerish, a band I love. The video reminds me of driving overnight to ProgDay on the empty highways of western Massachusetts and North Carolina. Great stuff!
    Thanks so much Lou! I really appreciate you giving it a listen, and the kind words. I'm fascinated by the comparisons to MTB. I hear that often, and while I do like their music, I'm surprised to hear so many folks hearing that influence in our music. I knew that my acoustic/folk influences tended to shine through here and there. Regardless, they are a great band so I'll definitely take that as a compliment. Also, I've not heard of any other prog bands compared to them, so if that means we have our own sound, that's also a great compliment. If you happen to get a chance, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the rest of the album sometime. It has a few songs that I think were really envelope-pushing for us, particularly "Footprints on Mars." Anyway, as always, great to hear from you. Hope you and yours are well!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Oh yeah this is excellent. Not too complicated,And n not too hard to sing, but all the right ingredients. BTW I heard that nod to Lucky Man in there on one song, I forget which. You definitely have my interest. BTW I would love to have played keyboards on this to stir in the prog scene a bit and because I really just like it!!
    A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission!

I touched on this very idea on our upcoming Apollo project album.
    A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission!

Quote Originally Posted by HoldYourFire View Post
    Oh yeah this is excellent. Not too complicated,And n not too hard to sing, but all the right ingredients. BTW I heard that nod to Lucky Man in there on one song, I forget which. You definitely have my interest. BTW I would love to have played keyboards on this to stir in the prog scene a bit and because I really just like it!!
    Thanks Mike!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

So, this might not be of interest to most here, but it made my night...Last night a local FM radio station, WUSC from the University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC, played a short "prog" segment on one of their radio shows. And they ended up playing "Footprints on Mars" from the new Farpoint album, and segued it beautifully into "Fallen Angel" by King Crimson. Never in my life have a heard a King Crimson song on FM radio in South Carolina. I'm honestly not sure which song I was more excited about hearing on the radio!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    So, this might not be of interest to most here, but it made my night...Last night a local FM radio station, WUSC from the University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC, played a short "prog" segment on one of their radio shows. And they ended up playing "Footprints on Mars" from the new Farpoint album, and segued it beautifully into "Fallen Angel" by King Crimson. Never in my life have a heard a King Crimson song on FM radio in South Carolina. I'm honestly not sure which song I was more excited about hearing on the radio!
    I've never heard KC on the radio at all, other than when I played it myself when I had a show at the college station. Congrats on the airing!