Thread: New Band Six by Six - Robert Berry/Ian Crichton/Nigel Glockler

New Band Six by Six - Robert Berry/Ian Crichton/Nigel Glockler

New band coming on Inside Out - Robert Berry (3), Ian Crichton (Saga) and Nigel Glockler (Saxon, NeroTrend & many others)

The eons are closing
    I liked the first teaser "better" - the 2nd clip with the vox - definitely recognizable Berry production.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

First full video:

Definitely in on this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

From the press blurb:

The band's roots can be traced back to when Glockler and Berry were together as part of Yes guitarist Steve Howe’s GTR. Crichton and Glockler also contributed to Asia sessions and recordings, while Berry was the link for his guitarist friend Pat Thrall joining that band.

“Throughout my career, I’ve been very selective about what to get involved in outside Saga and when opportunities have arisen, I have said ‘no’ far more often than I have said ‘yes’," Ian Crichton admits. "When Robert's manager contacted me in 2020 and explained what Robert was seeking to do creatively and how my guitar could be central to the musical vision, I was intrigued. Now it’s over 18 months and many Zoom calls later, but crucially Robert, Nigel and I have also spent plenty of time together at Robert’s base in northern California. We’re three experienced players from three different countries, and with our six hands, we’re here to break the rock music mould. SiX By SiX is a band that we’ve built together and nurtured into a unique style that I'm very proud of.”

Nigel Glockler adds: “When Robert and Ian first approached me about becoming part of this band, I felt very honoured to be asked and absolutely thrilled to be working with a couple of guys I’ve admired for a long time. Robert and I first met during GTR days and we’ve kept in touch ever since. My path has crossed with Ian many times on the road over the years, so once the three of us got together in California it was like a meeting of old friends. Musically it immediately clicked and working within the framework of a three piece allows us to branch out in all directions and really push ourselves. I’m best known as the Saxon drummer, but I’ve always been a massive fan of progressive rock – Genesis and PFM are amongst my favourite bands! SiX By SiX is just the beginning of an exciting journey - bring it on!”

Robert Berry says, “After working with the genius of Keith Emerson and losing that musical partnership in 2016 following Keith’s death, I faced a daunting question: whether to bring down the curtain creatively or seek something inspiring which would reach new musical heights. My intuition was to lean into a dramatically more guitar oriented direction. But which guitarist is as impressive as Keith was as a keyboardist? At my manager’s suggestion, an incredible meeting of minds, style and future goals was struck with Ian Crichton. Was it luck, timing or destiny? I think it was all three because 3 is my lucky number. Ian and I were determined to keep this a 3 piece band (there’s that number again) and needed a drummer with a similar mindset and who is a solid, heavy hitter. My friend Nigel Glockler was the perfect fit. And with this extraordinary combination of friendship, musicality, and humour, a Brit, a Canadian and an American have come together as the brand new band SiX By SiX."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That song doesn’t do a lot for me, but I’m glad Ian Crichton has another project, since Sadler has Progject. I’ll probably buy a download to support this. Berry is the one singing?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Berry is the one singing?
    In that song, yes. And probably throughout the whole album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Not a huge Berry fan here but I like this alot.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

This sounds pretty promising. Berry's stuff is usually a little too AOR/commercial for my taste, but this seems to have a little more edge. Crichton is a great guitarist who deserves more attention.

Don't forget Glockler's fantastic work with Toyah!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Crichton is a great guitarist who deserves more attention.
    Affirmative.

When I first heard the short clip of Yearning, I wasn't sure about Berry's vocals, but this official clip, I like everything about it.
    Big Ian Crichton fan, and like Jed wrote, I'm so happy he's found an outside project.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457