Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Banks Says Peter Gabriel Years Weren’t Genesis’ ‘Glory Days’

Tony Banks Says Peter Gabriel Years Weren’t Genesis’ ‘Glory Days’

From a recent interview with Classic Crock:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/genesis-glory-days/

Admit it. You were lusting after another Genesis thread.

We aim to please.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Admit it. You were lusting after another Genesis thread.
    Can never have too many of those.

Hot take: As much as I love Genesis' during the Gabriel-era, I might have to agree with Tony on this. The G-men remain my favorite prog-rock band, but from the perspective of one of the guys actually in the band, I can see how he might feel differently than I do.

On a semi-related note, the other night I listened to some of Trespass for the first time in quite a while. "Looking For Someone" is such a cool song.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I find most musicians don't think their early years were their best. Maybe Fripp with his frequent celebration of 1969 King Crimson is one exception.

The "Glory Days" for any band are the ones where you're all world famous millionaires.
    The Prog Corner

I think they were still learning their craft in those years. I mean, you can hear them experimenting and building on what came before as the albums progress.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Yeah, I love the way Invisible Touch builds on Watcher of the Skies..... 😀

I remember around the early 80's Banks said Wind and Wuthering was his favorite Genesis album, but that "Supper's Ready" and "Duchess" were his favorite Genesis songs. Not sure if he's revised his opinion since. (I think later he said the first side of the s/t "shapes" album was one of his favorites as well.)

The Gabriel era is not really my fave either. I love Trick to Duke the most.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I remember around the early 80's Banks said Wind and Wuthering was his favorite Genesis album, but that "Supper's Ready" and "Duchess" were his favorite Genesis songs. Not sure if he's revised his opinion since. (I think later he said the first side of the s/t "shapes" album was one of his favorites as well.)
    It's Rutherford who claims side one of the self-titled album as his favourite. Banks flip-flops between W&W and Duke.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Gabriel era for me was the best from Genesis, followed by the Hackett era.

Banned
    I began with TOTT being my favorite album primarily because for my ears production can get in the way, but SEBTP was a close second. Then came the remixes of the Gabriel years recording on SACD and I felt that those recordings (especially Trespass, NC and Foxtrot) brought out just how much better those years were. Then the Collins years up to Duke were second. Subsequent years were a major disappointment with Dance being the ultimate low point. CAS is not bad, but has not been worth my time.

I would say that part of the Gabriel years were part of Genesis' "glory days." For me, the "Glory Days" would be Nursery Cryme through Wind and Wuthering, though I might exempt the Lamb from that -- it's a great album, but it's not really much like Genesis, if you see what I mean.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I thought they were at their peak when they were in the video as homeless people.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I agree with Peter Gabriel’s assessment:

“Supper’s Ready” and the Lamb album are the crown jewels.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I agree with Peter Gabriel’s assessment:

“Supper’s Ready” and the Lamb album are the crown jewels.
    Ok, but not as fashionable as the Queen herself

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I would say that part of the Gabriel years were part of Genesis' "glory days." For me, the "Glory Days" would be Nursery Cryme through Wind and Wuthering, though I might exempt the Lamb from that -- it's a great album, but it's not really much like Genesis, if you see what I mean.
    I would put it a different way. SEBTP stands out from the PG years, but if I pulled SEBTP out, I get a more continuous impression from Foxtrot to the Lamb. SEBTP has more of the personality displayed in the Collins/Hackett records.

We all know artists are rarely good judges of their work. Think Jagger and Exile, he has no clue what the fuss is all about.

Conversely, they are excellent judges of their own bank balances.

Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    The Gabriel era for me was the best from Genesis, followed by the Hackett era.
    Obviously there's a bit of overlap too. If we combine them then that's eight full studio albums (not counting live albums or Spot The Pigeon). There were seven studio albums after W&W and that's including one that didn't even have Phil Collins on it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    For me, the glory years were from 1970 to 1980. Nuff said.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The best Genesis years were whatever YOU thought they were, no more no less. They were fantastic if you thought they were, and I did from beginning to end. It's way to late to pick everything apart at this point. To me it was all good, I loved it all or at least most of it. I hate to say it but compare their music to what you are mostly getting today,and then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That is the time period which I collect by Genesis. Worldwide Singles, vinyl Bootlegs, Radio Shows, Tour Programs, promotional memorabilia, etc. Nothing on either side of those years interests me, from a collecting standpoint.

Banned
    If we were to define the Glory years of Genesis as those years where sales exceeded 1 million and that would be from when ATTWT was released and later.

https://bestsellingalbums.org/artist/4638

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I second that emotion. That's the period where I grew into Prog and Genesis became one of my favorite bands of all-time. That's also the span which produced three of my Top 50 albums of all time. What a decade long run of stellar musicianship and composition.

Collins was a better singer than Gabriel.

The Jonathan Silver years were Genesis’ glory years.