Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You love the band but have burned out on overplayed songs

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

You love the band but have burned out on overplayed songs

The list is much longer than my starting point but here are a few examples of overplayed songs:

Genesis - Supper's Ready (no longer has resonance due to overplaying)
    Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer (don't really need to hear this again in my life)
    Yes - Roundabout (the main offender, now cringeworthy)
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I still love the original studio 'Roundabout' but the live versions over the decades (even late 70s ones)? Not so much. They lost some of the subtlety in the original, I think, and it sometimes comes off as a 'going through the motions'/'let's get this out of the way' job.

The Beach Boys- I don't care for their covers of 'Barbara Ann' or 'Rock And Roll Music' yet they are on every best-of going. I don't listen to the really early surf/car stuff that much either.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have a pretty good ability to not burn on the classic rock songs, but the one I agree with is Supper’s Ready, because it’s a pretty big time commitment. I still love it, but it can drag in the middle.

One that I’d probably put on a list like this is Tommy. I’ve been hearing it since I was in elementary school - it might be enough. For parts of it, anyway.

Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Bouree

Roundabout, I've Seen All Good People, Starship Trooper (live - still love the studio version)

Smoke On The Water

Kayleigh, Garden Party (never a favourite of mine in the first place)

Living After Midnight

Closer To The Heart, Tom Sawyer

I Know What I Like

Time, Money, Another Brick In The Wall part 2, Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here

Enter Sandman
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Bouree

Roundabout, I've Seen All Good People, Starship Trooper (live - still love the studio version)

Smoke On The Water

Kayleigh, Garden Party (never a favourite of mine in the first place)

Living After Midnight

Closer To The Heart, Tom Sawyer

I Know What I Like

Time, Money, Another Brick In The Wall part 2, Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here

Enter Sandman
    That's a great list. Agree with almost all of them.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Roundabout, I've seen all good people - can't play either one anymore

Smoke On the Water

Originally loved Misplaced Childhood but can only take it in small doses now

Closer To The Heart - this one i never liked so it wasn't a case of liking it then getting sick of it

I Know What I Like - the original and all the dragged out live versions
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

The two main examples for me are Steely Dan's "Reeling In The Years" and Weather Report's "Birdland."

Literally everything that Ephemeral Sun has released. SO OVERPLAYED GAWD

Rush...but then I stopped listening to them for about 20+years, and they are now fun again.

Banned
    Rolling Stones - Just about all their early (60's) hits, especially "Satisfaction" and "Get Off My Cloud". What Rock stations still exist play them like they are new.

Pink Floyd - Agree with the above. Great tracks indeed, but not timeless when played incessantly over time and time again.

Many others, too. However, I have been relatively smart and conservative on Genesis' works, playing them only (very) infrequently and sometimes waiting months between listens. Even then, I only play a cut or two off of one album, in order of their release. It takes me over a year to make it through the classic Prog albums of theirs. This stems from the promise I made to myself when I first had a couple of listening sessions with "Selling England", back in late 1973. I committed to never over playing anything on that album in order to enjoy it eternally. It defines my perspective of what makes me love a certain album or set of albums by my favorite bands = Timeless value and endless beauty. And, I've kept my part of the association by playing it (and others) only rarely.

I can still listen to the Who, Yes and Kansas but have gotten burned out on Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and classic rock in general. There are exceptions but most stuff that has been played to death is difficult for me to listen to outside of the context of the album.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

It's been long enough since I listened regularly to the radio that I'm not especially burned out on the overexposed classics. A couple of years ago I bought Moontan and was thrilled to discover that I'd spent enough time away from classic-rock radio that I could enjoy Radar Love again. And in the last decade I've tried to consciously avoid overlistening to recent discoveries. I'm still not able to enjoy Opeth even though I have an immense respect for what they did, because I listened to their first six albums more times than I can count between 2000 and 2005.

What I have issues with, though, is things my wife likes, because she only keeps forty or so albums on an iphone and those are all we have on trips in her car (which is way better for long distances than mine). So, for instance, despite having been a huge Nick Cave fan since 2001, I'll probably never choose to listen to Nick Cave again because her tolerance for relistening to his work has proven much higher than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    It's been long enough since I listened regularly to the radio that I'm not especially burned out on the overexposed classics.
    I think this is me as well. I was super burnt out on a bunch of stuff, much of it mentioned above, but now I can play a CD and happily listen to Roundabout or Aqualung, or even Stairway to Heaven, because I haven't had them beaten into my head by the radio. Admittedly, I try to limit my exposure to the chestnuts, so in that sense overexposure is still a factor. But it's far less than when I turned on the radio every time I got in the car, or worse, listened to it all day at work like I did back in the 80s.

Bill

My question is, where are we hearing these songs? I don’t really hear much music on the radio or net at all. By a wide margin I listen at home or at a mates house. There is just so much to hear, you spin what you want and the classics become a treat.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I don’t really get burned out on songs from my fav groups. I don’t listen to the radio anymore, so DSotM and Fragile etc are still great to me. There is so much music to choose from, so I don’t hear anything over and over like when I was a kid. If I’m over doing it a bit, I just put it away for a while. Nothing like I never need to hear it again unless it wasn’t that important to me in the first place.

Stairway to Heaven - got burned out a long time ago on this one.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    My question is, where are we hearing these songs? I don’t really hear much music on the radio or net at all. By a wide margin I listen at home or at a mates house. There is just so much to hear, you spin what you want and the classics become a treat.
    Most here seem to be identifying radio as the major culprit. That was certainly true for me, as I said above, and cutting that out of my listening routine helped tremendously.

However, your question made me think of one other factor that are more under the listener's control... live releases. A band's live albums are one thing, but I got pretty seriously into collecting Yes boots when I was younger, and the almost mandatory inclusion of Roundabout, Your Move, and a few others burned me out on those songs. I backed way off of that, and I think that has helped too. I have a few KC live releases from different periods, but I've totally avoided going down the rabbit hole of collecting all the live shows they've released. It's just too much for me, even though KC tends to be more flexible in their presentations than Yes or some of the other proggers.

Bill

Only songs? How about albums and/or bands?

I never listened much to radio (if I had a choice) so didn't burn out on too many songs even if they were big hits. In bands I always wanted to play Mustang Sally because I never played it enough to get tired of it. I was always out-voted, lol.

But I probably don't need to hear much Rush or Yes these days.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Literally everything that Ephemeral Sun has released. SO OVERPLAYED GAWD
    You and me, both, John. If there ever was an overplayed band, Ephemeral Sun is it. Right up there with the 1910 Fruitgum Company.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

"Nights in White Satin." Truly excellent number, but truly overplayed to death.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Roundabout....if I never hear that song again, I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Anyone who collects live shows will tell you they have to endure many of the culprits listed above in every single show, and after a while they become pretty tiresome. Combine that with radio's overkill (I haven't listened in 20 years but they did a lifetime's worth of damage back in the day and I've yet to recover), in-person concert staples, and other miscellany and you've got a recipe for Sick To Death Of syndrome.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I no longer listen to the radio at all. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Anyone who collects live shows will tell you they have to endure many of the culprits listed above in every single show, and after a while they become pretty tiresome.
    This, for sure. And why I mentioned 'Roundabout' in that context.

I should also have mentioned latter-day live versions of Rolling Stones 'warhorses'. 'Satisfaction', 'Brown Sugar', 'Honky Tonk Women', 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' etc. Generally played late in the set and always have that 'oh it's this again' quality. McCartney's live 'Hey Jude' is another, with the 'now the boys, now the girls' singalong. All rather bloated compared with the studio originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Most here seem to be identifying radio as the major culprit.
    As far as other "culprits" for getting burnt out on a song, one year I heard Steely Dan's "Green Earrings" and liked it so much I tried to work up a cover version for the band I was in at the time. That didn't go very well and I was pretty sick of the song by the time that was over.

Prior to John Cale’s cover in the early 90’s, I’d never heard the song ‘Hallelujah.’ Now it seems unavoidable.