Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Kate Bush song "Running Up That Hill" hits #1!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Hey man, don't you know all the cool kids listen to their retro music on cassettes.
    I actually bought a few camper van beethoven cassettes a few months back, for maximum 80s irony

My then roommate (who was actually cool enough to leave his nice stereo setup with me on loan when he moved out recently) claimed that cassettes sounded great and better than vinyl. I pulled out Tales from Topographic Oceans and that changed his opinion. lol
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    I actually bought a few camper van beethoven cassettes a few months back, for maximum 80s irony

My then roommate (who was actually cool enough to leave his nice stereo setup with me on loan when he moved out recently) claimed that cassettes sounded great and better than vinyl. I pulled out Tales from Topographic Oceans and that changed his opinion. lol
    Back in the day, I used to record all my LP's onto chrome cassettes for playback. I swore it sounded better and saved wear and tear on the vinyls! I think it increased the treble response and made them sound louder.
    Last edited by Steve983; 09-07-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Back in the day, I used to record all all LP's onto chrome cassettes for playback. I swore it sounded better and saved wear and tear on the vinyls! I think it increased the treble response and made them sound louder.
    It was generally thought that a homemade tape from an LP was sonically better than a commercial tape, something to do with commercial tapes being run off at high speed.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    It was generally thought that a homemade tape from an LP was sonically better than a commercial tape, something to do with commercial tapes being run off at high speed.
    This^ Up to 4× speed for some manufacturers

I bought Sting's Nothing Like The Sun back when it came out and thought it sounded anemic. A buddy of mine at the time looked my tape and said. "Wow, that's really black tape. That should sound better. Can i borrow it?" He brought it back a couple of days later and told me to play it. I did (in my car) and it was incredible. He had re-recorded it on his home deck off a CD.

^ This is a really fascinating anecdote! I came of age right after this sort of thing was a concern.

Yes, I remember it being common knowledge at the time: using a high-quality cassette and a decent cassette deck to make your own tape from a CD or an LP would always sound better than a store-bought cassette. I sometimes taped over store-bought tapes to save money, but the results varied.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Yes, I remember it being common knowledge at the time: using a high-quality cassette and a decent cassette deck to make your own tape from a CD or an LP would always sound better than a store-bought cassette. I sometimes taped over store-bought tapes to save money, but the results varied.
    Now that you mention it, I do remember my parents having some home-taped cassettes that lasted for years and years. We moved from Tennessee to Washington in 1984 in a truck with a tape player, and they taped a bunch of albums for the trip, and those tapes were then our default way of listening to those albums for a long time after. I still remember most of Bruce Hornsby's The Way it Is from that trip even though I was three when it happened.

I still have a box of cassettes somewhere that I couldn't quite part with. Some are pre-recorded and some homemade, I haven't been able to play them since my last cassette deck died. Hmm...

Todd Rundgren's Initiation, being an extremely long LP, was cut at a low volume because of groove space limitations. Todd added a liner note suggesting that if the music seemed too quiet, you could record it onto tape and bump up the level.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Todd Rundgren's Initiation, being an extremely long LP, was cut at a low volume because of groove space limitations. Todd added a liner note suggesting that if the music seemed too quiet, you could record it onto tape and bump up the level.
    I'm sure the record company just loved that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I still have a box of cassettes somewhere that I couldn't quite part with. Some are pre-recorded and some homemade, I haven't been able to play them since my last cassette deck died. Hmm...
    Same - I have promised myself I will dump them when we next move, but until then they are stashed on a storage shelf. I made the unfortunate decision in the mid-80s to go boombox only for the move into college so everything I bought was on cassette starting around 1987 and I recorded all my albums to cassette, as well (and recorded a bunch of friends' albums as well). I always thought the album recordings sounded better, but that was definitely anecdotal based on my limited sample. Then, of course, a bunch of that had to be re-purchased on CD a few years later when I caved and went back to a stereo system.

This is actually a pretty interesting version. It changes the instrumentation up, but still remains true to the original.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    This is actually a pretty interesting version. It changes the instrumentation up, but still remains true to the original.

Neil
    I saw and liked that one too.

For that song it's alongside these several other covers I've bookmarked in the last few months that I've considered to be "top-tier". When a cover has enough problems vocally, it only ends up at a lower-tier for me. Clearly somehow I've ran into a lot of covers of this song in youtube during that time, I guess because it became popular. This list is not in any order of criteria such as "changing things up".

https://youtu.be/31K2_zTruVs
    https://youtu.be/7ZGns8E-mz0
    https://youtu.be/AjqW-9ykFNU
    https://youtu.be/tvMPEEf7gnk
    https://youtu.be/0FW3Zu9IYfM
    https://youtu.be/nyiEe_3NsSU
    https://youtu.be/f3ekB7xmnYw
    https://youtu.be/fZEiDyOhiwI

Almost all music-magazines have Kate on the cover this and the coming month. Mojo did a fine thing by adding a CD with tracks Kate sang on (Roy Harper, Zaine Griff), covers, music by musicians that played on Kate's albums (Eberhard Weber) and songs that influenced her: https://www.mojo4music.com/magazine/...022-kate-bush/

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Warners to release a CD single of Kate Bush’s Running Up That Hill

source

The ‘Running Up That Hill’ CD single is released on 2 September 2022, according to the Rhino site.
    Shipped September 2, arrived September 16.

The 5th grader that received this was ecstatic!

I tried to order the cd single a while back but it wouldn't go through. I suppose I'll look on amazon or somewhere.

About the actual song though. It first came out when I was about 15 years old. I was living in New York at the time (what is considered "upstate" to most people) and remember hearing it on WNEW. I don't remember it being a big hit at the time though and I think it eventually faded from most play lists (probably not as fast as "west end girls" by the Pet Shop Boys though but that could be because that was even less rock sounding than RUTH).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

About the actual song though. It first came out when I was about 15 years old. I was living in New York at the time (what is considered "upstate" to most people) and remember hearing it on WNEW. I don't remember it being a big hit at the time though and I think it eventually faded from most play lists (probably not as fast as "west end girls" by the Pet Shop Boys though but that could be because that was even less rock sounding than RUTH).
    In The Netherlands its highest position was 6, while it stayed in the charts 11 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    While RUTH was Kate's only U.S. Top 40 hit, I remember there being more buzz around "Cloudbusting" at the time, due to the high-budget video with Donald Sutherland in it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Fans of Kate's music might like the debut album by Ebony Buckle called Disco Lasers, could be worth a listen? I would say she is one of the most talented female singers/composers that no one has heard of.

https://ebonybuckle.bandcamp.com/album/disco-lasers

American Music Awards (AMA) nominations were announced today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    American Music Awards (AMA) nominations were announced today.

Wow...

Well, it's no contest for me -- Kate's song blows those others out of the water, IMO. Now I sound like a curmudgeon to myself.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Yeah it doesn't seem like fair competition for four run-of-the-mill contemporary songs to go up against something of that caliber. And I don't have any particular issue with modern music or begrudge the existence of bands like Foo Fighters or Chili Peppers (I might begrudge the existence of Imagine Dragons a bit). Just an odd match.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    (I might begrudge the existence of Imagine Dragons a bit).
    You and me both.

I don't like Imagine Dragons. But that's all I will say about them...
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Not that I really give a fig, but given the givens, is there any way the FF won't win?
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Not that I really give a fig, but given the givens, is there any way the FF won't win?
    I can totally see that happening. But I could see Kate winning, as well, given the cultural impact of her song this year.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally