Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: The Doors - L.A. Woman

FEATURED ALBUM: The Doors - L.A. Woman

Not long ago, the 50th anniversary release of L.A. Woman from The Doors was released. It contains 2 CDs worth of music from the studio sessions (primarily runthroughs and alternate takes). I have always enjoyed the album, but the newest iteration really gave me an additional appreciation of the music. Could it be their best album? I think I went from "not really" to "well...hmmm...".

Review from Under the Radar:
    The Doors’ sixth and final studio album with frontman Jim Morrison (excluding the posthumously-released An American Prayer), 1971’s L.A. Woman saw the group headed in a fresh direction, delving deeper into the blues than they had on previous releases, which worked well for them. Despite such creative success, the notorious Los Angeles foursome, who less than five years prior had emerged on the scene to deliver an ominous soundtrack to the escalating Vietnam conflict and increasingly pessimistic counterculture, had since begun melting down from within. With Morrison descending deeper into drug and alcohol dependency, L.A. Woman was recorded in The Doors’ hardscrabble studio, and, surprisingly, found them taking a more consistent, even disciplined approach. As compared to the somewhat jumbled Morrison Hotel, released the previous year. L.A. Woman feels tighter, more composed, and evinces superior production value, with Morrison utilizing his soulful vocals as he rarely had before, and the group sounding as unified as they had in ’67.

L.A. Woman peaked at number nine on the Billboard 200 chart, and critical reception was warm enough, albeit mutedly so. Its heavy air of deep desert darkness, dragged through each song like tracks of blood through Mojave sand, seems to embody the phantom underbelly of L.A.’s psychedelic scene. Here, Morrison’s lyrics—relatively plain-spoken, and, for the most part, lacking much of the infamous pretension of his earlier writings—successfully retain their cynical venom, while also revealing a fresh sense of dark humor. Opening track “The Changeling” finds the group embracing a raw funk sound, Morrison singing, “I had money, and I had none/But I never been so broke that I couldn’t leave town”—this, among other lyrics, as noted by critics, seems to anticipate Morrison’s departure for Paris, which he would make shortly before the album’s release.

The subsequent “Love Her Madly,” written by guitarist Robbie Krieger, unravels into an irresistibly tight psychedelic jam, while gruff blues rocker “Been Down So Long,” despite dismissal from critics, is sung and performed with enough defiant conviction to render it a satisfyingly energetic listen. The underrated “Cars Hiss By My Window,” on which the group explores a wholly bluesy sound, is an atmospherically mellow standout, and the album’s title track is a rock epic for the ages, with Morrison famously declaring himself “Mr. Mojo Risin’”—an anagram of his own name—perhaps signifying his evolution from Lizard King into something far more metaphysical. “Crawling King Snake,” the album’s obligatory blues cover, possesses such undeniable earnestness that it is hard not to love, with Krieger’s guitar work—some of his finest—serving as its centerpiece. However, L.A. Woman’s key offerings, aside from its title track, are easily “Hyacinth House,” “The WASP (Texas Radio and The Big Beat),” and the immortal closer “Riders on the Storm.” An entirely solid cut, the golden, slightly paranoid “Hyacinth House” is especially noteworthy, seeing Morrison at his most honest, declaring, “I need a brand new friend who doesn’t trouble me/I need someone yeah, who doesn’t need me.”

Rhino’s L.A. Woman (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) features the original album, remastered by former Doors engineer Bruce Botnick, and includes a wealth of supplementary material, providing an intriguing window into the group’s creative process during Morrison’s final days. The listener is treated to an intimate view of the album’s evolution through 2+ hours worth of session outtakes, including an early demo of “Hyacinth House,” which offers an alternate interpretation of the key track, Morrison’s bare confessions feeling all the more resonant. These recordings also include some wonderful banter, casting the group—Morrison especially—in a stirringly human light. It is a hell of an experience, especially for longtime fans of the band and album. Jim Morrison, while more overtly flawed than many, was one of rock’s great frontmen and, when he wanted to be, a remarkable writer. Also celebrating an anniversary is Oliver Stone’s controversial biopic The Doors, which turned 30 this year. The film may make a worthy unofficial companion piece to L.A. Woman (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition), complementing the experience with Stone’s delirious, often nightmarish vision and Val Kilmer’s masterful performance as rock’s dark prince.

L.A. Woman is an unrivaled ’70s classic, a relic of vintage L.A., and an appropriate farewell letter from Morrison, who was dead within less than three months of its release. While not the masterpiece that is Strange Days or the vibrating bag of splendor that is Waiting for the Sun, L.A. Woman is still a great Doors album, into which this 50th anniversary deluxe edition has breathed fresh life. Cynical, sexual, brooding, and literate, listeners old and new may at last experience a new side of Jim Morrison and The Doors, whose iconic rock and roll legacy remains indelible within the fabric of American popular culture. - Austin Saalman

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Never heard of them!!

my fave
    Last edited by Trane; 06-04-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is it Prog?

Their best by a mile, the soundtrack to '71 along with Carole King's Tapestry. Morrison's death was a tragedy but I don't think they'd've ever topped this.

They were one of my favourite not only bands but "phenomenons" in the whole wide world while growing up in the 80s, and my entire consciousness seemed perpetually taken with the task of "sorting it out".

Are they still? I honestly don't know, as I really haven't been listening for some mere 30 years. But L.A. Woman -was- a remarkable achievement in mature reinvention of that "main angle" - now leaving the blues at least sounding somewhat idiosyncratically authentic. "Cars Hiss by My Window" is a devastating feat of hoochy serendipity, and it works like hell. "Been Down So God Damn Long" might not make too much of itself, and "The Wasp" is what it is along with the rest.

But the tracks aiming for yore - "Hyacinth House", "L'America" and "The Changeling"; the latter a ridiculously great opening tune - REALLY come through. They display a sense of joy at not just playing but living, and you sincerely believe the tone and draft of these songs.

"L.A. Woman" (the track) and "Riders on the Storm" are both immaculate and immortal ingravings on my soul. There's simply so much life and love and death at disposal in every little level of those settings, that I could never hope to rid myself of their revelling existentialist traction even if I wanted to. When Jimbo screams "[...] city at night - city of night!" during the closure of the title track, I get to return home to wherever it may have been supposed to be.

Digging this was what it meant to be young and "in place" by my totem of forgery in time. Listening again now I can still feel the overwhelming truth of it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Love this album. I don't think it is quite as good as the debut, but pretty damn close.

I absolutely love this album. My favorite by the Doors, who I don't like as much as I did when I was discovering them as a teenager, but still appreciate quite a bit. To me, this one is a masterpiece. I've even grown to love the blues tunes that used to bore me a bit, and radio overplay amazingly hasn't spoiled LA Woman or Riders on the Storm, which still give me chills. The whole record just exudes an honest, genuine vibe, and shows the band, and Morrison, maturing tremendously. Sad that this is (effectively) their final statement, but what a final statement.

Bill

I love the three first albums. Tracks like "Wild Child" and "Riders on the Storm" sound like Doors too.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I haven't heard the 50th anniversary edition of this great album. I still have my 1971 LP with the cellophane window in the outer sleeve. And a CD version of the same album. As a long-time fan of the band, I find it difficult to choose the best of the six studio albums the Doors made with Morrison. There isn't a bad album among them. But I could hear the new sound and direction the Doors were taking on L.A. Woman, and I liked it. Still enjoy it to this day.

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Could it be their best album?
    This and the debut are tied IMHO.

Can't comment on the 50th anniversary version, though.

The Doors were the first Metal band. Go ahead, argue with me. ;-)

LA Woman is their masterpiece and another entry into the best year ever for releases.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    The Doors were the first Metal band. Go ahead, argue with me. ;-)

LA Woman is their masterpiece and another entry into the best year ever for releases.
    Funny you say that about The Doors being the first Metal band. Robbie Krieger or John Densmore said the same thing in the Classic Album-documentary about Morrison Hotel.
    Although L.A. Woman is probably their best album, my favorite is Strange Days. And yes, When The Music Is Over is very much a progressive rocksong in my ears and heart.

L.A. Woman is a great album and a bonafide classic, but I prefer the first 2 by a small margin. Of which, I rate the debut as their best.

It's a good one. I need to listen again though. I remember thinking the radio songs were the best ones on here by far but like I said I need to listen again.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is it Prog?
    I think the Doors are unfairly mysteriously absent during most conversations about proto-prog.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I do not share the enthusiasm for this Doors album. There is Riders and L.A. title track, Hyacinth and Love Her Madly and the rest sounds filler to me. It's a fine record but nowhere near the first two records or Soft Parade to me. I would even vote for Morisson Hotel over this, which sounds less pretentious or decadent to my ears. Of course it's a must have due to a couple of eternally great songs. But as a whole it is uneven as hell.

Good choice of an album, btw Sean. I have stated before that it is far more interesting for us genuine (lol) proggers to discuss albums out of the genre's strict confines than Porcupine Trees or even Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    There is Riders and L.A. title track, Hyacinth and Love Her Madly and the rest sounds filler to me. It's a fine record but nowhere near the first two records or Soft Parade to me. I would even vote for Morisson Hotel over this, which sounds less pretentious or decadent to my ears. Of course it's a must have due to a couple of eternally great songs. But as a whole it is uneven as hell.
    I can sort of see thinking of the blues tunes here as "filler." As I say, I used to as well, but I've come to appreciate them over time. I'm not sure I'd classify L'America, The WASP, or Changeling as filler, though. I think Changeling is one of their best and most underrated tunes.

I like Soft Parade a lot, but talk about "pretentious." That album, and the title track in particular, sort of take the cake in pretentiousness as far as The Doors are concerned. Side one of Morrison Hotel is great, but I've never warmed to side two. The first two Doors albums are masterpieces, but I still gravitate to the darker, more mature sound of LA Woman. It's all good, I respect your opinion, but I just balk a bit at describing this album as "pretentious and decadent." I feel like it sort of marks the end of that kind of crazy period for The Doors, and was pointing toward a more measured and mature future.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    They were one of my favourite not only bands but "phenomenons" in the whole wide world while growing up in the 80s, and my entire consciousness seemed perpetually taken with the task of "sorting it out".

Are they still? I honestly don't know, as I really haven't been listening for some mere 30 years. But L.A. Woman -was- a remarkable achievement in mature reinvention of that "main angle" - now leaving the blues at least sounding somewhat idiosyncratically authentic. "Cars Hiss by My Window" is a devastating feat of hoochy serendipity, and it works like hell. "Been Down So God Damn Long" might not make too much of itself, and "The Wasp" is what it is along with the rest.

But the tracks aiming for yore - "Hyacinth House", "L'America" and "The Changeling"; the latter a ridiculously great opening tune - REALLY come through. They display a sense of joy at not just playing but living, and you sincerely believe the tone and draft of these songs.

"L.A. Woman" (the track) and "Riders on the Storm" are both immaculate and immortal ingravings on my soul. There's simply so much life and love and death at disposal in every little level of those settings, that I could never hope to rid myself of their revelling existentialist traction even if I wanted to. When Jimbo screams "[...] city at night - city of night!" during the closure of the title track, I get to return home to wherever it may have been supposed to be.

Digging this was what it meant to be young and "in place" by my totem of forgery in time. Listening again now I can still feel the overwhelming truth of it.
    Not a lot to add about the album except to say that this is all very well stated and I agree heartily even if that's a strange thing to do with such a personal set of statements.

I'd never thought much about investigating expanded editions of Doors albums but I have to admit I'm interested in the 50th anniversary set as it's been described. This album has such a ramshackle accidental-genius quality that I can imagine there being some intriguing outtakes from the session.

Banned

Good choice of an album, btw Sean. I have stated before that it is far more interesting for us genuine (lol) proggers to discuss albums out of the genre's strict confines than Porcupine Trees or even Genesis.
    Or, Frank Zappa, Henry Cow, etc. Of course, "genuine proggers" is the key here since there is no such thing.

I am of the view that "Riders" is one of the best Rock songs ever made; that's why I included it in my top 10 rock songs listing in another thread. I also agree with other posters above that the rest of the album is a mixed bag of good and not so good.

Good cover of Riders on the Storm. https://youtu.be/4fGE07dATvc

P.S. She's got a good one of Lazy too

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I can sort of see thinking of the blues tunes here as "filler." As I say, I used to as well, but I've come to appreciate them over time. I'm not sure I'd classify L'America, The WASP, or Changeling as filler, though. I think Changeling is one of their best and most underrated tunes.

I like Soft Parade a lot, but talk about "pretentious." That album, and the title track in particular, sort of take the cake in pretentiousness as far as The Doors are concerned. Side one of Morrison Hotel is great, but I've never warmed to side two. The first two Doors albums are masterpieces, but I still gravitate to the darker, more mature sound of LA Woman. It's all good, I respect your opinion, but I just balk a bit at describing this album as "pretentious and decadent." I feel like it sort of marks the end of that kind of crazy period for The Doors, and was pointing toward a more measured and mature future.
    100% agree except for TSP track being pretentious... Yeah, sure the opening monologue can appear so, but I skip it almost every time. But the song itself is one of their more fiery track (and maybe proggiest). Actually, it's the only thing I save from that album, which is indeed pretentious (great inner-gatefold illustration, BTW)

I really have some kind of (small) problem with those middle three albums (WFTS, TSP and MH/HRC) where there are plenty of fillers (though a lot of bands would sell their souls to write such tracks that might have been highlights on their own albums). I've got the first two and LAW, and made a CDr comp of the middle three and even had to finish it up with tracks from Other Voices (which is decent album and might've been even as good as MAW if Jimbo might've been still present).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I'd never thought much about investigating expanded editions of Doors albums but I have to admit I'm interested in the 50th anniversary set as it's been described. This album has such a ramshackle accidental-genius quality that I can imagine there being some intriguing outtakes from the session.
    There have been previous 'expanded editions' of the albums. There were those 2000s remixes which also had extra tracks from the sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    This album has such a ramshackle accidental-genius quality that I can imagine there being some intriguing outtakes from the session.
    If ramshackle is what you're after, the intriguingly titled outtake "She Smells So Nice" is for you. (Spoiler alert: it's hilariously awful.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'm not sure I'd classify L'America, The WASP, or Changeling as filler, though. I think Changeling is one of their best and most underrated tunes
    I am not impressed by any of this. In fact the infamous word "pretentious" is directed especially towards L'America, which tries to evoke the recent psychedelic past in a rather forced way in my opinion.

Of course it is purely subjective, and having against me people whose opinion I value a lot makes me less confident about what I am stating here.

I am not impressed by any of this. In fact the infamous word "pretentious" is directed especially towards L'America, which tries to evoke the recent psychedelic past in a rather forced way in my opinion.
    Of those three, I'll grant you, L'America is probably the weakest musically, being a bit choppy. I think it does what it sets out to do, though. It's a very mysterious song. You don't know if it's about a drug run gone bad, the arrival of the Spanish in South America in the 15th and 16th centuries, or the continued imperialism of the United States in that part of the world. Maybe it's a bit of all three.

Personally, rather than evoking the past, I hear The Doors pushing into some new musical territory here. If this is a psychedelic song, it's much darker than some of their past forays into that approach. You can't escape a sense that something is terribly wrong here, something deeper than just someone who had a bad hit of acid. It's not a perfect tune, but I find it quite effective, and in some ways quite understated.

I can't help you with Changeling or The WASP. I think those are two of the best songs in their entire catalog.

Of course it is purely subjective, and having against me people whose opinion I value a lot makes me less confident about what I am stating here.
    You're of course right. You like what you like, and that's fine. It took a long time for this album to fully click with me, so I understand where you're coming from. Give it a fresh spin some time, relax into it, and see if some of the comments here resonate. If not, there's other fish in the sea.

Bill