Thread: A New Prog Collective Album: Just what you've been waiting for

A New Prog Collective Album: Just what you've been waiting for

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/prog...e-were-taught/

Yes bassist Billy Sherwood revealed details of the fourth all-star Prog Collective album.

The supergroup has also released the lead track “House of the Rising Sun” featuring Gong's Steve Hillage and David Clayton-Thomas of Blood Sweat & Tears.

Titled Songs We Were Taught, the follow-up to 2021’s World on Hold will arrive on July 1 and is available for preorder now.

Among the performers this time are current Yes singer Jon Davison, former Jethro Tull guitarist Martin Barre, Steve Morse of Deep Purple, Rod Argent, Dweezil Zappa and Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal.

“Producer Billy Sherwood once again leads this uber-talented prog-rock supergroup, this time on a trip through some of the most recognizable and influential folk and art-rock songs of their generation,” label Purple Pyramid said in a statement. “Listen to how these stellar musicians transform the sound of ’60s and ’70s folk-rock into ethereal and atmospheric masterpieces!”

Prog Collective, ‘Songs We Were Taught’ Track Listing
    1. “The Sound of Silence” – Jon Davison (Yes), Geoff Downes (Yes/Asia)
    2. “Year Of The Cat” – Billy Sherwood (Yes/Circa), David Sancious (E Street Band)
    3. “House Of The Rising Sun” – David Clayton-Thomas (Blood Sweat & Tears), Steve Hillage (Gong)
    4. “In The Land Of Grey And Pink” – Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (Guns N' Roses)
    5. “Summer Breeze” – Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings), Steve Morse (Deep Purple)
    6. “Fire And Rain” – Sonja Kristina (Curved Air), Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)
    7. “The Weight” – Rod Argent (Zombies), Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (Doobie Brothers)
    8. “Wild World" – Rosalie Cunningham (Ipso Facto), Patrick Moraz (Moody Blues)
    9. “It's Too Late” – Candice Night (Blackmore’s Night), Dweezil Zappa
    10. “The Times They Are A-Changin’” – Martin Turner (Wishbone Ash), Jerry Goodman (Flock)

Interesting. I actually like nine of those ten songs... I woonder what they'll do with/to them.
    I've seen all cruel people bashing heads each day so sadistic I'm on my way.

Oh, Billy...
    The Prog Corner

Reminds of the new Zombi album that just came out:

No Erik Norlander? Was a Moog solo on "Summer Breeze" too much to ask for?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Billy “Sure Would”
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Billy “Sure Would”

I would buy this for the satisfaction of flushing it down the toilet.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which I'm waiting for a Purple Pyramid release, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which I'm waiting for a Purple Pyramid release, but that's just me.
    Hmm, not really...

I guess the times when some interesting stuff came from PP are long over. My collection has the following PP/Cleopatra-CD's:

Daevid Allen Weird Quartet: Elevenses
    Tommy Bolin: Whirlwind
    Brand X: Manifest Destiny
    Billy Cobham: Reflected Journey
    David Cross: Exiles
    The Fusion Syndicate: The Fusion Syndicate
    Jerry Goodman: Violin Fantasy
    Allan Holdsworth: I.O.U. Live
    And of course:
    Billy Sherwood: The Big Peace

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I guess the times when some interesting stuff came from PP are long over. My collection has the following PP/Cleopatra-CD's:
    I have and enjoy these, but forgot they were on PP. I guess I was being overly harsh.

I have these:

Ash Ra Tempel - Join Inn / Starring Rosi
    Ash Ra Tempel - Schwingungen / Seven Up
    Cluster - First Encounter Tour 1996
    Michael Rother - Chronicles
    Nik Turner - Space Ritual Live
    Nik Turner - Space Fusion Odyssey
    Yes - Keys to Ascension 2

I have and enjoy these, but forgot they were on PP. I guess I was being overly harsh.
    Yes, these are my favorites too, although Allan wasn't happy with the Live-album (like he wasn't happy with so much more of his great catalogue).

It was apparently more like it was not authorized by him at all:

I.O.U. Live (album)

Allan considered this a bootleg, and was able to pull it off the market. The recording is the soundtrack to Allan’s “Tokyo Dream” concert from 1984, featuring Allan, Chad, Jimmy and Paul Williams.
    A Conversation With Allan Holdsworth (Abstract Logix 2005)

Bill: Speaking of bootlegs, I saw a CD the other day at a store here in town...it’s a live I.O.U. gig being marketed by (I.O.U. singer) Paul Williams.

Allan: Oh yeah, it’s a bootleg. Yeah, I have a little bit of a problem with that guy.

Bill: Yeah, I would think so. There’s a big picture of him on the inside and none of you. It’s like the Paul Williams show.

Allan: Yeah, except that he’s ripping everybody else off. It was from a tape of a gig we did in Japan in 1985. He took the audio portion of what was a video and made his own album cover. Pretty sad.

Personally, I must say I am happy that the video exists, for there is relatively little professional footage from his 80s heydays. But this type of spinoff product is certainly
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

^^Manifesto Records released this material on the CD/DVD "Live In Japan 1984" in 2018.

They do churn them out... I enjoyed the previous Prog Collective album, Worlds on Hold, https://theprogcollective.bandcamp.c...worlds-on-hold , which was mostly original material with a few covers. (The switch fully to covers is notable.) "Summer Breeze" with Roine Stolt and Steve Morse might be interesting.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Daevid Allen Weird Quartet: Elevenses
    Tommy Bolin: Whirlwind
    Billy Cobham: Reflected Journey
    The Fusion Syndicate: The Fusion Syndicate
    Jerry Goodman: Violin Fantasy
    And of course:
    Billy Sherwood: The Big Peace
    My latest Purple Pyramid acquisition is the 7-disc Huy Lloyd-Langton Anthology box. At thirty bucks, that's a steal.