Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tony Banks Says Peter Gabriel Years Werent Genesis Glory Days

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Wind & Wuthering is a big step down from A Trick of the Tail imo.
    I strongly disagree here. “One For the Vine”, “Blood on the Rooftops”, “All In A Mouse’s Night”, “Unquiet Slumbers”… I could go on, but I think it’s brilliant from beginning to end. I find it inseparable from ATOTT.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    It does what ninten-dont!
    That’s a blast from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I think ATOTT was still them with the ghost of Gabriel hanging around the songwriting. W&W is them having shed the attempts to be silly and is the darker of the two records - reflecting a lot more of the Banksian melancholy. It also has great Hackett contributions. He's featured in a way he wasn't since SEBTP.
    I do feel that One For The Vine is a masterpiece. But nothing else on Wind & Wuthering stands out to me. The rest is all rather bland in comparison to what came before, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I thought the 5.1 remix on SACD of it brought out more depth in Collins voice which perhaps suffered from compression. There were admissions that the production of the album was lacking, especially after the masterpiece of production Truck of the Tail which even was put on half speed master. I didnt notice much improvement on TOTT at all. But dynamics are so important and they were significantly improved on W&W.
    Throw in ATTW3 another album where the production was a problem. Its not high on many fans or even the bands best albums list, but I enjoy the hell of of it.

I do feel that “One For The Vine” is a masterpiece. But nothing else on Wind & Wuthering stands out to me. The rest is all rather bland in comparison to what came before, in my opinion.
    "One For The Vine" is IMHO Tony's best song from beginning to end. It is perfect. I like the whole album except for "Your Own Special Way" which is bland. This album's "More Fool Me".
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    The "Glory Days" for any band are the ones where you're all world famous millionaires.
    Really, I think that's what Banks secretly means.
    He's often been annoyed at the respect the public has for those albums that didn't make him rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's Rutherford who claims side one of the self-titled album as his favourite. Banks flip-flops between W&W and Duke.
    That A-side of "Shapes" is actually OK (too bad the flipside sucks). Their best post-Duke moment, AFAIAC

Then the Collins years up to Duke were second. Subsequent years were a major disappointment with Dance being the ultimate low point. CAS is not bad, but has not been worth my time.
    I can agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It wasn't facetious, and I think Genesis' records post-Wind & Wuthering aren't really much of anything.
    First, Seconds Out is post W&W

Other than that, it's a shortcut I took for two decades (even if I listened to loeads of ATTWT at release time, but I blamed that era for being responsible of Abacrap, Indelible Trash etc...).

But both ATTWT and Duke were the product of its era (they were trying to survive), and I prefer the former.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I strongly disagree here. “One For the Vine”, “Blood on the Rooftops”, “All In A Mouse’s Night”, “Unquiet Slumbers”… I could go on, but I think it’s brilliant from beginning to end. I find it inseparable from ATOTT.
    They are +/- inseparable, but I wouldn't say W&W is a big step down. It's not as good, because....

I like the whole album except for "Your Own Special Way" which is bland. This album's "More Fool Me".
    Yup, that really hurts the album. Even if YOSW had been half as long, it still sucks. The Spot The Pigeon EP is not good either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Could not disagree more.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    Collins was a better singer than Gabriel.
    But as Peter himself once said (something along the lines of): "Phil can sing Supper's Ready better than me, but he can't sing it like me".

For me at least, Phil might be a 'better' singer, but I don't think that he can communicate the Gabriel era songs as effectively as Peter. YMMV.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Probably depends on which age group you talk to.
    I'm not sure age has a lot to do with it.

Making MONEY more important than CREATIVITY??????

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Making MONEY more important than CREATIVITY??????
    Those who are lucky have both. However, a lot of creative people reach a point where they've been busting their ass for years and have little to show for it. Writing and performing epic songs, touring constantly, and in the end some record exec gives you an ultimatum from the accounting department. At some point, whether it's Tony Banks or anyone else, they've got to look at the situation and say, "Is this all I get?"
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

It's a step down only because I think A Trick of the Tail is their best album. Wind and Wuthering is still an excellent album.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    But as Peter himself once said (something along the lines of): "Phil can sing Supper's Ready better than me, but he can't sing it like me".

For me at least, Phil might be a 'better' singer, but I don't think that he can communicate the Gabriel era songs as effectively as Peter. YMMV.

Neil
    Yeah, I agree with you. Phil does a fine job with that material, but it's not the same as when Peter delivers it.

It is also possible that it's tough to say that the peak of his career (or anybody's career) wrapped up by the time he was 25. Plus, it seems it was a bit of a struggle in the Gabriel years with the fight of getting everyone's ideas on record. By the time it was just the three of them, especially after Duke, songs were less complex, and the songwriting was split evenly. This IMO was unfortunate on ABACAB as some of the better stuff didn't make the album.
    Last edited by Tangram; 06-14-2022 at 03:53 PM.

Those who are lucky have both. However, a lot of creative people reach a point where they've been busting their ass for years and have little to show for it. Writing and performing epic songs, touring constantly, and in the end some record exec gives you an ultimatum from the accounting department. At some point, whether it's Tony Banks or anyone else, they've got to look at the situation and say, "Is this all I get?"
    Trotsky defending capitalism, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    Trotsky defending capitalism, nice.
    I tend to defend reality.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    We all know artists are rarely good judges of their work. Think Jagger and Exile, he has no clue what the fuss is all about.

Conversely, they are excellent judges of their own bank balances.
    Perfect summation.

Neil

The glory days....from trespass to w & w for me

To me 'glory days' implies fame, popularity and adulation ...... none of those things were true during the Gabriel Years, even if the early albums crushed the later ones in terms of creativity. Although they are my personal least favorite albums, Genesis' glory days were Invisible Touch./We Can't Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    To me 'glory days' implies fame, popularity and adulation ...... none of those things were true during the Gabriel Years, even if the early albums crushed the later ones in terms of creativity. Although they are my personal least favorite albums, Genesis' glory days were Invisible Touch./We Can't Dance.
    You've nailed it there. Fans tend to either ignore or re-write history. But it's hard to fault the band for not looking back on the Lamb tour (for instance) as the glory days, when they were not only broke but in debt. Phil has said he looked out at a sea of bored faces in the audience every night. There were constant technical problems. They only got played on the graveyard shift of college radio stations. The last show of the tour was canceled because hardly any tickets sold.

Compare that experience to that of playing multiple sold-out spectacles at Wembley and Madison Square Garden to the deafening roar of 20,000 fans, your picture in every newspaper and magazine in every city you pass through, your own musical idols coming to see you (even royalty coming to see you), hit singles on every radio station every hour of every day...

I know what I'd call the glory days if that had been my life.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

No Genesis member has said there were Glory Years from a band perspective, but from a fan perspective. If I was Banks, I wouldnt even comment on such a ridiculous question. The band should just convey their experiences over the years, in the US, UK and Italy. That would be far more informative. The narrative of bored fans is perhaps a UK perspective because these folks are jaded. People I know who were lucky to Genesis with Gabriel shows in the US, were blown away. Every Gabriel show I saw from late 80s to middle 90s blew me away. Genesis is not Bruce Springsteen.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Genesis is not Bruce Springsteen.
    Thank God.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Thank God.
    I'm sure Da Boss is grateful for that too...
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I'm sure Da Boss is grateful for that too...

Bruce ruined Genesis as well??

Imagine Bruce in a wheelchair touring the planet
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Imagine Bruce in a wheelchair touring the planet
    "This one's called 'Born to Walk with a Cane.'"