Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tony Banks Says Peter Gabriel Years Werent Genesis Glory Days

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I don't know what measure of success it is, but Yes played the same hall (the Cow Palace) on the 90125 tour that they had on the Relayer tour.

In fairness, the Relayer show had a backup band (Gentle Giant), while the 90125 opening "act" was a couple of Warner Brothers cartoons....
    I mean to be fair, I like Looney Tunes more than Gentle Giant lol
    speaking of which there are a bunch of new shorts produced up on HBO max -- they are really good, very much in the spirit of the original cartoons but with modern sensibilities, and they are really funny too!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    I mean to be fair, I like Looney Tunes more than Gentle Giant lol
    speaking of which there are a bunch of new shorts produced up on HBO max -- they are really good, very much in the spirit of the original cartoons but with modern sensibilities, and they are really funny too!
    Boy, given a choice between seeing Gentle Giant live and seeing Looney Tunes cartoons on big monitors in a crowded arena ...

... yeah, I'll go with Gentle Giant.

One of the greatest regrets of my concert-going life is that in 1976 I not only had a ticket, I was at the venue, in the hall -- but didn't see them because, during the opening act (some comedian) I got violently, throwing-up ill, thus missing my only real chance to see them.

(You'll note that I did not say anything about the show where they opened for Yes; I was, unfortunately, not at that show. Two friends of mine were. One said that they blew Yes off the stage. The other said that they were boring and the lead singer looked like he was directing traffic the whole time...)
    I've seen all cruel people bashing heads each day so sadistic I'm on my way.

I could be wrong but I think Bugs Bunny was the opening act on the 90125 tour and Popeye was the opening act on Big Generator. Having cartoons as an opening act almost seems more like something Rush would do though.

I didn't know Gentle Giant opened for Yes though (then again I was too young to be into Yes in the 70s). Which tour was that for? I know Gryphon opened for Yes (on the relayer tour I think).

I've only seen Genesis twice and both times no opening act but then again this was way later on (2007 and 2021). I actually don't know of any opening acts for Genesis except the relatively obscure Irish band Fruupp (I only know that because I read about it in a booklet for one of their releases). Marillion and IQ would have been good opening acts for Genesis but I don't think that ever happened.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I didn't know Gentle Giant opened for Yes though (then again I was too young to be into Yes in the 70s). Which tour was that for?
    1976 mainly, when Yes were playing some of the solo songs in their set. I believe they were also on the same bill a few years earlier, '73-ish, not sure how many shows though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

I can't even imagine Tony Banks approving of an opening act.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Opening acts for Genesis? How about this one:

genesis max brand x.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

I saw A Flock of Seagulls, Blondie, AND Elvis Costello open for Genesis!

https://www.concertarchives.org/conc...ck-of-seagulls