Thread: Billy Joel Drummer Liberty DeVitto on "The Nylon Curtain"

Billy Joel Drummer Liberty DeVitto on "The Nylon Curtain"

I'm a few days late posting this, but I was fortunate enough to speak with longtime Billy Joel drummer Liberty DeVitto about several topics, but primarily about 1982's The Nylon Curtain, which turns 40 years old this September. That was a formative album for me as a 16-year-old. We also talked about Liberty's autobiography and several other topics.

The newsletter has my thoughts on The Nylon Curtain with extensive quotes from Liberty.

The podcast includes my conversation with Liberty and music clips.

And the full, unedited interview is here:

Any other Nylon Curtain fans here?
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Scandinavian Skies, Pressure, Goodnight Saigon and She's Right On Time are still my favourite Billy Joel songs.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Scandinavian Skies, Pressure, Goodnight Saigon and She's Right On Time are still my favourite Billy Joel songs.
    Good songs!
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

The eons are closing
    I never put on TNC anymore like I never play U2 Joshua Tree anymore - nothing wrong with it - but btwn the radio, the videos and the tour (I saw at Nassau) - it has nothing to say to me anymore.

Whereas Turnstiles and 52nd St get spins...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    I'm a few days late posting this, but I was fortunate enough to speak with longtime Billy Joel drummer Liberty DeVitto about several topics, but primarily about 1982's The Nylon Curtain, which turns 40 years old this September. That was a formative album for me as a 16-year-old. We also talked about Liberty's autobiography and several other topics.

The newsletter has my thoughts on The Nylon Curtain with extensive quotes from Liberty.

The podcast includes my conversation with Liberty and music clips.

And the full, unedited interview is here:

Any other Nylon Curtain fans here?
    Wow - this is great. Good for you! I'm going to check it out soon.. This and "The Stranger" are my favorite Billy Joel albums.. In 2010, all I had was a tape deck, and I listened to this album over and over. I love it all. It's perfect. Not even a mediocre song on this, and as a drummer, always liked Liberty's drumming. I think he helped shape "Just The Way You Are" by NOT playing it "straight" and many other songs, of course. Felt bad for him, and especially Doug.