Thread: Other Prog or Related that Could Go Viral

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Other Prog or Related that Could Go Viral

Raising a hat to the Kate Bush/Stranger Things phenomenon (that's an awkward KB lyric-reference there!), what are some other songs from that era that, if they were used somewhere where today's younger listeners might hear them, the songs might catch their ears and have some new popularity?

I'm going to say Talking Heads' "Nothing But Flowers." (1988) That's a super-catchy song, IMO, and has a good environmental message wrapped in some cynicism. It's a song I played for my son when he was in his mid-teens and he really liked it and still puts it in his own playlists and stuff. (Plus: chimpanzee on cover!)

"Love Like Blood" by Killing Joke. Still one of the finest songs to ever grace a presence on the upper echelons of the British charts.

It's as spine-tingling today as it was ever. That cutting bass-line alone is to die for, but enhanced and enriched by one of the craftiest and cunningly adjusted drumming patterns of 80s UK rock, those deep if unfrequent piano chords sending a descending gloom of fierce fire to enlighten nighttime and that overlying chill of vibrating electric keys setting the skewed standard of atmosphere to the total thing. I loved it back then, I still do.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Martin Orford went viral before quitting the biz. He used an Access Virus synthesizer.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Not sure I want to watch the video, but I’ll assume you don’t actually think Territories could go viral, right? I mean, *I* like the song, but…

why not?

I think it could with how it seems to capture so many things going on right now.

Tom Sawyer already had its minute in the sun when it was in that Toy Story movie or whatever that was. But I could see it having another surge in popularity if it was used somewhere high-profile like RUTH did.

I really don't know what's happening in modern culture, but I would guess that longer pieces of music might be more difficult to become popular?

I guess I'd go with

Tai Phong - Sister Jane

Banned
    Greetings to everyone! I'd like to nominate Edge's 1986 song Incognito.

I don't know how we're defining "viral" but during the Genesis reunion tour I was a bit surprised more people weren't publicly condemning Illegal Alien.

Well, obviously not something by Queen since they definitely don't need any more hype.

Roundabout apparently got a lot of attention because it was featured in the Jo Jo series.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I don't know how we're defining "viral" but during the Genesis reunion tour I was a bit surprised more people weren't publicly condemning Illegal Alien.
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't played on this tour so I'm not sure why anyone would condemn it. These days it's probably thought of as the worst song on the shapes album. I agree that it could be a bit insensitive these days but I don't think it rises to the level of "Brown Sugar" by the Rolling Stones.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

It really could be almost anything. If it gets featured in a popular TV show or movie... Past instances I can think of are Bohemian Rhapsody in Wayne's World, Mad World in Donnie Darko (mostly in the UK) and Heat of the Moment in 40 Year Old Virgin. None of these are exactly obscure songs to begin with so it would likely have to be something that charted when it was released originally I would think.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "Love Like Blood" by Killing Joke.
    I can't say I've ever heard it before but I like it.

The eons are closing
    Personally - I dont know why The Immigrant Song did not chart when Thor: Ragnarok was released a few years ago...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "Love Like Blood" by Killing Joke. Still one of the finest songs to ever grace a presence on the upper echelons of the British charts.

It's as spine-tingling today as it was ever. That cutting bass-line alone is to die for, but enhanced and enriched by one of the craftiest and cunningly adjusted drumming patterns of 80s UK rock, those deep if unfrequent piano chords sending a descending gloom of fierce fire to enlighten nighttime and that overlying chill of vibrating electric keys setting the skewed standard of atmosphere to the total thing. I loved it back then, I still do.

The same with me.

I keep trying to get Steve Sperry’s “Flame” to go viral. It might well be the worst song to hit the Hot 100 in the 70s. But nobody knows it exists. Which is a bit of a disappointment, as it is hilariously bad! Who was this song made for?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Personally - I dont know why The Immigrant Song did not chart when Thor: Ragnarok was released a few years ago...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    That surprised me too. One of the perfect song placements in my recent memories.

It only took Breaking Bad five seasons to use the song Crystal Blue Persuasion (I was like, "Finally!"). I have no idea if it had any run after that episode as it only took me 8 years to get around to watching BrBa.