Thread: Acoustic Alchemy

Acoustic Alchemy

I know so little of who AA is. I know way BITD I heard something but I have no idea of what it was.

I'm a gonna get to see AA tomorrow night, a lounge type of setting at the Smith Center. A dinner show. Sis got the tix as she's the one who listens to that smooth jazz type of stuff, which is where AA resides, I believe.

I'm not going to look AA up, I'm going into this blind. I don't want to know what I'm going to see. I want surprise.

I'll let you know what I thought tomorrow but it might be interesting to see what you guys have to tell me about this gig. No major spoilers, please. I really do want to go into this blindly.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

AA is an excellent band. Been listening to them since the 80's. We'll be seeing them again in October. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Enjoy!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Kind of new agey but a good band. Are they still active?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Kind of new agey but a good band. Are they still active?
    I would guess so, they are playing here. I may have gotten the day wrong as Sis doesn't know what I'm talking about the travel arrangement. Waiting for her to text me back.

Ah, it's June 23. Still gonna be a cool couple of days as Primus does the Rush thing here on the 25th.

I'm gonna pay for the dinner. it'll be my sister's birthday gift. Not gonna be cheap but I'll bet it's gonna be good. They didn't build that whole center for nothing and I've heard good reviews of shows from this place.

It's not the Smith Center itself, just in that complex they have this "speakeasy" type of joint. I'm not exactly sure the venue and how it's set up but I've heard of it over the years and it seems to be a really cool, intimate type of place.

I like them, light upbeat jazz.

My computer crashed and took my PE password with it. Took me this long to get back in, the are you human graphics were unreadable, just jumbles of symbols that might or might not be words.

IOW, been a while.

This band, while not my usual taste, was really cool. The electric guitar player was complaining about forgetting his belt so his trousers were falling off. It got rectified halfway through, to a large chuckle.

The place is something you guys gotta see. No standing, at all, it's all lounge table seats. Myrons holds, I'd say, around three hundred and it's a perfect place to see a band like this. The food was crap, they have an industrial kitchen and serve almost no hot food but that's just a nitpick.

The sound was incredible. I was up in the second row of tables to where I could hear a mix of stage sound and audience sound, was really cool. I've never had that experience before but then again, it's hard to get that sound in a basketball arena.

The place was exquisite. It's really a nice complex we have here in Vegas and I'm damned proud we have such a nice place for such shows. IIRC, it was the Count Basie Orchestra that just played there and I would have liked that. I did "play" saxophone before and during high school and played just enough jazz, badly I might add, to have an appreciation for that kind of music.

Well, there's that except my sight lines... dammit. Even if the guitar player hadn't been in the way, which he was, the damned toms ruined any chance I could see what the drummer was doing. He did have a cool twirl where he would switch grips and play a little cymbal work. Did get to talk to them after the show and they were gracious and were joking about a bit. Nice to see guys getting along.

I wore a Rainbow shirt to the show. Not your normal attire for a jazz show. A usher, a young black dude, asked me where he could get a shirt like that and I don't believe he was asking because he liked Ritchie Blackmore or Dio.

So many things have changed over the years.

Enjoyed their Reference Point album in the early 90s, along with an album by jazz guitarist Jonathan Butler around the same time. New Age'y Soft Jazz stuff. Somehow didn't listen to those albums since then, so it'll be fun to hear those again in 30 years sometime soon.