Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could only listen to new albums from one country?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Corima
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

I think that there is another album coming but it was made or mostly made some time ago and the band is not actually currently active...
    Their sax player, Patrick Shiroishi, seems pretty busy with lots of interesting projects recently, I've liked a lot of the stuff he's been doing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Their sax player, Patrick Shiroishi, seems pretty busy with lots of interesting projects recently, I've liked a lot of the stuff he's been doing.
    Paul Lai also just moved back to the USA and told me that Upsilon was 'on'. Does that mean Patrick is back in? I dunno. But yes, Patrick is busy.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Paul Lai also just moved back to the USA and told me that Upsilon was 'on'. Does that mean Patrick is back in? I dunno. But yes, Patrick is busy.
    I was tempted to add UA to my list but didn't know if they were 'officially' still active. Really excited for the possibility of new UA music.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

And how would this work with international groups, or groups that have moved around, or...
    Nektar: British, German (I can find them in a book on German rock and they worked and recorded in Germany),or US?
    Katrina and the Waves: British or US? Formed in Great Britain, but with 2 people from the US
    Several German groups have members from other countries.
    John Cale: British or US?
    Joe Zawinul: Austrian, or US?
    Jan Hammer: Czech, or US?
    Jean Luc Ponty: French or US?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    And how would this work with international groups, or groups that have moved around, or...
    Nektar: British, German (I can find them in a book on German rock and they worked and recorded in Germany),or US?
    Katrina and the Waves: British or US? Formed in Great Britain, but with 2 people from the US
    Several German groups have members from other countries.
    John Cale: British or US?
    Joe Zawinul: Austrian, or US?
    Jan Hammer: Czech, or US?
    Jean Luc Ponty: French or US?
    The country you select would be Various or Multinational. I hear their beer is good but I'd stay away from the pies.
    Ian

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    This would indeed be most welcomed news.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Indeed, a band that has continued to grow on me over the years
    Ian

Banned
    The country you select would be Various or Multinational. I hear their beer is good but I'd stay away from the pies.

Conceivable.

I think that there is another album coming but it was made or mostly made some time ago and the band is not actually currently active...
    Not quite. New material mostly written, but none recorded. Hope to do some of that very shortly, but I expect I'll soon have to do another crowd-funding campaign. A lot of the material is very "symphonic," and I'm gonna need to hire various double reeds, piccolo, brass and strings, and other players (actual humans) - and record everything under optimal conditions.

Sweet, very excited.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    Not quite. New material mostly written, but none recorded. Hope to do some of that very shortly, but I expect I'll soon have to do another crowd-funding campaign. A lot of the material is very "symphonic," and I'm gonna need to hire various double reeds, piccolo, brass and strings, and other players (actual humans) - and record everything under optimal conditions.
    MJ.

ALL I said about TP was ‘conceivable’.

The “I think that there is another album coming but it was made or mostly made some time ago and the band is not actually currently active...” was NOT about TP. It was about Corima, a different band.

Just elaborating to not potentially piss off musicians / bandleaders that I enjoy working with….
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

It's an interesting question partly because at this point in history there's a big enough volume of new stuff accessible that you could make a pledge like this, stick to it, and still have a good volume of incoming things. Rather than picking somewhere with lots of established scenes, like the US or UK or Sweden, it might be more interesting to pick somewhere small and commit to knowing everything that came from it, while politely disregarding everything else. You could even commit to boosting the idea that your small obscure country had a vital music scene which was on the brink of international significance, which could maybe edge toward being a self-fulfilling prophecy? I'm going to somewhat arbitrarily say... Portugal.

"Games without frontiers" Peter Gabriel used to sing. Borders bring the worst in men's life and now we're going to throw borders into an artform like music. So my answer would be: earth!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    "Games without frontiers" Peter Gabriel used to sing. Borders bring the worst in men's life and now we're going to throw borders into an artform like music. So my answer would be: earth!
    I can agree with that. And if I really would have to limit that, I would say Europe. (To quote Heinz Rudolf Kunze: "Ich bin Europas Sohn" "Ď'm a son (daughter) of Europe")

Uhhh, oops.

MJ.

ALL I said about TP was ‘conceivable’.

The “I think that there is another album coming but it was made or mostly made some time ago and the band is not actually currently active...” was NOT about TP. It was about Corima, a different band.

Just elaborating to not potentially piss off musicians / bandleaders that I enjoy working with….