Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Please - Post Morse Spock's Beard Output

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What is your beef with Nick?

Have you ever met him, or seen him perform in concert before? I have, multiple times, and he is nothing like you are describing. I spoke with him after the shows I saw him at, and he was really down to earth and gracious, and even when he was on-stage he was not a prima donna at all. Just energetic and goofy.
    Exactly. Having met him several times and he has always been nothing but a class act and not at all a proma donna. Having just seen him on CTTE playing with McStine Minnemman, and Dave Kerzner the guy is a monster drummer and a great singer.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What is your beef with Nick?

Have you ever met him, or seen him perform in concert before? I have, multiple times, and he is nothing like you are describing. I spoke with him after the shows I saw him at, and he was really down to earth and gracious, and even when he was on-stage he was not a prima donna at all. Just energetic and goofy.
    OK, I'll stop with the fantasies about what I think he's like. No more.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

There always has to be a contrarian, right? I would put Octane and Brief Nocturnes at the top of my list. And I might add Oblivion Particle to that list, as well. I very much enjoy the Ted Leonard stuff, but I generally prefer when NDV was the singer. Everyone talks about the self-titled and X, but neither clicked with me, as full albums, though I do like many of the songs on each. And I like Feel Euphoria much more than most (though I despise the title track).

Bottom line is that I'm happy that they've decided to continue on as Spock's Beard. And, if you really want to dig a little deeper, check out Pattern Seeking Animals, the relatively new band (they just released their 3rd album) that features Ted Leonard, Dave Meros, John Boegehold and Jimmy Keegan, all of whom were either members of Spock's or, in the case of Boegehold, wrote music for them. Good stuff, as well.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    T And I like Feel Euphoria much more than most (though I despise the title track).

Bottom line is that I'm happy that they've decided to continue on as Spock's Beard. And, if you really want to dig a little deeper, check out Pattern Seeking Animals, the relatively new band (they just released their 3rd album) that features Ted Leonard, Dave Meros, John Boegehold and Jimmy Keegan, all of whom were either members of Spock's or, in the case of Boegehold, wrote music for them. Good stuff, as well.
    "Feel Euphoria" has grown on me over the years. I didn't think it was great when it was first released, but I find that I enjoy it a lot more today. Not their best, but there are some great songs on it.

Also agree about "Pattern Seeking Animals". Having the chance to have seen them live in twice in the past few months, I can't imagine any fans of any of these guys other projects would not like this.

Same thing with me. I finally got Octane and I have the 25th anniversary compilation(which has one full disc of post Neal material) but that's it for the post NM stuff so far. I've heard that Feel Euphoria isn't too good but I might get that one next. I saw the tour for it and it was very good.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Exactly. Having met him several times and he has always been nothing but a class act and not at all a proma donna. Having just seen him on CTTE playing with McStine Minnemman, and Dave Kerzner the guy is a monster drummer and a great singer.
    I'm not a big fan of NDV's vocals in SB, but kudos to him for taking up the challenge and doing a fine job after Neal left.
    Moreover, he is one of the best drummers I've ever heard. He can make complex parts sound fluid and simple, and rocks convincingly at the same time.
    I'm glad to read that he is also a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    OK, I'll stop with the fantasies about what I think he's like. No more.
    It's okay, man. I just wanted to help set the record straight, in case you had an impression of Nick that wasn't accurate.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Same thing with me. I finally got Octane and I have the 25th anniversary compilation(which has one full disc of post Neal material) but that's it for the post NM stuff so far. I've heard that Feel Euphoria isn't too good but I might get that one next. I saw the tour for it and it was very good.
    It's actually the 20th anniversary and the second disc also has a new Morse-led track.

song writing is like chemistry; you replace an element, you end up with a different result.
    Spock's Beard without Neal Morse is like night & day. same goes for many other bands.

I really like the three Ted albums. The four with Nick singing are good but they forgot how to Prog for a minute.

All three Pattern-Seeking Animals are highly recommended though.

And, of course, all the Neal Morse solo stuff since leaving SB has been excellent.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    It's actually the 20th anniversary and the second disc also has a new Morse-led track.
    Ahh, you are right (just looked it up). I was thinking last night that it couldn't be 25th because it came out in 2015 (not sure when I bought it but maybe a couple of years later at the most) and so that would mean SB's first album was in 1990 which is incorrect so thanks for the correction.I forgot about that unreleased epic with Neal. I didn't think a whole lot of it though. Not bad but it didn't rival the stuff he did in the first incarnation of SB. Overall, it seemed a bit pointless to me but I can't blame them for trying.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 4 Days Ago at 10:47 AM.

My experience with post-Neal Spock's Beard is that each release has some can't-miss songs, so it's hard to pick just one. But I would go with Octane (Ballet of the Impact always gets me) and the self-titled Spock's Beard (2006).

And I second the many opinions about NDV. He is a nice, nice guy who loves music, loves his bandmates, and loves the fans. A class act. The reason he gets connected to all these bands is because he has the skillset to step in with a moment's notice and the personality to do it with modesty and friendliness.

I went through a big Spock's Beard phase but for some reason, except for an occasional listen to "V" I find I don't revisit any of it. For me at least it appears they were a specific band for a specific time in my life and that's it.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

I stopped at Feel Euphoria. I like FE, but tried Octane and got rid of it.

I skipped Octane altogether. It too closely resembled prog metal for my tastes.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ? That's one vibe I never got from them.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ? That's one vibe I never got from them.
    Same here. I was a bit confused by that description.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Really??
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    I went through a big Spock's Beard phase but for some reason, except for an occasional listen to "V" I find I don't revisit any of it. For me at least it appears they were a specific band for a specific time in my life and that's it.
    June?

I find the last 3 or 4 SB albums at least as good as the Neal era albums. At a time when Neal's output is becoming a little stale, SB deviating from that is actually quite refreshing.
    I agree. I really like the later discs. Catchy and enthusiastic.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    What has happened to the band? No word from them for a couple of years.
    They're on a bit of a hiatus it seems. Ryo's about to release a star-studded album under his own name. Al reportedly is doing a second solo album but i haven't heard any updates. Ted and Dave of course are in the excellent P-SA (John Boegehold has said he isn't writing any more for Spock's, just focusing on P-SA).

But Ryo did say they're booking some live Spock's shows for fall of 2023. So they're not totally dead. There doesn't seem to be any interest in another studio album at this time. If there were, perhaps Mike Thorne would get his debut on a Spock's studio album.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Al reportedly is doing a second solo album
    I would welcome this.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    What has happened to the band? No word from them for a couple of years.
    Also - Ryo's new solo album (releases July 29th) features Spock's Beard members on 2 long tracks which make up more than half the album. He's dubbing it "Ryo's Beard". Nick on lead vocals on one, with the other having shared vocals from Ted & Nick. (the album has 4 other tracks with other special guests)

So, that's kind of a new Spock's EP right there.