Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tony Banks Says Peter Gabriel Years Werent Genesis Glory Days

These days, which period of Genesis is discussed the most?

Considering they were still in the red when PG left, and the period that most people here value the least made them multi-millionaires, that may have something to do with it.

My fav era is the Tony Banks era - ATOTT thru Duke where he has the bulk of the writing credits

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FirthOf5th View Post
    Collins was a better singer than Gabriel.
    Technically, I agree. I think Gabriel captures more emotion - compared I,II,III, IV and So to Collin's solo output alone.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Considering they were still in the red when PG left, and the period that most people here value the least made them multi-millionaires, that may have something to do with it.

My fav era is the Tony Banks era - ATOTT thru Duke where he has the bulk of the writing credits
    Sure as Banks indicated there are people who have called the 70s Genesis Glory years, but in his opinion there were no Glory years and IMO he is applying a strict definition of Glory, such as the popularity of the Beatles. However, by the 80s there were many bands and/or musicians achieving enormous monetary success because of the growth of the industry with the baby boom generations money.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    These days, which period of Genesis is discussed the most?
    Probably depends on which age group you talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Probably depends on which age group you talk to.
    Which is the Gabriel/Hackett eras.

Not too long ago, Tony said his favorite albums were Trespass through Duke. According to my count, 5 of those were with Peter, 4 were with Phil.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Not too long ago, Tony said his favorite albums were Trespass through Duke. According to my count, 5 of those were with Peter, 4 were with Phil.
    What's the source on that one? I've never heard him say anything remotely like that in 35 years. Tony has been quite critical and even downright dismissive of chunks of Nursery Cryme, Selling England, The Lamb, and especially And Then There Were Three (which Mike also once claimed to be the band's 'least favourite'). On the other hand, he has mostly praise for Foxtrot, Trick, W&W, and Duke, so that statement is highly out of character for him.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

I'm confused. Isn't 1972 by definition the glory days? What else is there?

https://www.discogs.com/master/538833-Genesis-Genesis
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    What's the source on that one? I've never heard him say anything remotely like that in 35 years. Tony has been quite critical and even downright dismissive of chunks of Nursery Cryme, Selling England, The Lamb, and especially And Then There Were Three (which Mike also once claimed to be the band's 'least favourite'). On the other hand, he has mostly praise for Foxtrot, Trick, W&W, and Duke, so that statement is highly out of character for him.
    It was in one of many docs about the band. I believe it was Sum of the Parts, but could be wrong about that.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Tony Banks could only write good music when he was limited by Steve Hackett's presence.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Tony Banks could only write good music when he was limited by Steve Hackett's presence.
    Uhm, no. Steve Hackett didn't limit Tony's influence, it was Peter Gabriel who did that.

Also, Tony has written tons of good music with and without Steve's presence.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Uhm, no. Steve Hackett didn't limit Tony's influence, it was Peter Gabriel who did that.

Also, Tony has written tons of good music with and without Steve's presence.
    I thought that comment was either facetious or one from a fan of the success of Mike Rutherford Genesis, the version which started selling 1 million or more from ATTWT and on

It wasn't facetious, and I think Genesis' records post-Wind & Wuthering aren't really much of anything.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

It wasn't facetious, and I think Genesis' records post-Wind & Wuthering aren't really much of anything.
    Well, I think that's your loss.

Especially considering that W&W was the album on which Tony had the most influence up to that point, according to interviews the band members have given.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

"Me and Sarah Jane" is post W&W and I consider that one of the best songs Banks ever wrote.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Wind & Wuthering is a big step down from A Trick of the Tail imo.

Wind & Wuthering had the last brilliant album cover. Something went wrong thereafter.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I think ATOTT was still them with the ghost of Gabriel hanging around the songwriting. W&W is them having shed the attempts to be silly and is the darker of the two records - reflecting a lot more of the Banksian melancholy. It also has great Hackett contributions. He's featured in a way he wasn't since SEBTP.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Strongly disagree.

Genesis' glory days were when they had great games like Sonic 1 and 2, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines....
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

It does what ninten-dont!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I disagree, Wind & Wuthering is more ambitious, more proggy and my fave G album.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I disagree, Wind & Wuthering is more ambitious, more proggy and my fave G album.
    I thought the 5.1 remix on SACD of it brought out more depth in Collins voice which perhaps suffered from compression. There were admissions that the production of the album was lacking, especially after the masterpiece of production Truck of the Tail which even was put on half speed master. I didnt notice much improvement on TOTT at all. But dynamics are so important and they were significantly improved on W&W.

I strongly agree.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/