Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your recipe against INSOMNIA (mine is oldies music)?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The ones I did myself were the ones that the gov't sent us a few months back. The doctor did both kinds. We also tested my wife 4 times total, and all were negative.
    I started having symptoms on a Wed morning, tested with OTC test, negative. But I had read an account in which that happened, but 2 days later on Friday, I tested positive with a strong line. By Monday, still positive but with a faint line. My symptoms were attenuated significantly. I waited till the next Friday to test, and it was negative. The highly transmissible BA5 can give people small viral loads. The PCR test is so sensitive that it can test positive even a month later after symptoms have gone away and only small pieces of the virus are hanging around. They are now pretty much saying that if symptoms other than cough, go away, one is not transmitting. In the UK, hospitals are only testing people with symptoms who get hospitalized. With BA5, up to 50% of the hospitalized tested positive but were in the hospital for other reasons than C19. Based on what I have read, and I am an American with Quaker roots going back to 1653, the UK is superior in population surveillance of C19 with great knowledge of population antibody and variant levels.

Routine. Cold bedroom. Turning off phone/laptop 4-5 hours before bed. .. I watch an old Western sitcom over and over, so its not too eventful, and watch favorite episodes until I get "double vision", and then run to bed. Sometimes I'll even imagine myself where the show left off -- outside with "The Rifleman" and the folks who have to make a fire, and sleep while they're freezing cold.

Shower at night and .... ahem, anything else that relaxes you... Again, I'd do this a few hours before bed-time, but I'd also recommend avoiding the clock. It will jinx you, the countdown.. Pressure will never help me sleep.

Banned
    I just got personal experience which at least for me proves the benefits of near infrared radiation exposure (NIR). I received the most exposure from the sun over an hour, without hat. I had pretty deep dreams with memory the next day. Could also feel the benefits of regeneration. Nothing provides as much melatonin to the body as NIR.

As a lifelong insomniac, podcasts have been a positive boon for me.... specifically ones where it is just one person speaking, with no (or very minimal) introductory or background music. Has to be individual episodes with a linear narrative. In other words, the grown-up version of "tell me a story".
    And episodes can be played one after another so if you need them to play all night as l do, you have that option. Or you can time-set it to shut off after a certain amount of time. I use a very user friendly app called Podbean. A good example of the type of podcast I mean is one called Dark Histories... although with a bit of searching there are tons of others to suit your particular taste.
    I am also on medication for a few things which help also, but speaking as one of those people whose brain never shuts off, and prone to severe nightly panic attacks, podcasts have completely revolutionized the amount and quality of my sleep.
    Last edited by veteranof1000psychicwars; 11-03-2022 at 09:31 PM.